Why Texit is a bad idea (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 07:43:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Why Texit is a bad idea (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why Texit is a bad idea  (Read 1097 times)
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« on: July 02, 2022, 08:49:58 PM »

Any state or group of states that decide to secede will be brought to heel by the US military.

I wonder, do our Republican overlords here have any idea on what to do in regards to monetary policy? Are we staying with the US dollar or leaving that as well?
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2022, 01:31:49 PM »

So the consensus is that an attempt at secession, even a democratic one, would result in a brutal military assault? This is surprising for a couple reasons.

One, this is the way some Chinese feel about Taiwan, yet the latter view is almost universally denounced in the West.

Two, this is not the way subjurisdictions in other Anglo democracies, like Quebec or Scotland, have been treated.

On the other hand, it does follow how Spain has treated its regional independence movements.

All in all, quite fascinating what people's views of secession are depending on the situation.

I think if Texas or any other state became a separate country and it was allowed at that time, or won the war at that time, and was a separate country for over 50 years, I would not support the US launching a war to “re-unite” that state at that time. That is the situation in Taiwan right now. If the Taiwanese people don’t want to give up their freedoms to join the communists in mainland China, they have a right to do so.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies