Why Texit is a bad idea
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:21:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Why Texit is a bad idea
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why Texit is a bad idea  (Read 1066 times)
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 01, 2022, 06:12:35 AM »

I personally think the idea of Texas seceding is a terrible idea. It is a reactionary idea with a lot of the same motivations as the original confederacy. While the rest of the country may become  more liberal without Texas, having a Christian theocracy with oil wouldn’t go too well

First, it would have a massive brain drain to the rump United States as so many jobs would disappear by “going at it on its own”. Second, more taxes would be needed yet lawmakers who’d support that think they’ll end up in hell for raising taxes.

Mexico also wouldn’t be happy about it as well. They wouldn’t be comfortable with an unstable country with lots of guns on their border. It would likely be an easy target for the cartels, especially without the U.S. army.

Finally, secession was shown to be illegal in the War of the Rebellion, which was against a terrorist organization known as the confederate states of America. That organization, which illegally held territory wanted slavery to stay legal forever.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2022, 08:54:48 AM »

I personally think the idea of Texas seceding is a terrible idea. It is a reactionary idea with a lot of the same motivations as the original confederacy. While the rest of the country may become  more liberal without Texas, having a Christian theocracy with oil wouldn’t go too well

First, it would have a massive brain drain to the rump United States as so many jobs would disappear by “going at it on its own”. Second, more taxes would be needed yet lawmakers who’d support that think they’ll end up in hell for raising taxes.

Mexico also wouldn’t be happy about it as well. They wouldn’t be comfortable with an unstable country with lots of guns on their border. It would likely be an easy target for the cartels, especially without the U.S. army.

Finally, secession was shown to be illegal in the War of the Rebellion, which was against a terrorist organization known as the confederate states of America. That organization, which illegally held territory wanted slavery to stay legal forever.

If Texas declares that it is no longer a part of the United States, that jurisdiction will be denazified.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2022, 01:10:54 PM »

Calling the U.S. without Texas "rump United States" is something only a Texan would do
Agonized-Statism
Anarcho-Statism
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -9.10, S: -5.83

P
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2022, 08:24:33 PM »

Secession would be a mess, but it would be up to the secessionists to decide if it's worth that cost. A second Republic of Texas could be a lot more stable than the first with all its resources.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2022, 08:49:58 PM »

Any state or group of states that decide to secede will be brought to heel by the US military.

I wonder, do our Republican overlords here have any idea on what to do in regards to monetary policy? Are we staying with the US dollar or leaving that as well?
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2022, 08:58:36 PM »

So the consensus is that an attempt at secession, even a democratic one, would result in a brutal military assault? This is surprising for a couple reasons.

One, this is the way some Chinese feel about Taiwan, yet the latter view is almost universally denounced in the West.

Two, this is not the way subjurisdictions in other Anglo democracies, like Quebec or Scotland, have been treated.

On the other hand, it does follow how Spain has treated its regional independence movements.

All in all, quite fascinating what people's views of secession are depending on the situation.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2022, 01:31:49 PM »

So the consensus is that an attempt at secession, even a democratic one, would result in a brutal military assault? This is surprising for a couple reasons.

One, this is the way some Chinese feel about Taiwan, yet the latter view is almost universally denounced in the West.

Two, this is not the way subjurisdictions in other Anglo democracies, like Quebec or Scotland, have been treated.

On the other hand, it does follow how Spain has treated its regional independence movements.

All in all, quite fascinating what people's views of secession are depending on the situation.

I think if Texas or any other state became a separate country and it was allowed at that time, or won the war at that time, and was a separate country for over 50 years, I would not support the US launching a war to “re-unite” that state at that time. That is the situation in Taiwan right now. If the Taiwanese people don’t want to give up their freedoms to join the communists in mainland China, they have a right to do so.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2022, 10:02:09 AM »

So the consensus is that an attempt at secession, even a democratic one, would result in a brutal military assault?

I think people in the US hear "secession" and immediately think about the Civil War, neglecting how the "Confederates" seceded and then immediately declared war on the United States.

While I think secession from the United States by a state government needs Congressional approval to be technically legal, I do not think such an attempt would immediately be met by force from the government in DC. (Unless the federal government is run by Donald Trump, or someone else who governs by whim and rejects feedback.)

Personally, my biggest issue with Texit is that it appears it would be done only because the seceding government wants to democratically stay in power and be free to abuse the people of Texas.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2022, 01:36:31 PM »

I lived in the Dallas-Fort Worth area for about 4 and a half years (Nov 2007 to July 2012), and in all that time I never once heard anyone say they wanted to secede.
If Texas held any kind of statewide referendum on whether to secede from the US, I'm very sure it would lose by an overwhelming margin.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2022, 10:58:17 PM »

It sounds like a good idea to me!
satsuma
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -2.61

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2022, 07:13:31 AM »

Looking at our foreign policy since Wilson, the number of countries in the world has tended to increase because of it. The U.S. must take the odd position that it's the only indivisible union in the world.

The argument against secession that I care about is it'd just be a pain to replace our domestic affairs with foreign affairs and have the roads and airports be international borders. Texas (like a few other states and regions) is larger and wealthier than plenty of countries and would be capable of negotiating its own trade deals and alliances. That's not really the issue.

Also, is this really going to own the libs? I like Texas a bit more than the country overall, but we have plenty of libs here. What would be more fun is if the libs break away a few states on the coast to do as they please with, then we in the middle can get the "rump United States" bragging rights.

I lived in the Dallas-Fort Worth area for about 4 and a half years (Nov 2007 to July 2012), and in all that time I never once heard anyone say they wanted to secede.
If Texas held any kind of statewide referendum on whether to secede from the US, I'm very sure it would lose by an overwhelming margin.

I see a few yard signs and bumper stickers locally (Beaumont area).
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -0.52

P P

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2022, 01:11:07 PM »

It's not.  I personally just don't like that Texas are so proud of their state and if they were no longer a state maybe we could humble them.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2022, 10:14:35 AM »

Looking at our foreign policy since Wilson, the number of countries in the world has tended to increase because of it. The U.S. must take the odd position that it's the only indivisible union in the world.

The argument against secession that I care about is it'd just be a pain to replace our domestic affairs with foreign affairs and have the roads and airports be international borders. Texas (like a few other states and regions) is larger and wealthier than plenty of countries and would be capable of negotiating its own trade deals and alliances. That's not really the issue.

Also, is this really going to own the libs? I like Texas a bit more than the country overall, but we have plenty of libs here. What would be more fun is if the libs break away a few states on the coast to do as they please with, then we in the middle can get the "rump United States" bragging rights.

Actually I am pretty sure that 99.9% of countries in the world consider themselves "unbreakable unions"; so the US is far from the exception on that. I believe the only ones that recognize a right to secession are Ethiopia (not exactly a paragon of democracy, plus even when a place did want to secede the Ethiopian army just invaded anyways), St. Kitts & Nevis (a tiny Caribbean island state) and Liechtenstein (a tiny European microstate)
satsuma
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -2.61

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2022, 05:08:44 PM »

Actually I am pretty sure that 99.9% of countries in the world consider themselves "unbreakable unions"; so the US is far from the exception on that. I believe the only ones that recognize a right to secession are Ethiopia (not exactly a paragon of democracy, plus even when a place did want to secede the Ethiopian army just invaded anyways), St. Kitts & Nevis (a tiny Caribbean island state) and Liechtenstein (a tiny European microstate)

Independence referenda were narrowly voted down in Quebec and Scotland, which are core territory (rather than old colonial possessions,  which could be a special case that I won't go into here). But I was referring to the U.S. encouraging the breakup of countries in the past, such as Austria-Hungary, the Ottoman Empire, the Soviet Union, Yugoslavia, and Panama's independence from Columbia.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2022, 02:51:25 AM »

Texas doesn't want to secede, it wants the threat to secede. This is no different than in Canada than Quebec in the past and Alberta/Saskatchewan at present.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies