Kamala Harris: "Do *what* now?"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:52:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Kamala Harris: "Do *what* now?"
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Kamala Harris: "Do *what* now?"  (Read 2080 times)
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2022, 02:20:18 PM »

It would really be nice to have a functional left-wing party in this country.
wesmoorenerd
westroopnerd
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -7.13

« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2022, 09:30:06 PM »

Kamala Harris has failed upwards for her entire career. It is a damning indictment that the Dems allowed someone with such a checkered past, such an unremarkable record of accomplishments, and such poor political instincts to become heir apparent. This is what happens when you prioritize image over substance.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2022, 10:17:10 PM »

uggggg   Get read for President DeSantis I guess, I don't know if we're ready for <looks it up> an Italian president.  Is there no way Polis can win a Dem primary?

Why should women vote for De Santis, a Republican? Women just lost a freedom they enjoyed for 50 years thanks to them. Are we are supposed to vote for the party who did this? Are you crazy?

It's really time for a woman president and Kamala is already the closest person to the position than anyone. Let's see what she's got. Men, get out of the way, you've had the helm long enough.

You can't win presidential elections just by being the better candidate choice for people who are already voting.A huge part of it is getting people who only vote sometimes or have never voted before to show up and vote for you. Hillary Clinton was only able to SOMEWHAT do that because people hated Trump and wanted to make sure he lost. Harris probably won't be able to rely on sometimes-voters and non-voters to show up to vote for her to make sure Trump / DeSantis lose, and even if she can, it's probably not enough. You need to inspire non-political "normies" to show up to vote FOR you, not just people who will strategy vote for you to defeat your opponent. Obama did this. Bernie did this. We need somebody who can do this. That's more important than nominating a woman who's probably going to lose the election.

Here's another angle. See, women never forget. They never forget ANY inappropriate sexual things that have been done to them, no matter what age they are. They never forget the slights from society they experience, such as unequal pay for equal work. They will absolutely never forget what Trump said about grabbing the pussy thing. And now with a Freedom having been taken away from them regarding abortion, I believe that women are primed and ready to fight.

Talk about "inspiring non-political 'normies'" to show up to vote, women ARE inspired. And Kamala is a woman. And she is in a prominent political position in our government. In spite of what people here think, many women and girls look up to her.

If anyone is in a position to have influence over women it's Kamala Harris. Many guys might not agree with this but, well....you are entitled to your opinion.

And in my opinion, Kamala is not VP material. She is not shining in that position because she is a born leader, not a follower. Put her in the top spot and watch her find her voice and her power as a woman, and watch her lead this country in the right direction that benefits everyone. At least she will try.

people like you said those things about Hillary lmao

and much like Hillary, don't expect anything good to come from Kamala.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2022, 11:12:25 PM »

uggggg   Get read for President DeSantis I guess, I don't know if we're ready for <looks it up> an Italian president.  Is there no way Polis can win a Dem primary?

I'm ready for JB. The only way to stop a bad guy with a billion dollars is a good guy with a billion dollars.

I want to see how JB does in the suburbs this year in November before I commit to supporting him.

Covid restrictions are now in the rear view mirror, and I doubt I will have much friction with progressives like Pritzker now.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2022, 12:07:58 AM »

Why should women vote for De Santis, a Republican? Women just lost a freedom they enjoyed for 50 years thanks to them. Are we are supposed to vote for the party who did this? Are you crazy?

It's really time for a woman president and Kamala is already the closest person to the position than anyone. Let's see what she's got. Men, get out of the way, you've had the helm long enough.

You can't win presidential elections just by being the better candidate choice for people who are already voting.A huge part of it is getting people who only vote sometimes or have never voted before to show up and vote for you. Hillary Clinton was only able to SOMEWHAT do that because people hated Trump and wanted to make sure he lost. Harris probably won't be able to rely on sometimes-voters and non-voters to show up to vote for her to make sure Trump / DeSantis lose, and even if she can, it's probably not enough. You need to inspire non-political "normies" to show up to vote FOR you, not just people who will strategy vote for you to defeat your opponent. Obama did this. Bernie did this. We need somebody who can do this. That's more important than nominating a woman who's probably going to lose the election.

Here's another angle. See, women never forget. They never forget ANY inappropriate sexual things that have been done to them, no matter what age they are. They never forget the slights from society they experience, such as unequal pay for equal work. They will absolutely never forget what Trump said about grabbing the pussy thing. And now with a Freedom having been taken away from them regarding abortion, I believe that women are primed and ready to fight.

Talk about "inspiring non-political 'normies'" to show up to vote, women ARE inspired. And Kamala is a woman. And she is in a prominent political position in our government. In spite of what people here think, many women and girls look up to her.

If anyone is in a position to have influence over women it's Kamala Harris. Many guys might not agree with this but, well....you are entitled to your opinion.

And in my opinion, Kamala is not VP material. She is not shining in that position because she is a born leader, not a follower. Put her in the top spot and watch her find her voice and her power as a woman, and watch her lead this country in the right direction that benefits everyone. At least she will try.
A lot of women(mostly white, but not entirely) were quite happy to vote for the embodiment of piggish rapey misogyny.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2022, 02:11:23 AM »

It tends to happen to most VPs but what is the point of Harris?

What does she bring that another random senator brings? Her campaign imploding and her VP office collapsing several times was a big red flag.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2022, 05:29:40 AM »

I think we can all see where this is going.  The next Dem presidential primary is going to be awesome to watch.  All the  accusations of sexism and racism.  When the people that know what they are talking about start publicly saying the things we are saying in this thread, it's going to be great.

Progressives always end up eating their own.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2022, 06:31:40 AM »

The whole entire argument with impeachment--something intensely divisive that DID have the potential to backfire--was "we need to show that we tried" and "we need to have Republicans on record as having voted this way, hold them accountable"

Now that we have an issue where an unelected Republican court has gone against the overwhelming majority opinion of the country, the Dem response is merely 'lets sit on our hands and not try because we can't do anything'

What happened to trying and having public accountability? Was the end game merely "complete Biden's lifetime resume by adding presidency" and now it's just mission accomplished no reason to do anything?

As to the above post:  An unelected Court gave us Roe in the first place.  An unelected Court gave us Baker v. Carr and Reynolds v. Sims which gave us "One man, one vote; one vote, one value." as a standard for apportioning legislative bodies.  An unelected Court gave us Miranda v. Arizona which established the 5th Amendment Rights of criminal defendants.  An unelected Court gave America Brown which reversed Plessy, a move that likely had majority public support; it also gave America Swann v. Charlotte-Mecklenburg Board of Education, which upheld busing of school children to distant schools to achieve what the court deemed to be the proper racial balance, and that decision most certainly did not have majority support at the time.  An unelected Court gave us Obergefell at a time where it was questionable as to whether SSM had the support of a popular majority.

The railing against an "unelected" Court is a Red Herring.  It is willful ignorance of our system of Government and the balance of power between the branches of government.  The Supreme Court was created to determine what the Law was, not to make new law.  It was not designed to be a super-legislature that uses Judicial Review to legislate from the Bench, and the frustration from the Left today is the Court is that they have been unable to turn the Court into that. 

As to the issue of the Democrats "doing something":  Popular support for the Democratic Administration "doing something" is at a low, and justifiably so.  This Administration, almost singlehandedly, brought back 1970s inflation that has been a shock to Americans across the board.  And Americans aren't fooled; high fuel prices are caused by Biden's energy policies (blaming Putin for this is beyond silly) that are designed to strong-arm Americans into taking the bus and buying electric cars because Biden promised an end to Fossil Fuels.  What could Biden and Harris and their party in Congress "do" that would actually have broad public support at this point that was part of what they promised when campaigning?  Probably very little; the "do" part would likely involve a decent amount of backtracking on earlier promises.  That's why they "do nothing"; they don't have the popular support to "do something", and polls clearly indicate that people are not happy at all with what they're "doing".
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2022, 03:10:02 PM »

A lot of women(mostly white, but not entirely) were quite happy to vote for the embodiment of piggish rapey misogyny.

Yes, many of them did. And I call them the ones with low self-esteem, the ones who don't value themselves as people. And I pray for them.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2022, 03:15:34 PM »

What does she bring that another random senator brings? Her campaign imploding and her VP office collapsing several times was a big red flag.

Biden was definitely doing better as vice president and was more popular, despite him not doing well in 2008. He was a true asset to Obama and their good personal relationship also helped him to influence the administration.

In addition to Kamala's problems of her own, she unfortunately has the bad luck that the president himself is much more experienced than her. Quite often the vice president brought more experience in Washington to the table and therefore could help his boss to work with congress. Even Pence did that for Trump.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2022, 03:27:07 PM »

Women get tired of defending themselves from talk like this. And my guess is that usually it's a male talking, because he doesn't seem to be aware of any strengths that women have to bring to the table that men don't have.

Something women do that they are very good at (in general terms...not all women certainly) is that they are natural-born herders. Their flock they watch over with the utmost care, and women are always trying to gather in their flock.

That is not the strength of men in general. If you want to understand the real political climate, you have to look at the males because they have always dominated the scene, especially the white males. That's just the way it's been. And it got us to this point in our history.

But now, there is too much unrest in the world, and what seems logical to me is that it's time for all women to call back their flocks to home. This is a touch that women have to offer society that has been too underused, to our detriment.

The climate of politics needs to change, and that means listening to more and more women. Liz Cheney comes to mind. Her speech in front of her fellow Republicans was killer. She was challenging everyone to turn toward truth, and rationality, and country. Who among her colleagues will step up to the plate, a plate that a woman is leading?

Will she be discounted because of her gender? Will she be discounted because she is standing up to lies? Cheney does not hero worship Trump, yet look at how many Republicans do?

There is Amy Klobuchar who has one of the highest rate of bills passed in the Senate. Does anyone care? She's a go-getter, the right age for President, and I would vote for her over President Biden at this point.

Here's a question I have. What do men bring to the table that we haven't heard before a thousand times? We need to listen to fresh voices now.
BG-NY
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.23, S: 0.42

« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2022, 05:14:24 PM »

Imagine thinking Cheney is in this charade for anything more than her own ego and wallet.

What policy has she supported, in rhetoric or on paper, that would advance the needs of working and lower middle class Americans?
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2022, 07:23:23 PM »
« Edited: July 02, 2022, 07:27:21 PM by hermit »

Imagine thinking Cheney is in this charade for anything more than her own ego and wallet.

What policy has she supported, in rhetoric or on paper, that would advance the needs of working and lower middle class Americans?

What policies do any Republicans support on that front?

I think you are wrong about Cheney. She is a public servant of the people. I think she grew up that way. You are assigning motives to her that I don't think are her main motivations for doing anything.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2022, 07:24:38 PM »

I'll never forget how she threw her own sister under the bus for being a lesbian. Awful person.
BG-NY
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2022, 07:32:05 PM »

What policies do any Republicans support on that front?

I think you are wrong about Cheney. She is a public servant of the people. I think she grew up that way. You are assigning motives to her that I don't think are her main motivations for doing anything.
Opposition to free trade. Immigration reduction. Opposition to foreign wars.

But more importantly, a lot of republicans have softened on social security and medicare. Cheney has not at all.

I turned 18 a week before the 2004 election, and registered as a democrat to vote against her demon of a father. She is exactly the same. She is angling for an MSNBC job after midterms.

If people are ascribing motivations for profit to people like Tulsi, then you have to do the same to people like Cheney.
BG-NY
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2022, 07:32:50 PM »

I'll never forget how she threw her own sister under the bus for being a lesbian. Awful person.
She loves foreigners though, so it's all fine with red avys (and with Atlas republicans). Invade the world, invite the world = good, common decency for citizens, not so much.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2022, 07:42:22 PM »

Hardly fair at all, pretty much every campaign that year except for Static Sanders, The Pres. and Combforkar and Omniglot imploded in some way...even ones with no expectations.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2022, 07:55:27 PM »
« Edited: July 02, 2022, 08:02:17 PM by Fuzzy Bear »

uggggg   Get read for President DeSantis I guess, I don't know if we're ready for <looks it up> an Italian president.  Is there no way Polis can win a Dem primary?

Leaders learn how to follow before then can lead.  That's a fact.  

Kamala Harris is not a "born leader" because she is obtuse to the consequences of leadership.  Nothing is ever her fault, but real leadership understands that the buck stops with them.  

Even Donald Trump, who never admitted fault, governed knowing that he'd be judged by what he did.  People got that.  Obama got that somewhat.  W. got that somewhat.  Even BILL Clinton got that somewhat.

Kamala Harris does not get that.  She has done NOTHING to inspire people to follow her because she is a narcissist who is focused on herself, exclusively.  It's the one thing she has in common with Hillary Clinton, who's an HP but DOES have a major league intellect.  It's why she ran a terrible campaign.  What compelling reason is there to pick HER?  Indeed, even for VP, what compelling reason is there to pick HER?

Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2022, 08:05:30 PM »

This is the Democratic Party in a nutshell
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2022, 09:03:45 PM »

uggggg   Get read for President DeSantis I guess, I don't know if we're ready for <looks it up> an Italian president.  Is there no way Polis can win a Dem primary?

Leaders learn how to follow before then can lead.  That's a fact.  

Kamala Harris is not a "born leader" because she is obtuse to the consequences of leadership.  Nothing is ever her fault, but real leadership understands that the buck stops with them.  

Even Donald Trump, who never admitted fault, governed knowing that he'd be judged by what he did.  People got that.  Obama got that somewhat.  W. got that somewhat.  Even BILL Clinton got that somewhat.

Kamala Harris does not get that.  She has done NOTHING to inspire people to follow her because she is a narcissist who is focused on herself, exclusively.  It's the one thing she has in common with Hillary Clinton, who's an HP but DOES have a major league intellect.  It's why she ran a terrible campaign.  What compelling reason is there to pick HER?  Indeed, even for VP, what compelling reason is there to pick HER?

If Republicans can elect the King of Narcissism then you have no leg to stand on when/if the Democrats elect one.

And if you don't know the answers to your other questions then so be it. That's why women are making gains in our society as slow as turtles. There seems to be inbred bias against them. That's what it looks like to me.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #45 on: July 02, 2022, 09:07:09 PM »

Didn't Cheney correct herself? People need time to think about long-held beliefs and change them when appropriate. You are being too harsh on her. And no, I'm not trying to stick up for Liz Cheney. Lord knows I'd never vote for her. But she is one tough cookie, tougher than most any other Republican to stand up to Mr. T, and I admire her grit.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #46 on: July 02, 2022, 09:26:49 PM »

The whole entire argument with impeachment--something intensely divisive that DID have the potential to backfire--was "we need to show that we tried" and "we need to have Republicans on record as having voted this way, hold them accountable"

Now that we have an issue where an unelected Republican court has gone against the overwhelming majority opinion of the country, the Dem response is merely 'lets sit on our hands and not try because we can't do anything'

What happened to trying and having public accountability? Was the end game merely "complete Biden's lifetime resume by adding presidency" and now it's just mission accomplished no reason to do anything?

I thought Democrats already did that with their messaging vote in May. The record is clear that only 49 Senators support codifying Roe in a way that would meaningfully protect abortion rights, and therefore the actual legislation cannot pass in this Congress and because of that the filibuster cannot be changed to help it pass.
LAB-LIB
Dale Bumpers
United States

« Reply #47 on: July 02, 2022, 10:18:12 PM »

I've noticed there's been much criticism of what Harris said, but very little talk about what Democrats actually can do.
Walker Jones
Rookie

« Reply #48 on: July 03, 2022, 03:01:09 AM »

I've noticed there's been much criticism of what Harris said, but very little talk about what Democrats actually can do.

They think she is suppose to snap her fingers and bring Roe v Wade back using magic
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #49 on: July 03, 2022, 12:25:17 PM »

This was a poorly phrased question and she took a few seconds to process it correctly. And this is a Big Scandal somehow??

I don't even like Kamala Harris and I do agree she has terrible political instincts and will probably crash and burn after her time as VP, but it's also just striking how much vitriol she gets for minor things. Kamala Derangement Syndrome is real.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies