Do you believe that 2007 will have the second coming of Jesus Christ?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:40:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Do you believe that 2007 will have the second coming of Jesus Christ?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9
Poll
Question: Well?
No

Yes

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 69

Author Topic: Do you believe that 2007 will have the second coming of Jesus Christ?  (Read 22722 times)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 03, 2007, 12:50:29 AM »

25% of Americans say he will.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20061231/D8MBQIFO0.html
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2007, 01:04:51 AM »

I saw that.  Amusing.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2007, 01:10:07 AM »

Somehow I feel that those 25% have probably predicted the second coming of Jesus every single year since 2000 or so.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2007, 01:44:48 AM »

well, isn't it obvious that the Democrats taking back congress is a sure sign?
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2007, 03:08:34 AM »

I always thought the anti-Christ would be male, though.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2007, 03:11:24 AM »

I can't vote either way. The only reason why this is amusing is because those of us who strongly believe in the second coming of Christ believe that Jesus will come in the hour we least expect.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2007, 03:14:12 AM »

I can't vote either way. The only reason why this is amusing is because those of us who strongly believe in the second coming of Christ believe that Jesus will come in the hour we least expect.

Indeed.
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2007, 03:42:07 AM »
« Edited: January 03, 2007, 03:44:18 AM by TN2024 »

The hour Naso loses his virginity?
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2007, 03:48:51 AM »

The hour Naso loses his virginity?

I hope so, because that means the End Times don't exist.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2007, 07:44:31 AM »

Nope, the bible talks about a one world government at the end of times and it also says every nation will rise up against Israel. I don't see the USA doing that anytime soon.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2007, 08:14:24 AM »
« Edited: January 03, 2007, 08:22:09 AM by Alcon »

I'm a little confused by the concept that End Times would come both when all nations rise up against Israel and when we least expect.  Unless this worldwide rising-up is in something other than world affairs.  Like competitive eating, or something.

Just sayin'.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2007, 08:50:37 AM »

Nope, the bible talks about a one world government at the end of times and it also says every nation will rise up against Israel. I don't see the USA doing that anytime soon.

Only if you look at the Bible with dispensationalist glasses.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2007, 09:08:29 AM »

I doubt it but who the hell knows?
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2007, 09:15:18 AM »

No.
RRB
Rookie

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2007, 09:31:42 AM »

Believing in the second coming, the rapture, or whatever one wishs to call it is a mental disorder.  Why? Because there is no such thing.  To believe in something that does not exist is a mental disorder.  It is to say that Jesus rose from the dead when in fact, dead people don't rise from the dead.  This is not to say that Jesus did not exist, because he did, and he was a wonderful man.  However, the "story" that he rose from the dead is only a story because, as I already stated, dead people don't rise.  He will also not return because dead people don't return.  Think about it for a minute,  can you really start to imagine all of this supernatural stuff starting to happen.  Do you also believe in ghosts?  If you do, would you go around telling people?  What is the difference between saying that you believe in ghosts and/or telling people that a dead man is going to return, spread fire all over and take those who, for some reason, can proove that they are faithful and go to Heaven.

A friend of mine says that he hopes that the rapture is for real.  He says that if all of the right wing Christian conservative Republicans get taken to Heaven (if if fact, that is where those people end up going), than the rest of us can finally get something done.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2007, 09:57:06 AM »

^ And  new idiot arises. -_-

And haha, if your friend is right then they'll be fine and you'll be dead. Tongue
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2007, 10:47:08 AM »

Believing in the second coming, the rapture, or whatever one wishs to call it is a mental disorder.  Why? Because there is no such thing.  To believe in something that does not exist is a mental disorder.

Uh, by what definition?  I hope you have something other than psychobabble to back that up.  Being wrong is not a mental disorder in the clinical sense, shouldn't be and never will be.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2007, 10:47:44 AM »
« Edited: January 03, 2007, 11:24:13 AM by 24601 »

Believing in the second coming, the rapture, or whatever one wishs to call it is a mental disorder.  Why? Because there is no such thing.  To believe in something that does not exist is a mental disorder.  It is to say that Jesus rose from the dead when in fact, dead people don't rise from the dead.  This is not to say that Jesus did not exist, because he did, and he was a wonderful man.  However, the "story" that he rose from the dead is only a story because, as I already stated, dead people don't rise.  He will also not return because dead people don't return.  Think about it for a minute,  can you really start to imagine all of this supernatural stuff starting to happen.  Do you also believe in ghosts?  If you do, would you go around telling people?  What is the difference between saying that you believe in ghosts and/or telling people that a dead man is going to return, spread fire all over and take those who, for some reason, can proove that they are faithful and go to Heaven.

A friend of mine says that he hopes that the rapture is for real.  He says that if all of the right wing Christian conservative Republicans get taken to Heaven (if if fact, that is where those people end up going), than the rest of us can finally get something done.

Of course something that hasn't happened yet "doesn't exist".
As for everrything else, you've provided a lot of hot air and no intelligent argument.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2007, 10:48:30 AM »

As for everrything else, you've provided a lot of hot hair

Bono, please take your flirting elsewhere.  This is a place for serious arguments.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2007, 11:24:30 AM »

As for everrything else, you've provided a lot of hot hair

Bono, please take your flirting elsewhere.  This is a place for serious arguments.

*mumble grumble*
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2007, 12:18:07 PM »

"in the hour we least expect"? 

Are you sure you are quoting that correctly?  Or, did he simply say, "in an hour you do not expect"?
RRB
Rookie

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2007, 12:36:42 PM »

Being wrong is NOT a mental disorder,  believing in something that does not exist is an issue.  If you knew somebody who said that he saw the tooth ferry and insisted that it was true, would you or would you not say that he is dillusional?  The only reason a story such as the second coming is taken seriously is because millions of people believe in it giving it legitimacy in the minds of many.  Few if any believe in the tooth ferry, therefor we consider that person disturbed.  In reality, there is no difference between the two.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2007, 12:44:48 PM »
« Edited: January 03, 2007, 01:16:15 PM by 24601 »

Being wrong is NOT a mental disorder,  believing in something that does not exist is an issue.  If you knew somebody who said that he saw the tooth ferry and insisted that it was true, would you or would you not say that he is dillusional?  The only reason a story such as the second coming is taken seriously is because millions of people believe in it giving it legitimacy in the minds of many.  Few if any believe in the tooth ferry, therefor we consider that person disturbed.  In reality, there is no difference between the two.

Tooth ferry? Does that carry teeth across the English Canal?
Anyways, that is all offered absolutely proof free, as if it was the most obvious thing in the world. Since there is no argument there, it's not possible to refute it, which is why you frame it that way.

That is the famous argument from craziness

1. I would have to go crazy to believe in God.
   2. I am not crazy.
   3. Therefore, God doesn’t exist

This has one permise that is alwyas false, and another whch normally isn't, but seems to be in your case, and on top of that is also logically wrong.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2007, 12:53:38 PM »

No but this type of belief has been going on since the beginnings of Christianity. Every Christian seems to want to believe that he is living in the End of Days. It seems as if all revel in the thought of Doomsday, be it a secular view of doomsday as in a nuclear holocaust, meteor strike, global warming, or global plague, or in a religious doomsday.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2007, 01:13:17 PM »
« Edited: January 03, 2007, 01:18:56 PM by jmfcst »

No but this type of belief has been going on since the beginnings of Christianity.

Yes, the Second Coming has always been part of Christianity.  Jesus himself spoke of his return.  And when the disciples witness his Accession into Heaven, two angles appeared and prophesied Jesus return:

Acts 1:9-11 He was taken up before their very eyes, and a cloud hid him from their sight.  10They were looking intently up into the sky as he was going, when suddenly two men dressed in white stood beside them. 11"Men of Galilee," they said, "why do you stand here looking into the sky? This same Jesus, who has been taken from you into heaven, will come back in the same way you have seen him go into heaven."

---

Every Christian seems to want to believe that he is living in the End of Days.  It seems as if all revel in the thought of Doomsday...

I disagree.  I do not want to be alive during the “End of Days” since I believe Christians will be imprisoned and put to death.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies