Ketanji Brown Jackson to be sworn in tomorrow (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:25:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Ketanji Brown Jackson to be sworn in tomorrow (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ketanji Brown Jackson to be sworn in tomorrow  (Read 996 times)
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« on: June 29, 2022, 06:20:29 PM »
« edited: June 29, 2022, 06:26:43 PM by Progressive Pessimist »

Definitely the biggest part of Biden's legacy so far. We at least have three Supreme Court seats solidified for another decade or two. That's still worth Biden being President during this energy/inflation crisis. The Supreme Court is equally as important as winning the presidency and Congress now. Forget trifectas, if a President (particularly a Democrat) wants to get anything done they need a quadfecta now.

Historic moment for Black women in America. Congratulations.

Its unfortunate that the first Black Woman justice is unable to define what a woman is, though

I think this is the first time in the history of this forum that someone made a worse post in a thread than SirWoodbury. Congratulations!
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2022, 06:38:07 PM »

When people talk about black representation on the Supreme Court, or any representation, it has more to do with how they'll likely bring a perspective that reflects an important demographic who will be affected by rulings by the court. Thomas, on the surface, was supposed to be this for the black community, but has undermined their interests time and time again. So that's why we have another member of the community now, and a female one at that. Black women particularly, as society often demonstrates, can have the most to lose in certain rulings. So it is indeed a means of equity.

I hope I'm not treading into problematic territory by saying that, but I think it's as plain as a window is clear that Clarence Thomas is not embraced by or considered representative of black Americans' political interests beyond being one himself.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2022, 06:21:02 PM »

When people talk about black representation on the Supreme Court, or any representation, it has more to do with how they'll likely bring a perspective that reflects an important demographic who will be affected by rulings by the court. Thomas, on the surface, was supposed to be this for the black community, but has undermined their interests time and time again. So that's why we have another member of the community now, and a female one at that. Black women particularly, as society often demonstrates, can have the most to lose in certain rulings. So it is indeed a means of equity.

I hope I'm not treading into problematic territory by saying that, but I think it's as plain as a window is clear that Clarence Thomas is not embraced by or considered representative of black Americans' political interests beyond being one himself.
No, you're fine. I'm a Black man and you're correct in your assessment.

Clarence Thomas is disliked by (probably) most Black people in America. It's a shame that he replaced Thurgood Marshall. One of Bush 41's worst decisions.

The absolute biggest Supreme Court downgrade until Coney-Barrett.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies