Harris does her Presidential ambitions no favors in CNN interview
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:50:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Harris does her Presidential ambitions no favors in CNN interview
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Harris does her Presidential ambitions no favors in CNN interview  (Read 718 times)
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 29, 2022, 10:41:44 AM »

CNN:    What do you say to Democratic voters who argue "Wait a minute, we worked really hard to elect a Democratic president and vice president, a Democratic-led House, a Democratic-led Senate. Do it now."

Harris:  Do what now? What now? I mean, we need, we, listen, what we did, we extended the Child Tax Credit.

CNN:  I'm sorry, when I say "Do it now," yeah, act legislatively to make abortion rights legal.

Harris:    We feel the same way. Do it now. Congress needs to do it now in terms of permanently putting in place a clear indication that it is the law of the land that women have the ability and the right to make decisions about their reproductive care and the government does not have the right to make those decisions for a woman.

In contrast:

Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2022, 11:09:11 AM »

AOC would lose worse than Harris.
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2022, 01:00:46 PM »

Fun Fact: More people voted for Joe Sestak than Kamala Harris in 2020.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2022, 01:49:23 PM »

Still kinda like Kamala, though I believe Biden would be better off with Gretchen Whitmer or Susan Rice. She was not the right pick, unfortunately.

With that being said, AOC would be a much, much weaker candidate.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2022, 02:07:37 PM »

Yes, but she's totally right on this particular issue
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2022, 02:18:48 PM »

Yes, but she's totally right on this particular issue

Not really. She just listed a bunch of impossible demands with no blueprint for action. And she has been acting like people shouldn't bother voting D if they don't get done, which again they can't. She's unwittingly helping Republicans. The time to stop this was 2016, that was when something actually could have been done about it. Now it's too late, and is gonna take a long time and a lot of work -- most importantly, VOTING -- to change things again. These are the consequences of people not voting when it actually could have made a difference. I HATE to say I told you so, I really do hate it this time because I wish I was the one who had been wrong. But nope, Trump did indeed stack the court with ultra-conservative theocrats and "just trying" to get around them with various tricks (some of which would be largely ineffective even if they could be passed) is not going to do anything at all. What she SHOULD be doing is telling people to vote blue no matter who in November. Again, she's being counter-productive.
Independents for Nihilism
Seef
Canada

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: 1.57

P
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2022, 02:50:42 PM »

We're reaching Selina Meyer levels I never thought possible.

Regarding the AOC of it all, I agree with Alben: how is she going to accomplish her list of goals? Wouldn't all of these things fail in the senate regardless of whether she pushes leadership to hold votes? Regardless of whether Manchin, Sinema and nine Republicans are on board.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2022, 06:01:47 PM »

Regarding the AOC of it all, I agree with Alben: how is she going to accomplish her list of goals? Wouldn't all of these things fail in the senate regardless of whether she pushes leadership to hold votes? Regardless of whether Manchin, Sinema and nine Republicans are on board.
j
Democrats have the White House and both houses of Congress, Roe v. Wade has been repealed by an illegitimate Supreme Court, and the current Vice-President and possible next Democratic Presidential nominee responds with, "Do what?" And then campaign on "We can't overcome the filibuster and our own centrist members. But vote for us anyway, so we can say 'we're powerless' until the next time people vote Republicans in." Yeah, that's an effective message.

If we just sit there because it's "too hard" we've already lost. Don't do the GOP's work for them. Make them vote down each and every one of these proposals. Heck, a good part of what AOC is proposing is forcing Republicans to stand up for their oppressive beliefs. On the Late Show yesterday, she talked about how just the threat of expanding the court could be used - and we appear to have taken it, and a great many other things, off the table.

When can Democrats expect their leadership to actually get angry? When liberal voters are rounded up and shipped off to camps? Or will even that lead to talk of "bipartisanship" and "we just can't, because filibuster" from Democrats leadership content to end up as a permanent minority party as long as their own rear ends are safe?
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2022, 07:55:42 PM »

j
Democrats have the White House and both houses of Congress, Roe v. Wade has been repealed by an illegitimate Supreme Court, and the current Vice-President and possible next Democratic Presidential nominee responds with, "Do what?" And then campaign on "We can't overcome the filibuster and our own centrist members. But vote for us anyway, so we can say 'we're powerless' until the next time people vote Republicans in." Yeah, that's an effective message.

If we just sit there because it's "too hard" we've already lost. Don't do the GOP's work for them. Make them vote down each and every one of these proposals. Heck, a good part of what AOC is proposing is forcing Republicans to stand up for their oppressive beliefs. On the Late Show yesterday, she talked about how just the threat of expanding the court could be used - and we appear to have taken it, and a great many other things, off the table.

When can Democrats expect their leadership to actually get angry? When liberal voters are rounded up and shipped off to camps? Or will even that lead to talk of "bipartisanship" and "we just can't, because filibuster" from Democrats leadership content to end up as a permanent minority party as long as their own rear ends are safe?

This isn't what Democrats are saying though, Democrats have been very clear from the beginning that they need two more Senate seats to be able to eliminate the filibuster and thus pave the path for legislation to codify abortion rights.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2022, 07:57:18 PM »

Harris is going to lose heavily if she's the nominee. If Biden can't run again, we need to push Newsom.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies