Roman Conservatism and influence on the United States
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:50:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Roman Conservatism and influence on the United States
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Roman Conservatism and influence on the United States  (Read 331 times)
PSOL
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 28, 2022, 06:45:16 PM »

More and more I am seeing parallels between the conservatism of both Rome and the United States.

The notion that the Romans were a particularly tolerant society toward different philosophical-religious groups is incorrect, or at the least overstated. Both polities sought to nationalize other religions into a “Roman” or “American” variant and sought to neutralize dissent whenever possible. The Romans even had a special term labeling oppositional ideas as foreign superstition to be controlled and wiped out. The Greco-Roman mysteries, Christianity among other Levantine traditions, Epicureanism, pro-Plebian thought, even Bachanalia—the tradition most erasing of class and gender lines—were seen as threats and suppressed at one point or another. Even differing Christian denominations were not spared, certainly not differing traditions of non-Christian faiths.

Ideological oppression/class warfare is one thing I won’t mention, as I’ve done so enough in the American context, but there is systemic repression and a history of marginalization of Native American faith, and indeed back in the 17-1800s against such groups like Quakers and Catholics, in this country. At times of war, opposition and social stigma gets worse for groups like the Jehovah’s witnesses just as it did for the old  followers of Christ. Catholicism was subverted and hammered to be more “American” compared to other places, losing old traditions in the process.

Oppression against the Germanics and Gallic people, and the awful border and immigrant policies mirror our own, and the greatest strife occurred when social climbing non-Italians seeking a fair share were reacted against by the Central Italians. Roman social mores discouraged free love of the Etruscans and other indigenous people and promoted structural rape of females at all ages. For same-sex relationships, a cult of taking advantage of slave youth was promoted, with consensual sex of people the same class discouraged. Conservative institutions in this country, like competitive sports or the church, only permit hierarchical abuse of males.

Oftentimes any reforms came too little, too late as there was no real mechanism for citizens to get what most supported anyway. That happened through civil war and putsch attempts, oftentimes against reformers like most state violence and abuse happens here.

Maybe we should take a look at the Roman civilization and see what led to its collapse, and more importantly look at why the majority faction of our leadership looked up to Rome as an inspiration and wanted to emulate it. Or not, and have this post be a huge “I told you so” to later Talk Elections bloggers.
Wiswylfen
eadmund

Political Matrix
E: -2.32, S: 4.17

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2022, 04:18:19 AM »

Source?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2022, 07:31:16 AM »

The thread content is a bit different from what I had expected based on the thread title. I'm thoroughly unqualified to discuss the politics and structure of ancient Rome... That said, based on an excerpt from Plutarch (or somebody) that I read in a college class, there are clear lines connecting Cato the Elder to modern conservatism--frugality, xenophobia, classism, etc. Beyond that, the ossified political structure of the late Republic--with the insistence on adherence to a process controlled by self-interested elites--appears to pose as a warning to modern-day custodians of any republican system.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies