Has the DNC gotten rid of caucuses or superdelegates yet?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:52:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Has the DNC gotten rid of caucuses or superdelegates yet?  (Read 644 times)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 25, 2022, 08:08:50 PM »

I remember them saying they would be making changing and consider these things before 2024. Especially ending the Iowa caucuses.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2022, 08:53:18 PM »

We will see:

In final plea, Iowa Democrats make the case for first-in-the-nation caucuses to DNC committee
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2022, 02:08:01 PM »

Progressives are sidelined as usual, so why change something the DNC doesn’t want? Democratization means improbability that the Democratic establishment doesn’t want.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2022, 04:59:31 AM »

Progressives are sidelined as usual, so why change something the DNC doesn’t want? Democratization means improbability that the Democratic establishment doesn’t want.
Nice talking point, but Bernie did CONSIDERABLY better in caucuses than in primaries.
TransfemmeGoreVidal
Fulbright DNC
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2022, 07:31:55 AM »

Nice talking point, but Bernie did CONSIDERABLY better in caucuses than in primaries.

I supported Bernie twice and I'd still prefer primaries to caucuses, I want fair elections regardless of whether it benefits my candidate or not. Also you ignored the part about superdelegates which are the most nakedly undemocratic part of the process.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2022, 11:37:38 AM »

Yeah, no.

They disgraced themselves last time. After they've competently run elections for a couple of decades, they can ask politely. As of right now, they should be going dead last.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2022, 12:05:03 PM »

Bernie would have lost much worse without caucuses and I seem to recall his fans suddenly LOVING superdelegates once he was mathematically eliminated from winning with regular delegates.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2023, 10:05:24 PM »

Well, Iowa lost first place... but has there been any further rule changes to get rid of caucuses or superdelegates?
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2023, 10:20:48 PM »

I remember them saying they would be making changing and consider these things before 2024. Especially ending the Iowa caucuses.

Iowa's had its first in the nation caucus thrown out and no one is quite sure what the backup plan for Iowa is (Iowa's state government isn't holding a Presidential primary because why would they? They're Republicans and the GOP is keeping ITS caucus).

Most likely outcome for IA is that it eventually buckles, moves its date back, and holds either a much diminished caucus or just what's usually called a firehouse primary (party run, but ordinary voting places and such).

Here's the thing, though: since NV changed its structure to a primary, the only Democratic-side states still slated to hold a caucus are IA and WY. So whether IA buckles or not, caucuses are basically done, especially with Iowa kicked back into middle of the calendar.

Or IA Dems just hold caucuses early anyway, gets denied approval, and goes for zero delegates. Their choice.

(The GOP still holds a ton of caucuses of course)
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2023, 10:57:35 PM »

Taking away Superdelegates takes away some of the power the octogenarians who run the party have so....it ain't going away. It's a great tool to stifle any sort of grassroots campaign.
izixs
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.31, S: -6.51

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2023, 11:42:31 PM »

Previous changes to superdelegates yielded them effectively moot on the first ballot at the convention. So, they're there, but generally don't matter at this point unless the contest isn't decided prior to the convention.

One of the most ironic things about the push these last few years to end caucuses and superdelegates has of course been the criticism from the Green Party and related given the Green Party is very much a black box in terms of selection of their standard bearer in the general. Yes, some states have Green Party primaries that actually pick delegates. But as of my research a couple years back they had numerous states where you basically have to be luck to find out when and where the state convention/caucus is or there isn't a contest at all, delegates just kind of show up at their national convention without any clear indication as to who picked them given the lack of state party apparatus even existing.

And so though I appreciate the decay and ending of caucuses and superdelegate influence in the Democratic Party, I find it funny that folks in glass houses have for a while been throwing lots of rocks.

So maybe a better thread would be: Have the Greens figured out how to actually have democracy be a thing in their party yet?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies