NBC News: Saddam to be hanged within 36 hours
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:36:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  NBC News: Saddam to be hanged within 36 hours
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: NBC News: Saddam to be hanged within 36 hours  (Read 6854 times)
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2006, 03:29:37 PM »

Less than 36 hours now.
I have no pity for Saddam, but this could make him a martyr.

Sadly, in the Islamic context of martyrdom, this is rather likely. Of course, when it comes a Christian context, Saddam is a long way removed from being a martyr since he lacks any innocence. I won't think of him as a martyr in the least

Dave
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2006, 03:47:31 PM »

Me neither. Joe seems to be of the delusion that we are losing the Iraq war. Obviously he actually believes what the reporters are saying.

And most of the government, too.  Who else is there to believe?

Also, if I apparently can't believe what those evil reporters (boohissboohiss) are saying on the subject, whom should I listen to for information instead?  My clairvoyancy isn't exactly up to scratch these days.

Believe the soldiers who are there on the ground who see whats going on every day. I know quite a few who were there and what they've seen compared to what the media says is night & day. Can you actually expect reporters to ever give POSITIVE news?

What kinda positive news do you want? That hospitals and schools are being rebuilt?  That more families have running water and electricity?  That people can go out at night and not worry about getting car-bombed?--no, wait, scratch that one....
Fact of the matter is that they had those things before this war ever started.  Saddam is a sack of crap Hitler-wannabe, but he provided for his people-at most we're working under the 'you break it, you buy it' foreign policy that's costing billions of dollars and thousands of lives. 

Bullsh!t. For certain favored Sunni Arab groups, yes. For the vast bulk of the population, Sunni Kurd and Shi'i Arab alike, not even remotely.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2006, 03:50:36 PM »

Me neither. Joe seems to be of the delusion that we are losing the Iraq war. Obviously he actually believes what the reporters are saying.

And most of the government, too.  Who else is there to believe?

Also, if I apparently can't believe what those evil reporters (boohissboohiss) are saying on the subject, whom should I listen to for information instead?  My clairvoyancy isn't exactly up to scratch these days.

Believe the soldiers who are there on the ground who see whats going on every day. I know quite a few who were there and what they've seen compared to what the media says is night & day. Can you actually expect reporters to ever give POSITIVE news?

What kinda positive news do you want? That hospitals and schools are being rebuilt?  That more families have running water and electricity?  That people can go out at night and not worry about getting car-bombed?--no, wait, scratch that one....
Fact of the matter is that they had those things before this war ever started.  Saddam is a sack of crap Hitler-wannabe, but he provided for his people-at most we're working under the 'you break it, you buy it' foreign policy that's costing billions of dollars and thousands of lives. 

Bullsh!t. For certain favored Sunni Arab groups, yes. For the vast bulk of the population, Sunni Kurd and Shi'i Arab alike, not even remotely.

I agree--to MOST--he is hated.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2006, 05:19:09 PM »

I am not too thrilled to see Sadam hung:
1)  Long trials like this involving obvious guilt make a mockery out of justice
2)  It would have been better to have hung him within hours of his capture on Dec 13 2003 (yeah, he has been in prison for over 3 years!)
3)  I don't like seeing anyone die unsaved.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2006, 05:34:28 PM »

How can his execution be the right thing to do if there is even the possibility that it could lead to the death of innocent people?
Why should than not matter?

So I guess you and the others here wouldn't have supported the execution of high Nazis after the Nuremburg trials?

In my case at least, you're correct.  You've been consistently missing the point that many of us who are opposed to the DP are making.  It is not because we are sympathetic to the tyrants, because I sure as hell am not.  It is because there are far worse ways of punishing somebody that actually last longer, and involve making said tyrants wish they'd never been born, let alone 'sorry'.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2006, 06:36:02 PM »

Saddam won't be a "martyr".  Islamists hate him.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2006, 07:07:42 PM »

How can his execution be the right thing to do if there is even the possibility that it could lead to the death of innocent people?

So I guess you and the others here wouldn't have supported the execution of high Nazis after the Nuremburg trials?

Do you support abortion when the woman has been raped?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2006, 08:02:53 PM »

In my case at least, you're correct.  You've been consistently missing the point that many of us who are opposed to the DP are making.  It is not because we are sympathetic to the tyrants, because I sure as hell am not.  It is because there are far worse ways of punishing somebody that actually last longer, and involve making said tyrants wish they'd never been born, let alone 'sorry'.

Oh no, I know exactly what you're saying. And I completely agree. The main problem though is that your wishes would never actually be carried out because you'd have to many people bitching and whining about "compassion". My solution, though quick, would actually produce a result. If I could be guaranteed a result through your methods I would approve of it.

You also have a fair point there.  Essentially we agree on the fundamentals, and differ on the details. Smiley
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2006, 08:41:54 PM »

Do you support abortion when the woman has been raped?

Relevance?

You often complain when someone attempts to justify abortion for extreme cases.

Yet here you are decrying someone for opposing capital punishment of convicted Nazi leaders.  Yes, States, I would oppose Nuremburg executions because I do not support capital punishment.  It is possible to hold such a position and not spontaneously combust due to severe heathen immorality.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2006, 08:47:33 PM »

Yes, Yes, you're young and ignorant. Next?

Perhaps you can link me to that study showing the correlation between one's age and their views on capital punishment.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2006, 08:53:43 PM »

Perhaps you can link me to that study showing the correlation between one's age and their views on capital punishment.

No need. You've proven over and over again you have no belief in justice. If you believe letting nazi war criminals sit in a prison cell for 20 years is "justice" then your sense of justice is severely flawed, to say the least.
This coming from the wacko who has the support of no one but Inks. Tongue
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2006, 08:56:48 PM »

Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2006, 08:59:52 PM »

States, you're 27.  At what age does a person become worldly-wise, exactly?
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2006, 09:09:04 PM »

Well I don't think it takes much brain power (common sense) to understand that the death penalty is a pretty obvious punishment for a group of thugs who orchestrated the death of 8 million Jews + other ethnic/religious groups.

Unless the people harmed by the genocide were gay or black (or, God forbid, gay and black).
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2006, 09:11:01 PM »

So now you are saying I support violence against those two groups? STFU moron.

You're right.  I forgot that you hate Arabs too.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2006, 09:14:43 PM »

Keep up the good debating!
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2006, 10:14:06 PM »

Saddam Hussein was never a "spokesman" for dispossesed Arabs in the was Arafat was, or Qadaffi was in the 1980s. His potential for martyrdom is overstated.

Besides, I think this is the wrong execution. The one who really should be swinging within 36 hours is Moqtada al-Sadr.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2006, 10:17:51 PM »

He's dead.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #43 on: December 29, 2006, 10:21:10 PM »

And now we wait.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #44 on: December 29, 2006, 10:23:41 PM »

I wonder if they'll have a video of it on youtube or something.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2006, 12:30:03 AM »

I'm glad he is dead.  I have nothing more to say than that.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #46 on: December 30, 2006, 12:39:50 AM »

No it doesn't.  Saddam was murdered because he was insufficiently powerful and defied the empire.  The elite of the empire is responsible for far more barbarism than Saddam and I assure you none will ever be visited in turn upon them.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2006, 04:06:34 AM »

Honestly... I look at this footage on Fox... and I tried to feel sorry for him, I really, didn.  I tired to feel compassion and humanity, but I just can't.  I can't feel sorry for anyone who has done those things.  I know that makes me a bad Christian, but I just can't.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #48 on: December 30, 2006, 04:09:37 AM »

May Jesus have mercy on him.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #49 on: December 30, 2006, 04:30:36 AM »

I was watching MSNBC's "Headliners and Legends" when, at around 4 AM, they interrupted it with the video. They stated their policy on not showing the whole thing and I'm guessing that will be the case with all of the major networks (I went to FOX and CNN and they only showed up to the point where the noose was tightened).

The footage was so eerie. Seeing the guards with the ski masks and Saddam stumbling was very creepy and surreal. I couldn't believe what was happening in that tiny upper room. To think that this man went from complete rule over a country to hanging in some cramped room with guards and a TV crew is so odd. It's going to take time for this to sink in.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies