Day 21: Clinton
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 18, 2024, 07:06:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Day 21: Clinton
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Day 21: Clinton  (Read 1605 times)
memphis
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 28, 2006, 12:50:51 AM »

This should be highly entertaining. I think it wrong that she tried to turn the position of first lady into one of policy-making. I think it was wrong of her to move to New York because it was one of the only states that would elect her. Nonetheless, she has not had a bad record in the Senate.
Everett
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2006, 12:53:46 AM »

Her war on video games wasn't particularly admirable.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2006, 12:58:02 AM »

But it really is a win-win position. Most people who feel strongly about that issue probably even aren't old enough to vote, while it catches the eyes of naive parents. It's a similar issue to youth curfews.

Anyways, in general, she really hasn't been a bad senator at all. But President of the United States? Nah.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2006, 01:51:55 AM »

quiet now, you might get Red agreeing with you...  Wink
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2006, 02:00:23 AM »

I don't understand why dazzleman or right wingers hate her so much.  She's hardly leftist, she's an awful warmongering prudish piece of human garbage.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2006, 02:02:41 AM »

I don't like her because she doesn't stand for anything.  Every vote she has cast in the senate has been in an attempt to appear a certain way in preparation for 2008.  I wish she had entered the senate without presidential ambitions; she would have been more genuine, assembled a better voting record and probably have been adored by the base.  But intstead, we get phony "centrist" bullsh**t.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2006, 02:05:11 AM »

I don't understand why dazzleman or right wingers hate her so much.  She's hardly leftist, she's an awful warmongering prudish piece of human garbage.

It's because of her last name/personality issues from the 1990s. If her name was "Hillary Smith" and she hadn't been married to the 42nd President of the United States, they'd be praising her as "one of the few sane Democrats in the senate" or something along the lines of that bullsh**t.

That being said, I concur with Tweed. She just doesn't seem genuine.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2006, 02:40:17 AM »

I don't like her because she doesn't stand for anything.

Probably why she hates Feingold.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2006, 02:41:24 AM »

If her name was "Hillary Smith" and she hadn't been married to the 42nd President of the United States, they'd be praising her as "one of the few sane Democrats in the senate" or something along the lines of that bullsh**t.

On the contrary, they'd never have heard of her.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2006, 03:24:09 AM »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2006, 03:50:01 AM »

Downwinder

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -6.43

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2006, 05:43:02 AM »

I agree with BRTD--I don't understand the extreme loathing by conservatives for her.  It seems like overkill.

My opinion of her is that she's a decent senator, though a dubious one.  If her heart was in the senate, she'd have been a good to great senator.  I think she's a panderer and is only in politics, and the senate, to get to the presidency--just like McCain.  Those two are my nightmare selection for 2008.
Soaring Eagle

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2006, 09:25:13 AM »

I don't like her because she doesn't stand for anything.  Every vote she has cast in the senate has been in an attempt to appear a certain way in preparation for 2008.  I wish she had entered the senate without presidential ambitions; she would have been more genuine, assembled a better voting record and probably have been adored by the base.  But intstead, we get phony "centrist" bullsh**t.

And she probably wouldn't have ran in New York, either.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2006, 09:47:28 AM »

UGH
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2006, 10:40:06 AM »

I concur.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2006, 12:22:08 PM »

Whatever to everyone.   I like her.  There's a pretty good chance that I'll vote for her in '08 primaries.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2006, 04:22:04 PM »

Rumor has it she is even more competent than Blanco!
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2006, 07:39:09 PM »

I don't understand the extreme loathing by conservatives for her.  It seems like overkill.

While there are legitinate reasons for conservatives to dislike her (or any other Democratic Senator), the reason of course that conservatives hate her so much is that she is a strong powerful liberal woman, and that is more repulsive to conservatives than a strong powerful liberal man.

That said, I might not vote for her in the primaries because she appears to be unelectable. However, I would emphatically support her in the General.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2006, 10:25:18 PM »

I don't like her.  Like a couple other people said, she only wants to get elected president, so everything she has done in the Senate has been to push her further toward that.  Translation: She doesn't care about the eventual result of the votes she casts, only whether or not it will advance her career.  And then if she gets elected, what then?  Nobody knows what she'll do or what she stands for because all of her positions point you in opposite directions.  For example, is she for or against the war in Iraq?  You could put up a convincing argument for her either way.

On the other hand, any Republican who wishes for her to get the nomination because "she can't win" is mistaken.  She could very well be our next president, which is why the Republicans need to learn from the Democrats' mistake in 2004 in nominating someone who cannot win...which is really anyone but Giuliani or McCain.  Only I'm not so sure the Republicans are that smart...

But anyway..
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2006, 10:48:00 PM »

She's trash.

I like her.  There's a pretty good chance that I'll vote for her in '08 primaries.

... and you'll be so glad you did when Moore goes down in flames after the GOP ties him to her!
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2006, 11:24:33 PM »

She's trash.

I like her.  There's a pretty good chance that I'll vote for her in '08 primaries.

... and you'll be so glad you did when Moore goes down in flames after the GOP ties him to her!
I'm definitely afraid of that, but I think tying him to Obama would be even worse for him.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2006, 01:47:44 AM »

I don't understand the extreme loathing by conservatives for her.  It seems like overkill.

While there are legitinate reasons for conservatives to dislike her (or any other Democratic Senator), the reason of course that conservatives hate her so much is that she is a strong powerful liberal woman, and that is more repulsive to conservatives than a strong powerful liberal man.

That said, I might not vote for her in the primaries because she appears to be unelectable. However, I would emphatically support her in the General.

Generally agree.  I disagree that she is unelectable, I thin she is very underrated when it comes down to her electability.  She wouldn't be my first choice in a Primary, and while I disagree with her on certain issues, I think the hate some people (on both sides) have toward her is a bit over the top.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2006, 02:25:02 AM »

I have disagreed with her on Iraq, but think she behaved very well right after 9-11.

On social issues, she's right where I am.  Economically, I might be a shade to the left of her. 

I think she belongs (and should stay) in the Senate.  If she wins the Presidency -- and I never count a Clinton out! -- she will be hamstrung by perpetual investigations and hate campaigns.  Ken Starr will be resurrected.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2006, 03:06:59 AM »

She's trash.

I'm definitely afraid of that, but I think tying him to Obama would be even worse for him.

So? There are other people. What about Edwards. Can you give me one reason why Hillary is a great candidate and the best we can do?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies