Vice President Giuliani
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 01:55:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  Vice President Giuliani
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Vice President Giuliani  (Read 11132 times)
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2004, 11:52:19 PM »

Too late, Dems will filibuster ANY supreme court nominee nominated before the next President is sworn in.

That's the idea, that's exactly what we want them to do.  Let them filibuster the first Hispanic nominee to the SCOTUS.
Dave from Michigan
9iron768
United States

« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2004, 11:55:06 PM »

True if they filbuster in election year it could make them look bad like obstructionists.
agcatter
agcat
YaBB God

« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2004, 11:57:00 PM »

You're assuming the electorate cares.  I've yet to see ANY fallout on their blocking Estrada or any other conservative to the Circuit Court of Appeals.  

Kerry nominates replacements for Renquiest, Stevens, and O'Connor at a minimum!  Hello gay marriage.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2004, 12:02:52 AM »

You're assuming the electorate cares.  I've yet to see ANY fallout on their blocking Estrada or any other conservative to the Circuit Court of Appeals.  

NH and Wisc aren't going to care.  But the SCOTUS is 100 times higher profile than the Appeals Ciruit.  And AZ, NM, and FL are going to care.  And the Dem Senators up for reelection in states with Hispanics are going to be in very hot water.

Estrada locks up AZ, NM and FL for Bush.

agcatter
agcat
YaBB God

« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2004, 12:15:34 AM »

Well, I won't deny that it would be higher profile.  It would help in New Mexico no doubt.  However, if Bush can't beat John Kerry in Arizona and Florida without any help he isn't going to be elected anyway.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2004, 12:25:37 AM »
« Edited: January 28, 2004, 12:26:15 AM by jmfcst »

Well, I won't deny that it would be higher profile.  It would help in New Mexico no doubt.  However, if Bush can't beat John Kerry in Arizona and Florida without any help he isn't going to be elected anyway.

It's not the idea that Bush needs help in AZ and FL.  It's the idea that he won't have to spend money and time in AZ, FL or NM.  And it would help the GOP in the Senate (more judical confirmations) and could help ensure 50% of the Hispanic vote for a couple of election cycles.

And nominations cost ZERO dollars.
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2004, 01:02:02 AM »

I too would prefer Bush/Rice.

However, people don't vote for a president based on who is the vp on the ticket regardless of party.  They just don't.  That's like the fantasy some have that Kerry would carry a few Southern states because Edwards was on the ticket.  "Hey I'm going to vote for a northern liberal for President because he's got a southernor running with him for VP"  Yeah, right.  It doesn't happen that way.

I am NOT voting for Bush if Giuliani is on the ticket.  Period.

As will many other conservatives, most likely -- the White House will stick to somebody either moderate or conservative. Can't throw out any names just yet.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2004, 04:19:16 AM »

Bush could win if Florida and Arizona are tossups. He did in 2000... Smiley

JMF proves my point perfectly, Guliani wont be on the ticket, b/c he ain't conservative enough (I would say that he's way too sensible,but I'm gonna be nice...) Smiley
NHPolitico

« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2004, 07:08:03 AM »

i would like Bush/Rice better though.

NHPolitico

« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2004, 07:10:38 AM »

Isn't Colin Powell leaving the administration after '04? Giuliani could be his replacement as the neocons' alibi cabinet member (basically their way of saying "Hey! Look! We got a moderate in here! We're not all ultra-conservative nutcases!").

No, Condi has SOS in 2005.  Giuliani would be better at FBI.
NHPolitico

« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2004, 07:12:44 AM »

I don't know what to make of these reports about Cheney's health, but Bush/Giuliani is a LOSER of a ticket.

Adding Rudy would lower Bush's margins, maybe, in the South, but he'd pick up popular votes elsewhere to probably offset it. I'd say it would be a reasonable tradeoff.
NHPolitico

« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2004, 07:14:39 AM »

I too would prefer Bush/Rice.

However, people don't vote for a president based on who is the vp on the ticket regardless of party.  They just don't.  That's like the fantasy some have that Kerry would carry a few Southern states because Edwards was on the ticket.  "Hey I'm going to vote for a northern liberal for President because he's got a southernor running with him for VP"  Yeah, right.  It doesn't happen that way.

It helps on the margins. I also think that a superstar like LBJ could move votes significantly in his state. That may just be by making the top of the ticket look safer to vote for.
NHPolitico

« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2004, 07:16:20 AM »

Isn't Rice pro abortion if she is it might not work

She is reluctantly so, and apparently supports Bush's Mexico City policy.  I'd bet she's like Mary Bono-- about 75% rating from National Right to Life.
NHPolitico

« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2004, 07:22:48 AM »

VPs don't appoint Supreme Court justices.  A President Kerry could.  Surely you're joking.

Seriously.  Giuliani maybe a little liberal, but he's only a VP choice.  I don't see anything wrong with having a right-wing moderate and a left-wing moderate on the same ticket. Wink

I get your joke, but you're right that Rudy isn't some Pelosi liberal. He's very much a moderate Republican. He's very comfortable defending Bush.
jravnsbo

« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2004, 10:35:31 AM »

rudy along with McCaina dn Pataki have been in NH all week campaigning for Bush.
jravnsbo

« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2004, 10:39:45 AM »

Guliani would play well in the NY convention and they say he is the most popular politician outside of Bushin the country, give him a leg up for 2008.  Plus it could be seen as reaching out to the center, while Bush can push other measures for the base.
TheOldLine
Rookie

« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2004, 02:01:08 PM »

Bush publicly stated last year that he is sticking by Cheney.  

Unless Cheney dies, he'll be on the ticket.   Bush is nothing if not loyal.

TheOldLine
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2004, 03:03:26 PM »

TheOldLine

"As you all know, I dearly wished to keep Richard Cheney as my VP. However, I am saddened to have to inform you, that due to personal reasons, he has been forced to step down, after consulting with his family and his doctor." And so on...it's so easy to get out of these things, I've seen it thousands of times in Sweden, and I don't think demands on honesty are higher in the US.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2004, 12:49:28 PM »

TheOldLine

Cheney will step down himself.  He is sick, can't you see that?  Look at him lately.  He looks tired and worn-out constantly.  I think there is a 75% chance that he will step down for the good of the ticket and the good of the country.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2004, 01:13:38 PM »

I think Cheney looks great - anyway as good as he did in 2000.  Plus I like him a lot.  I don't see any reason to dump him, especially for a non-conservative like Guliani.  Guliani is useful to win a Senate seat from NY, unseating Clinton if she's foolish enough to run again.  Sticking him with VP or some cabinet office would be a waste.  The place for liberal Republicans is in the Northeast, not on the national ticket.
NHPolitico

« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2004, 03:26:29 PM »

TheOldLine

"As you all know, I dearly wished to keep Richard Cheney as my VP. However, I am saddened to have to inform you, that due to personal reasons, he has been forced to step down, after consulting with his family and his doctor." And so on...it's so easy to get out of these things, I've seen it thousands of times in Sweden, and I don't think demands on honesty are higher in the US.

Exactly. All of us here could write the speech in 10 minutes.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2004, 03:51:24 PM »

TheOldLine

Yeah, I didn't mean to suggest that I was the only one... Wink
NHPolitico

« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2004, 08:58:39 PM »

TheOldLine

Yeah, I didn't mean to suggest that I was the only one... Wink

Yes. I wasn't meaning to be snide.  I was fully agreeing you with.  
swampdude

« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2004, 10:53:20 PM »

Dick Cheney is a pragmatist and his ego is not wrapped up in being the VP.   I think we can all agree he keeps a very low profile and stepping down would not automatically mean that he would be out of the loop.  He could continue as trusted advisor in just about any capacity within the administration.  I personally would love to see a Bush-Rice ticket.  Besides Condi being a brilliant cabinet member, it would be fun to see the  Dems have to attack a black woman on the Republican ticket!!  That would be entertaining!
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #49 on: February 01, 2004, 12:39:42 PM »

Besides Condi being a brilliant cabinet member, it would be fun to see the  Dems have to attack a black woman on the Republican ticket!!  That would be entertaining!

Yes, it certainly would!  I think putting Guliani on the ticket would be a good thing, certainly it would help pick up some states in the northeast.  But I think Giuliani would be better served to run against Clinton and get her out of the Senate.  It disgusts me that she is my Senator.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies