Vice President Giuliani
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 01:14:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  Vice President Giuliani
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Vice President Giuliani  (Read 11131 times)
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 27, 2004, 06:47:07 PM »

(**I haven't been online much and haven't had time to really check this article out.  But, coming from MSNBC, I'd think it's a fairly well place source.  What do you all think?  Personally, I think this news (if true) is awesome!!**)

from http://www.msnbc.msn.com/Default.aspx?id=4065772&p1=0

"Will there be a Bush/Giuliani ticket in '04?

A well-placed source says that the president will “most likely” drop Dick Cheney from his re-election ticket and his first choice for a replacement is former New York City mayor Rudy Giuliani.

“The issue of Cheney’s health will probably be given as the reason,” says the insider. “There’s a short list of possible replacements, and Rudy is at the top of the list.”

The source adds that the selection of the former New York mayor may be overridden by Bush advisors from the far right. “Giuliani has been pro-choice, pro-gay rights, and is pretty liberal on some other social issues, but the thinking is that he might broaden Bush’s appeal.”

If, however, Giuliani gets bumped from the ticket, says the source, “expect him to get a prime assignment in Washington as an consolation prize.”

Bush’s rep didn’t return calls, and a spokeswoman for Giuliani said, “Rudy Giuliani has been out in Iowa and New Hampshire talking about the incredible accomplishments of Vice President Dick Cheney with George Bush and working very hard to get them both re-elected.”

--end article
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2004, 06:51:07 PM »
« Edited: January 27, 2004, 06:51:25 PM by YoungRepub »

Hmmm quite interesting. I haven't heard anything else besides that article. I hope we hear more about this.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2004, 06:51:58 PM »

Wow.  that'd be rough on Cheyney, though.  An incumbent VP hasn't been dropped from the ticket in a while.  (Nelson Rockefeller I think, and before then Henry Wallace?)
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2004, 06:53:13 PM »

IF Guliani gets on the ticket, and it works, the Dems are toast. The election would be over. But b/c of this, it wont happen. Giuliani is no crazed conservative, so it wouldn't work out, the base would revolt.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2004, 06:55:25 PM »

miamiu's website is the smae exact thing as this one
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2004, 06:56:47 PM »

Why are you posting comments on THAT HERE?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2004, 06:57:12 PM »
« Edited: January 27, 2004, 06:58:49 PM by Harry »

IF Guliani gets on the ticket, and it works, the Dems are toast. The election would be over. But b/c of this, it wont happen. Giuliani is no crazed conservative, so it wouldn't work out, the base would revolt.

It's not over.  There is still time to strategize around this.  Really, Guliani is not going to bring that big of an advantage to Bush.  I may help him out in some swing states though.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2004, 06:58:23 PM »

No it's not.
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2004, 07:00:49 PM »

That's the first I've heard of this. Would Bush really drop Cheney though? It would appear somewhat uncharacteristic of him.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2004, 07:03:14 PM »
« Edited: January 27, 2004, 07:16:36 PM by Harry »

That's the first I've heard of this. Would Bush really drop Cheney though? It would appear somewhat uncharacteristic of him.
He already knifed Trent Lott in the back. (not that I like him BTW, but he is a mississippian Smiley )
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2004, 07:05:44 PM »

It's not over.  There is still time to strategize around this.  Really, Guliani is not going to bring that big of an advantage to Bush.  I may help him out in some swing states though.

I could vote for Guliani. He would never make it to the ticket. What would teh Christian right say? And he must be Italian-born, with that name. I don't see it happening, not in this election, anyway.
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2004, 07:12:16 PM »

I could vote for Guliani. He would never make it to the ticket. What would teh Christian right say? And he must be Italian-born, with that name. I don't see it happening, not in this election, anyway.

Isn't Colin Powell leaving the administration after '04? Giuliani could be his replacement as the neocons' alibi cabinet member (basically their way of saying "Hey! Look! We got a moderate in here! We're not all ultra-conservative nutcases!").
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2004, 07:20:59 PM »

I would vote for Giuliani in 2008 but Bush making his his VP doesn't swing my vote to GWB.
NHPolitico

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2004, 07:24:00 PM »

Jeannette Walls??? Heh, you had me at first, man.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2004, 07:27:18 PM »

giulani would be such a pick up over dick... i posted it here becuase i want going to start a thread for it
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2004, 11:16:50 PM »

Wow.  that'd be rough on Cheyney, though.  An incumbent VP hasn't been dropped from the ticket in a while.  (Nelson Rockefeller I think, and before then Henry Wallace?)

Cheney's health acctually IS bad, though, I think.  Did you guys see him at the state of the union?  He looked tired.  I would love Bush/Giuliani.  i would like Bush/Rice better though.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2004, 11:24:19 PM »

Cheney's health acctually IS bad, though, I think.  Did you guys see him at the state of the union?  He looked tired.  I would love Bush/Giuliani.  i would like Bush/Rice better though.

I don't know what to make of these reports about Cheney's health, but Bush/Giuliani is a LOSER of a ticket.  But I really like the idea of a Bush/Rice ticket.
agcatter
agcat
YaBB God

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2004, 11:26:03 PM »

I too would prefer Bush/Rice.

However, people don't vote for a president based on who is the vp on the ticket regardless of party.  They just don't.  That's like the fantasy some have that Kerry would carry a few Southern states because Edwards was on the ticket.  "Hey I'm going to vote for a northern liberal for President because he's got a southernor running with him for VP"  Yeah, right.  It doesn't happen that way.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2004, 11:30:42 PM »

I too would prefer Bush/Rice.

However, people don't vote for a president based on who is the vp on the ticket regardless of party.  They just don't.  That's like the fantasy some have that Kerry would carry a few Southern states because Edwards was on the ticket.  "Hey I'm going to vote for a northern liberal for President because he's got a southernor running with him for VP"  Yeah, right.  It doesn't happen that way.

I am NOT voting for Bush if Giuliani is on the ticket.  Period.
agcatter
agcat
YaBB God

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2004, 11:33:53 PM »

VPs don't appoint Supreme Court justices.  A President Kerry could.  Surely you're joking.
Dave from Michigan
9iron768
United States

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2004, 11:40:00 PM »

I don't like the idea of Bush-Rice ticket

Isn't Rice pro abortion if she is it might not work
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2004, 11:40:08 PM »

VPs don't appoint Supreme Court justices.  A President Kerry could.  Surely you're joking.

Not at all!  As far as the SCOTUS goes, if Bush has any sense, Rehnquist will retire this spring and Estrada will be nominated.  That's the way to win Hispanics while pleasing your base, not proposing some sweeping immigration plan.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2004, 11:42:09 PM »

Seriously.  Giuliani maybe a little liberal, but he's only a VP choice.  I don't see anything wrong with having a right-wing moderate and a left-wing moderate on the same ticket. Wink
agcatter
agcat
YaBB God

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2004, 11:45:07 PM »

Too late, Dems will filibuster ANY supreme court nominee nominated before the next President is sworn in.

A President Kerry will have the opportunity to nominate AT Least 3 Supreme Court Justices.  Imagine that Court.  You just THINK we have problems on social issues with our present Supreme Court.  Scares the hell out of me.
Dave from Michigan
9iron768
United States

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2004, 11:50:14 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

you can say that again

one reason Bush needs to win.
Didn't they say this in 2000 that 3 supreme court judges will retire.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies