Opinion of these Abrahamic religions (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 06:52:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Opinion of these Abrahamic religions (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Opinion of these Abrahamic religions
Christianity (Approve)

Christianity (Neutral)

Christianity (Disapprove)

Judaism (Approve)

Judaism (Neutral)

Judaism (Disapprove)

Islam (Approve)

Islam (Neutral)

Islam (Disapprove)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 76

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Opinion of these Abrahamic religions  (Read 3561 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« on: June 27, 2022, 02:13:17 AM »

Not my bag. But I generally preference both Islam and Judaism over Christianity. Perhaps familiarity breeds contempt.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2022, 07:28:31 AM »

Strongly approve of Christianity, strongly disapprove of Islam and Judaism.

Jesus Christ is the way, the truth, and the life.  Any religious system which denies his deity and/or his status as the Messiah is false and puts people at risk of eternal damnation.

Doesn't Christianity put people at risk of eternal damnation because it doesn't have an agreed, cross denominational set of criteria on how one can escape it?
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2022, 07:38:17 AM »

Jesus Christ is the way, the truth, and the life.  Any religious system which denies his deity and/or his status as the Messiah is false and puts people at risk of eternal damnation.

Doesn't Christianity put people at risk of eternal damnation because it doesn't have an agreed, cross denominational set of criteria on how one can escape it?

If someone held to a very strict doctrine of no possibility of salvation outside their denomination/ecclesial group then I suppose you could apply that logic to all branches of Christianity outside that particular group.  I don’t hold that view however, and think that God’s favor extends significantly across numerous expressions of Christianity, as evidenced by the sheer fact of the multitude of miracles seen by newly evangelized people, despite this evangelization being done by Christians with markedly different theology.  I don’t deny the importance of doctrinal differences, but I do maintain there is a clear difference between affirming the Trinity, deity of Christ, Jesus as Messiah, etc. and denying these core truths, and this likely  makes an eternity of difference for many people.

So it's a 'thought'. So surely that would extend to less orthodox/more liberal/universalist theology too?

If on say 'deeds' not 'belief', because god extends favour to those salvationists, then surely god's favour would extend outside of the limitations of strict Christian theology and doctrine?

afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2022, 03:47:39 AM »

If someone held to a very strict doctrine of no possibility of salvation outside their denomination/ecclesial group then I suppose you could apply that logic to all branches of Christianity outside that particular group.  I don’t hold that view however, and think that God’s favor extends significantly across numerous expressions of Christianity, as evidenced by the sheer fact of the multitude of miracles seen by newly evangelized people, despite this evangelization being done by Christians with markedly different theology.  I don’t deny the importance of doctrinal differences, but I do maintain there is a clear difference between affirming the Trinity, deity of Christ, Jesus as Messiah, etc. and denying these core truths, and this likely  makes an eternity of difference for many people.

So it's a 'thought'. So surely that would extend to less orthodox/more liberal/universalist theology too?

If on say 'deeds' not 'belief', because god extends favour to those salvationists, then surely god's favour would extend outside of the limitations of strict Christian theology and doctrine?

We don't see the same evidence of great miraculous activity in the missionary activities of non Christian religions, hence why I think the eternal outlook for those in such religions is likely much more grim.  The Bible makes clear the necessity of faith in Christ many times, as we see in verses like John 3:18 and 1 John 2:23.  This isn't to say anyone who calls themselves a Christian is guaranteed salvation, but it is clearly a much better place to be than rejecting Jesus's claims about himself.

Yes, you do.

You absolutely do see the same 'evidence' in so far as the same outcomes are attributed to prayer and offerings as in the Christian faith, by those who adhere to other faiths.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2022, 03:25:40 PM »

Yes, you do.

You absolutely do see the same 'evidence' in so far as the same outcomes are attributed to prayer and offerings as in the Christian faith, by those who adhere to other faiths.

I would suggest reading Craig Keener's work Miracles, many of which specifically focus on missionary activity to areas with little Christian presence, and showing comparable miracles specifically done in connection with the missionary work of other faiths in areas where that faith is not very present.  

The fact that we such an intense concentration of miracles in association with Christian mission is a clear mark of divine favor.

Craig Keener is a Christian theologian and apologist.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2022, 03:43:45 PM »

Yes, you do.

I would suggest reading Craig Keener's work Miracles, many of which specifically focus on missionary activity to areas with little Christian presence, and showing comparable miracles specifically done in connection with the missionary work of other faiths in areas where that faith is not very present.  

The fact that we such an intense concentration of miracles in association with Christian mission is a clear mark of divine favor.

Craig Keener is a Christian theologian and apologist.

Which gave him the motivation to find these miracle testimonies. Citing it to dismiss him out of hand is analogous to a juror dismissing a prosecutor's arguments for the guilt of a defendant because the prosecutor is acting out of a professional obligation to try and convict the defendant, yet nobody tries to defend that course of action.

It's absolutely not an 'out of hand' criticism.

https://www.skeptic.org.uk/2022/07/miracles-today-a-medical-critique-of-craig-keeners-miracle-claims/
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies