Sen. Tim Johnson (D-SD) may have suffered a stroke...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 12:52:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Sen. Tim Johnson (D-SD) may have suffered a stroke...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Sen. Tim Johnson (D-SD) may have suffered a stroke...  (Read 4256 times)
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2006, 06:41:04 PM »

I can't help but feel that the fact it was the top story of NBC's Nightly News and they were discussing political ramifications of his resignation or death (another networks too) something is really wrong.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2006, 06:47:14 PM »

Ok get ready for a very Nasoesque situation...

I'm in the bathroom and the idea of a Senate vacancy comes to mind (remember, I am odd). So for some reason I think of Claire McCaskill's seat being vacant (maybe because that seat is cursed). I think to myself that Republican Governor Blunt will make the appointment. Ok so that was the end of my thought.

I walk out and my dad calls me into the other room. He says something about Tim Johnson being rushed to the hospital, I turn to the TV and there it is. Very, very weird.

I pray that the Senator gets better. I will also keep his family in my prayers.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2006, 06:49:27 PM »

I'm in the bathroom and the idea of a Senate vacancy comes to mind (remember, I am odd). So for some reason I think of Claire McCaskill's seat being vacant (maybe because that seat is cursed). I think to myself that Republican Governor Blunt will make the appointment. Ok so that was the end of my thought.

I walk out and my dad calls me into the other room. He says something about Tim Johnson being rushed to the hospital, I turn to the TV and there it is. Very, very weird.

Next thing you'll do is post pictures of you and your sister being very West Virginian...
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2006, 06:50:11 PM »

I can't help but feel that the fact it was the top story of NBC's Nightly News and they were discussing political ramifications of his resignation or death (another networks too) something is really wrong.

Has the hospital or Johnson's family made any statements?

Because if not, there's no reason to believe that the news agencies know anything more than we do and that this isn't just the usual hype and overblownness that the news agencies are famous for.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2006, 06:51:34 PM »

Of course something is "really wrong"; the poor man has just had a stroke for Christ's sake...

Stop acting like a Goddamned vulture.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2006, 06:52:52 PM »

stay alive
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2006, 06:54:28 PM »

Discussing the politics of this situation is wrong but I am not going to lie and say that I haven't thought about it. In all honesty, though, don't anyone think that a Republican would be appointed anyway. If this situation takes a turn for the worst and there must be an appointment, I bet Rounds will be under a lot of pressure (from South Dakotans and others) to appoint a Dem. Now he could ignore it since he can't run for a third term but I wouldn't be surprised if he went with a Dem.

Politically, this is a real bad situation for Rounds (not that anyone should be weeping over that considering what is going on with the current Senator's health). If he appoints himself, there could be major backlash. If he appoints a Dem and wants to run in 2008, he looks foolish for running against his appointed Senator (kind of like then Governor Casey not endorsing Wofford in 1994). Then again, he could just appoint some Republican who will step aside for him in 2008 but anger over appointing a Republican may still exist. However, let's remember that the political aspect of this is not what is important now.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2006, 06:59:49 PM »

Look... unless we hear otherwise, it's best not to treat this as if Johnson is near death, incapacitated or anything like that.

It's just... wrong... really.

i would like sam spades post deleted as i did my part, and ill explain to you the _Real_ story in private.

I deleted my post on the subject that I think you are referring to.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2006, 07:13:09 PM »

Of course something is "really wrong"; the poor man has just had a stroke for Christ's sake...

Stop acting like a Goddamned vulture.

Somewhere in America today, a mother and a father buried an only son that was cut down in his youth…yet the rest of the world didn’t pause. 

Somewhere in America today, a daughter died of parental abuse, but the rest of the world simply turned the channel.

I have never been to a funeral where the rest of world didn't keep carrying on with life.  And I have been on my way to hospitals only to look outside the car window to see life's onward march.  And I missed the passage of scripture that requires a political correct stoppage of time.

Since most of us on this forum are far removed from Senator Johnson, all we can do is offer a prayer and move on with life.

If Senator Johnson can’t continue in office, someone will be appointed in due time to take his place.  Life will continue.  All of us are expendable.
Raoul Takemoto
Rookie

« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2006, 08:05:24 PM »

AP is now reporting that Johnson's spokesperson says the senator DID NOT suffer a heart attack or stroke...

WASHINGTON (AP) - Democratic Sen. Tim Johnson of South Dakota was hospitalized Wednesday, weeks before his party was to take control of the Senate by a one-vote margin.

Johnson, who turns 60 on Dec. 28, was admitted to George Washington University Hospital with an undiagnosed illness, said a spokeswoman, Julianne Fisher.

She said, however, the senator did not suffer a stroke or heart attack. His office had said earlier it was a possible stroke.

Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2006, 08:35:37 PM »

I disagree.  When something like this happens, the media has to speculate to keep interest.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2006, 08:43:57 PM »

I disagree.  When something like this happens, the media has to speculate to keep interest.

jmfcst is right-- Somehow I dont think Johnson cares all that much right now if the media is speculating about this or that or not. When you have a brush with medical emergency, one surprising thing can be how casually the world goes about its business, as if nothing was happening. In Johnson's case, it's a little different-- he is simply reminded of how much his worth to the 'public' society as a human being is tied up through his position as a Senator.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2006, 08:55:53 PM »

jmfcst is right-- Somehow I dont think Johnson cares all that much right now if the media is speculating about this or that or not. When you have a brush with medical emergency, one surprising thing can be how casually the world goes about its business, as if nothing was happening. In Johnson's case, it's a little different-- he is simply reminded of how much his worth to the 'public' society as a human being is tied up through his position as a Senator.

I don't think my comment really was talking about how Johnson feels, I was going under if they had good news they'd tell us theory
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2006, 08:56:28 PM »

Right-wingers are licking their chops right now.  The only way they can pick up any Democratic seat in the country right now is through death or resignation.

I think Johnson will be fine.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2006, 09:01:04 PM »

Right-wingers are licking their chops right now.  The only way they can pick up any Democratic seat in the country right now is through death or resignation.

I think Johnson will be fine.

Now come on--all of us here have been very positive.  And me and DWTL are about as right wing as you get.

I just noticed that he changed back to a Republican too. (DWTL)
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2006, 09:01:28 PM »

I wish the Senator well

Dave
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2006, 09:02:56 PM »

Now come on--all of us here have been very positive. 

True, but you should hear them on the right-wing talk shows and blogs.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2006, 09:07:00 PM »

Well considering there are no seats up for grabs until 2008...this would be the only way they could pick up seats until then.

Uh...yeah.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2006, 09:16:51 PM »

I think that means Phil was masturbating to the thought of a Republican Senate. Very Nasoesque indeed.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2006, 09:31:22 PM »

A spokeman for Johnson has now denied that he had a stroke, sounds like a minor fainting spell from the description if anything:

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/n/a/2006/12/13/national/w162040S94.DTL

Good news if true though, in which case Johnson should be fine.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2006, 09:34:21 PM »

The John Gibson show on Sirius tonight, every caller was salivating about the Republicans controlling the Senate again.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #46 on: December 13, 2006, 09:38:37 PM »

Actually I read that according to South Dakota law, the Governor appoints a replacement, but only a temporary one, a special election does need to be called later. In which case Daschle or Herseth would most likely be the favorite (especially with the sympathy vote).

But the good news is it sounds as if he's fine, and this won't be needed.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #47 on: December 13, 2006, 09:42:56 PM »

Discussing the politics of this situation is wrong but I am not going to lie and say that I haven't thought about it. In all honesty, though, don't anyone think that a Republican would be appointed anyway. If this situation takes a turn for the worst and there must be an appointment, I bet Rounds will be under a lot of pressure (from South Dakotans and others) to appoint a Dem. Now he could ignore it since he can't run for a third term but I wouldn't be surprised if he went with a Dem.

I'm not sure if the pressure from South Dakotans would be enough for Rounds to appoint a Dem. Probably the majority of South Dakotans would prefer a Republican Senate anyway. On the other hand, a majority of South Dakotans voted for Stephanie Herseth, so I guess if Rounds were to appoint Herseth, a lot of people would be satisfied.

Of course, we should all hope that Sen. Johnson gets better and that the political ramifications would be irrelevant.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #48 on: December 13, 2006, 10:14:13 PM »

Actually I read that according to South Dakota law, the Governor appoints a replacement, but only a temporary one, a special election does need to be called later. In which case Daschle or Herseth would most likely be the favorite (especially with the sympathy vote).

But the good news is it sounds as if he's fine, and this won't be needed.

You are correct--but for establishing stuff like committes, it would matter.  Luckily it looks as if he's gonna be ok.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #49 on: December 13, 2006, 10:26:44 PM »

I'm not sure if the pressure from South Dakotans would be enough for Rounds to appoint a Dem. Probably the majority of South Dakotans would prefer a Republican Senate anyway. On the other hand, a majority of South Dakotans voted for Stephanie Herseth, so I guess if Rounds were to appoint Herseth, a lot of people would be satisfied.

Of course, we should all hope that Sen. Johnson gets better and that the political ramifications would be irrelevant.

They'd be angry and would probably want Herseth appointed. Again, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Rounds went with a Dem for the seat. I don't think it matters though. Johnson will be fine.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies