But in this time of great defeat, we must remember, that our loss on Nov 7th
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 08:13:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  But in this time of great defeat, we must remember, that our loss on Nov 7th
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: But in this time of great defeat, we must remember, that our loss on Nov 7th  (Read 2185 times)
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 13, 2006, 02:01:05 PM »
« edited: December 13, 2006, 02:03:14 PM by nickshepDEM »

But in this time of great defeat, we must remember, that our loss on Nov 7th 2006 was not a loss for conservatism, but a loss for big government Republicanism. Going forward, we must stay true to our values, as Reagan did. Remembering that, "Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem."

And through the ashes and debris of defeatism and liberalism, the conservative movement will march forward, carrying the torch for personal responsibility, freedom and Democracy, and smaller, less intrusive Government. If we stay true to these core beliefs, we will rise... we will rise victorious once again.

Thank you and Godspeed.
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2006, 02:10:21 PM »

Eh um...didn't you used to be a Democrat?  There has been a lot of party-switching around here recently...
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2006, 02:21:59 PM »

I sense that you're trying to make a point here, Nick, but I'm stumped as to what it is. Undecided

Edit: and now you've switched back to a red avatar.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2006, 02:49:40 PM »

I sense that you're trying to make a point here, Nick, but I'm stumped as to what it is. Undecided

I don't get it either, but then again I don't get much of what kids do nowadays.
Mike in Maryland
Rookie

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2006, 02:52:22 PM »

I think Nick was trying to make a sarcastic jab at those Republicans who think their party did poorly because they weren't far enough to the right.

While there is plenty to be said critical of the big-spending GOP governance of the last few years, proposing to wipe out popular government programs does not seem like a winning platform with the general public, especially if they insist on going on dubiously needed military ventures abroad and cutting taxes for the rich further.

And while there's much to be admired about Ronald Reagan, simply trying to repeat the 1980 campaign and platform won't work in 2008.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2006, 02:54:17 PM »

Who provided that quote?
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2006, 04:00:22 PM »

I wrote it myself.  I was just trying to have a little fun with the talking heads who say the loss on Nov 7th wasnt a loss for conservatism.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2006, 04:00:53 PM »
« Edited: December 13, 2006, 04:02:25 PM by nickshepDEM »

I don't get it either, but then again I don't get much of what kids do nowadays.

Hey now, I aint no kid.  Tongue
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2006, 04:09:10 PM »

Hey now, I aint no kid.  Tongue

You're a kid to me.  Tongue
Deano963

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2006, 06:31:06 PM »

I wrote it myself.  I was just trying to have a little fun with the talking heads who say the loss on Nov 7th wasnt a loss for conservatism.

Really? I could have sworn that it was an excerpt from that five-page memo that John Boehner sent out to all House Republicans right before Congress adjourned for the last time. It sounds very, very familiar.

Either way, I thought it was pretty obvious what you were doing - mocking Republicans who blame their losses on their belief that they haven't been conservative enough. I found it good for a laugh.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2006, 07:41:30 PM »

Perhaps they should have ran Fred Phelps Gov of Kansas since they think only staunch conservatives win.

Fred Phelps is a registered Democrat, and has already run for governor of Kansas under that banner.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2006, 07:46:32 PM »
« Edited: December 13, 2006, 09:15:25 PM by Frodo »

Republicans would do well to move more to the center (or at least be perceived as doing so) in the upcoming election, as they can blame their losses this past November on those independents defected.
RBH

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2006, 07:52:47 PM »

Perhaps they should have ran Fred Phelps Gov of Kansas since they think only staunch conservatives win.

Fred Phelps is a registered Democrat, and has already run for governor of Kansas under that banner.

And he was overwhelmingly rejected each time he ran for office as a Democrat.

In fact, Phelps recieved very very poor results in his home county too. Wonder why..

Last time he ran for Governor of Kansas, he recieved 4% (354 votes) in Shawnee County. His opponent recieved 96% (9396 votes).

When he ran for the Senate and got 31% in the primary, he lost 12892/1078 in Shawnee County (92% to 8%).

Basically, the less you know about Fred Phelps, the more likely you are to vote for him.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2006, 08:35:14 PM »
« Edited: December 13, 2006, 08:39:00 PM by nickshepDEM »

Really? I could have sworn that it was an excerpt from that five-page memo that John Boehner sent out to all House Republicans right before Congress adjourned for the last time. It sounds very, very familiar.

Either way, I thought it was pretty obvious what you were doing - mocking Republicans who blame their losses on their belief that they haven't been conservative enough. I found it good for a laugh.

There is no Democratic talk radio here in Baltimore, so I find myself listening to a lot of right-wing talking heads in the car.  Their mantra since the election has been, "The election was not a loss for conservatism...", so today I was bored and threw this little diddy together as a joke.  Unless I was drunk at 2pm today, I'm 100% sure I wrote it.  Tongue
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2006, 08:41:15 PM »
« Edited: December 13, 2006, 08:50:16 PM by nickshepDEM »

This line of thinking goes back to 2005. I heard a lot of conservatives say that Doug Forrester and Jerry Kilgore lost because they were not conservative enough! Grin Cheesy

Correct.  Republicans arent the only ones who do this though.  When the Democrats lost in 2002 and 2004, they swore it was because they failed to properly 'frame the debate'.  Lakoff wrote an entire book about it.
Deano963

« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2006, 08:45:48 PM »

There is no Democratic talk radio here in Baltimore, so I find myself listening to a lot of right-wing talking heads in the car.  Their mantra since the election has been, "The election was not a loss for conservatism...", so today I was bored and threw this little diddy together as a joke.  Unless I was drunk at 2pm today, I'm 100% sure I wrote it.  Tongue

LOL.

Well Nick, you do one hell of a right-wing talking head post-mortem impression. Smiley

I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2006, 10:32:43 PM »

This line of thinking goes back to 2005. I heard a lot of conservatives say that Doug Forrester and Jerry Kilgore lost because they were not conservative enough! Grin Cheesy

These people should be told to give their congratulations to Rep.-elect Randy Graf and Gov.-elect Ken Blackwell.

Oh and also congratulate Rick Santorum on another term.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies