President Hubert Humphrey?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 08:22:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History
  Alternative History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  President Hubert Humphrey?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: President Hubert Humphrey?  (Read 1691 times)
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 12, 2006, 01:58:19 AM »

I'm sure most of you has seen an alternative history timeline where LBJ's Vice President Hubert Humphrey is elected 37th President of the United States in 1968 over Richard Nixon. For you who haven't here's the website:
http://spiritualist.alternatehistory.com/hhh01.html

I think this website's view of a Hubert Humphrey Presidency is outright Bulls**t. Especially the 1972 Presidential Election map against California Governor Ronald Reagan.

1972 Timeline Map:

Humphrey-Muskie 50.73% 271 E.V.
Reagan-Ford 47.51% 267 E.V.

The question I am asking is how the Humphrey Administration would have delt with the issues of the late 1960's and early 1970's. Like the Vietnam War, Relations with the Soviet Union, Equal Rights, ect..

I am interested in your thoughts people. But honestly, how could Humphrey win Montana, North Dakota, and South Dakota?
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2006, 02:08:20 AM »

I think that map is off, but I still think if HHH was popular, not even Reagan could've beaten him.

Judging from what I know of Hubert, he would've been free to withdraw from Vietnam on whatever terms, and would not have escalated the conflict. As a young Senator, he was anti-Communist, and as an elder politician, he was anti-communist. I don't know exactly how he would handle the Soviets, but I suspect he would treat them much like his predecessors and successors did. If anyone doesn't have a clue on HHH's stand of Equal Rights, let me spell it out for ya. He was long a friend of the minority, and was one of the leading Civil Rights proponents in American politics.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2006, 02:23:00 AM »

HHH didn't bow to LBJ's popular front leftism so the dems don't make their 1968-1974 long march to the left. We've likely only had 1 to 2 GOP presidents since  1968, both one termers. The one party new deal coalition america continues.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies