4-District Utah
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:58:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  4-District Utah
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: 4-District Utah  (Read 5572 times)
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 11, 2006, 08:59:42 PM »

The Utah legislature in special session passed the following 4-district redistricting bill, which is contingent on Utah being given a 4th seat, as part of a deal to give a representative to DC.

Maps begin at page 5 of the bill.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2006, 09:36:12 PM »

Matheson is basically safe under this.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2006, 09:47:05 PM »
« Edited: December 11, 2006, 09:49:56 PM by Verily »

Which of the new districts does Matheson live in, 2, 3 or 4? If he lives in 3, which I think has the bulk of his current district, a Democrat (like the Mayor of Salt Lake City, I forget his name) might stand a shot at District 2 as well.

Looks like they did a good job at nonpartisan redistricting (or at least ungerrymandered redistricting), too. Kudos to Utah.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2006, 09:55:42 PM »

He lives in 2. The current map was gerrymandered to get rid of him basically, they split up Salt Lake City and gave his district that huge rural area in an attempt to get rid of him. He should have no problems in that 2nd district.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2006, 12:19:27 AM »

so will they hold 4 special elections later this year if Utah gets a 4th seat, or just 1?
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2006, 12:59:32 AM »

so will they hold 4 special elections later this year if Utah gets a 4th seat, or just 1?

They'd have to hold at least 2. The new 3rd district contains almost none of the old 3rd district, and the new 2nd district consists mostly of areas that weren't in the old 2nd district.

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Well, he can still run in the 3rd district. You just have to live in-state, and those people have been voting for him for a while. It isn't a gerrymander for Utah to break 3-1 Republican, either.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2006, 01:39:28 AM »
« Edited: December 12, 2006, 01:44:15 AM by Senator BRTD »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Well, he can still run in the 3rd district. You just have to live in-state, and those people have been voting for him for a while. It isn't a gerrymander for Utah to break 3-1 Republican, either.

He'd have a much better chance of winning in the 2nd, which is probably the most similar district population-wise even if not area-wise. Plus the new 3rd district contains Utah county, which pretty much eliminates the chance of any Democrat winning it.

Basically the new 2nd district is safe for Matheson, all other districts are safe GOP.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2006, 01:48:44 AM »

I've heard this plan before, that Utah and DC each get an extra seat.

Does this mean that the bill will pass and DC gets their own rep? It would have been bigger news if it happened already.

The map looks okay. They should just make sure that Utah County and Summit County (Park City) are in separate districts.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2006, 01:50:29 AM »

Park City should be in Matheson's district in this map. So it appears that contrary to DWTL's delusional hackishness, Matheson is far far safer under the new map.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2006, 01:54:00 AM »

Park City should be in Matheson's district in this map. So it appears that contrary to DWTL's delusional hackishness, Matheson is far far safer under the new map.

Thats good.

And Verily, the Mayor of Salt Lake City is Rocky Anderson, a great Democrat by Utah standards.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2006, 09:41:45 AM »

He lives in 2. The current map was gerrymandered to get rid of him basically, they split up Salt Lake City and gave his district that huge rural area in an attempt to get rid of him. He should have no problems in that 2nd district.
Are you sure? It includes pretty much all the rural parts of Utah that have any sort of democratic tradition...
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2006, 12:21:20 PM »

Are you sure? It includes pretty much all the rural parts of Utah that have any sort of democratic tradition...

It was still much tougher for him than the old district.

This was the old map:

Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2006, 12:28:36 PM »

I think the below is the old map, not that one:

BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2006, 12:30:54 PM »

no, that's the current map. The above map is the pre-2002 one.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2006, 12:31:38 PM »

Side note: Check out the ad of the guy who ran against Matheson this year. Try not to throw up: http://youtube.com/watch?v=coJlRueuhwI
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2006, 12:36:12 PM »

The old 3rd had a Democratic congressman in the early '90's; lost his seat in '96 IIRC.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2006, 12:40:24 PM »

The old 3rd had a Democratic congressman in the early '90's; lost his seat in '96 IIRC.

He survived 1994?
socaldem
skolodji

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2006, 12:41:26 PM »

I think the new 4th district from Salt Lake County down to Washington County could potentially elect a very conservative Democrat.  
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2006, 03:52:27 PM »

I think the new 4th district from Salt Lake County down to Washington County could potentially elect a very conservative Democrat.  

How many Democrats are left in Tooele county these days?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2006, 03:57:17 PM »

He survived 1994?

Yes. I think he lost in '96 because of Clinton's environmental policies or something.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2006, 06:33:45 PM »

He survived 1994?
Yes. I think he lost in '96 because of Clinton's environmental policies or something.
Clinton went to Arizona and announced that he was designating a huge area of Utah as wilderness area.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2006, 06:55:53 PM »

Looks like they did a good job at nonpartisan redistricting (or at least ungerrymandered redistricting), too. Kudos to Utah.
The bill being considered in Congress specified that the 4th Utah seat would be at large.  Apparently, that was the part of the deal to get the bill out of committee.  Democrats didn't want to give a seat to the GOP, and the GOP didn't want to give a seat to DC alone.  So they compromised and let the Democrats screw around with Utah a little bit.

In switching from 3-districts to 4, it makes the most sense for the two outside districts to give up 1/4 their population to the central district, and then split the expanded district in half.  The Democrats were afraid that would flip their one seat.  They were willing to give up on the at large seat if they could avoid redistricting.

When hearings were held before the Constitution subcommittee of the House Judiciary Committee in September, one of the legal experts testified that not only was the plan to give DC a representative suspect constitutionally, but he had a question about the at large seat.  There were also apparently rumors about amending the bill.  Del. Norton was frantic in trying to get assurances that it wouldn't happen.

Governor Huntsman called a special session to redistrict a 4th seat, so it appears that there was some sort of attempted deal to push the bill through Congress if amended to have 4 districts.  But it may have required that Utah demonstrate a fair plan before it could go through Congress.  In any event, the bill died when Congress adjourned.

When the Utah Senate took the vote, the Democrats whined, not because the redistricting was unfair, but they wanted to complain that there wasn't an independent redistricting commission.  But they voted for the bill anyway.   The 4 votes against it were based on opposition to representation for DC (by legislation).
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2006, 07:01:29 PM »

It is not clear.  The current 3 have been elected for a term of 2 years.  I don't see how you could throw those results out.  And I don't think you could let voters who had participated in the selection of one of three, also vote for another representative as well.  So maybe it wouldn't take effect until 2008 (which would also give time for the Supreme Court to rule on the constitutionality of DC representation).
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2006, 06:10:44 PM »

It is not clear.  The current 3 have been elected for a term of 2 years.  I don't see how you could throw those results out.  And I don't think you could let voters who had participated in the selection of one of three, also vote for another representative as well.  So maybe it wouldn't take effect until 2008 (which would also give time for the Supreme Court to rule on the constitutionality of DC representation).

Or all three Utah Representatives could agree to resign and trigger a statewide special election.  I imagine that there would likely be a lot of pressure for them to do so.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2006, 10:55:37 PM »

Or all three Utah Representatives could agree to resign and trigger a statewide special election.  I imagine that there would likely be a lot of pressure for them to do so.
But I'd think that would make their current district seats vacant.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies