The "do-nothing" 109th Congress is officially adjourned
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:36:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  The "do-nothing" 109th Congress is officially adjourned
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The "do-nothing" 109th Congress is officially adjourned  (Read 1064 times)
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 09, 2006, 04:17:39 PM »

Finally, at 4:40 am EST Saturday, December 9, 2006, the 109th Congress adjourned for the last time.  This Congress only met 102 days this session, 8 days fewer than the "do-nothing" Congress of the Truman administration.

Democrats are promising a fresh change when the 110th Congress convenes on Thursday, January 4, 2007.  New House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer (D-MD) promises a return to 5-day workweeks and New Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV) and Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) promise a return to civility and less partisanship in the new Senate.

One closing remark on the 109th Congress, outgoing House Speaker Dennis Hastert (R-IL) told his House, and I paraphrase, "I will enjoy returning to the rank and file of the benches where my heart is on January 4".  On that day, he will hand the gavel to new House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA), the first woman Speaker of the House, who promises a mad dash out the door by voting on raising the minimum wage for the first time in a decade, among others.

The preceding paragraphs courtesy of www.yahoo.com/news
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2006, 04:23:04 PM »

"...a fresh change..." Is that the opposite of "a stale change."
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2006, 05:04:58 PM »

Good, the 110th Congress should be better then the 109th Congress.

Republicans: Do not worry, there wont be an extreme socially liberal agenda. Pelosi barely, if she does, have the votes, and Bush is still President.

Democrats: Do not go to extreme on some of these social issues, are Democratic Pickups in NC, IN, KS and FL can be gone with the wind in 2008.

We will have ideological balanced Leadership in the 110th Congress.

Speaker Pelosi is a bit to liberal for me, But I am sure she is strong enough to leader Congress.

I hope Bush, Pelosi, Reid work on issues like this:

Social Security
Immigration Reform
Iraq
Government Fraud

Those are the most important issues, in no particular order, as of now. And I am sure Bush and Pelosi can compromise on that.

Now things like abortion, gay marriage, flag burning... ummmm welll... they are not my top issues at this time.

This will be an interesting two years.

James

19 of the 29 pickups are locks. 5 could be vulnerable and another 5 are in serious trouble. Regardless, the Democrats will likely hold the House. The 98% incumbency rate in non-wave elections will insulate their majority.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2006, 05:37:05 PM »

Good, the 110th Congress should be better then the 109th Congress.

Republicans: Do not worry, there wont be an extreme socially liberal agenda. Pelosi barely, if she does, have the votes, and Bush is still President.

Democrats: Do not go to extreme on some of these social issues, are Democratic Pickups in NC, IN, KS and FL can be gone with the wind in 2008.

We will have ideological balanced Leadership in the 110th Congress.

Speaker Pelosi is a bit to liberal for me, But I am sure she is strong enough to leader Congress.

I hope Bush, Pelosi, Reid work on issues like this:

Social Security
Immigration Reform
Iraq
Government Fraud

Those are the most important issues, in no particular order, as of now. And I am sure Bush and Pelosi can compromise on that.

Now things like abortion, gay marriage, flag burning... ummmm welll... they are not my top issues at this time.

This will be an interesting two years.

James

19 of the 29 pickups are locks. 5 could be vulnerable and another 5 are in serious trouble. Regardless, the Democrats will likely hold the House. The 98% incumbency rate in non-wave elections will insulate their majority.

That's an excellent point about incumbents. They very rarely lose in the House; that's why reclaiming the majority is so difficult once it's been lost. Many freshmen Democrats who might seem too liberal for their districts right now will establish themselves, bring home some pork, and get reelected.

Another big factor is that Republicans who were considering retirement are now much more likely to retire in 2008, while Democrats who were considering it are much more likely to remain. This was a big factor hurting the Democrats in their bid to take back Congress in 1996.

Assuming a "normal" environment in 2008 and no wave for either side, I expect small Democratic gains in the Senate (Republicans have to defend far more seats than Democrats do) and small Republican gains in the House (since some Democrats who were swept in with the wave this year will lose when the tide rushes back out to sea).
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies