In Maine, Allen May Challenge Collins
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:30:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  In Maine, Allen May Challenge Collins
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: In Maine, Allen May Challenge Collins  (Read 4450 times)
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 07, 2006, 04:57:54 PM »

Rep. Tom Allen (D-ME) said Wednesday he is '"seriously considering' running for Senate in 2008, and political watchers in" Maine "say he looks and acts like someone preparing for a Senate bid," reports Roll Call.

"Democrats, eager to build on the gains they made in the Northeast in the midterm elections, would like to seriously challenge" Sen. Susan Collins (R-ME), one of the few Republican moderates left in Congress."

http://politicalwire.com/archives/2006/12/07/in_maine_allen_may_challenge_collins.html

If Allen does run then it leads to me think whether the climate has changed enough in the North East for the race to be close.  Certainly, the fact that it is a presidential year will help him. 
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2006, 05:00:10 PM »

Hopefully we can take her down. I'm sick of hearing how moderate those pro Iraq war, pro-Alito Maine Senators are.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2006, 05:27:19 PM »

How is being pro-Alito extreme conservative?  Only Chafee didn't support him and only Chafee didn't support the war, however, Collins and Snowe did vote against FMA which only a handful of other Repub didn't
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2006, 06:05:13 PM »

Yet another really good reason for people like me to hate Democrats.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2006, 06:07:41 PM »

ALL DEMOCARTS ARE THE SAME
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2006, 06:16:06 PM »

You hate Democrats because they give Republicans legitimate challengers in elections?
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2006, 06:17:47 PM »
« Edited: December 08, 2006, 11:00:30 AM by nickshepDEM »

Rep. Tom Allen (D-ME) said Wednesday he is '"seriously considering' running for Senate in 2008, and political watchers in" Maine "say he looks and acts like someone preparing for a Senate bid," reports Roll Call.

This is great news. At the very least, Allen is a credible candidate who can give Collins a run for her money. She shouldn't get a free pass.

F#*k off.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2006, 06:40:02 PM »
« Edited: December 08, 2006, 11:01:41 AM by nickshepDEM »

Hey, thanks for letting me know how I can include the word "F#*k" in this forum without the damn censors getting in the way.

FYI, the chances are pretty high that the Republicans run a candidate in 2008 who appeals to Mainiacs better than any candidate since Bush 41.  That's the way the tide flows.  And Allen is not from the best CD in Maine to come from and run, imho. 

That being said, he makes the race somewhat interesting, though those Collins' approval ratings are awful high.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2006, 07:00:56 PM »

Doesn't Collins have like a 70% approval rating? I honestly cannot envision her defeat in 2008.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2006, 07:06:42 PM »

Doesn't Collins have like a 70% approval rating? I honestly cannot envision her defeat in 2008.

While she has a 70% approval rating, she also has a history of lesser electoral victories than those of Snowe.  Her first victory in 1996 was with less than 50% of the vote, and her victory in 2002 was with only 58% of the vote.  Snowe, on the other hand, received 60% of the vote when she was first elected in 1994, and she has never gotten below 60% of the vote once.

That said, I think Collins is definitely strongly favored to win nonetheless.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2006, 07:18:04 PM »
« Edited: December 08, 2006, 11:03:15 AM by nickshepDEM »

Hey, thanks for letting me know how I can include the word
F#*k off." in this forum without the damn censors getting in the way.

Grin
NewFederalist
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -2.26

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2006, 07:39:41 PM »

Hopefully we can take her down. I'm sick of hearing how moderate those pro Iraq war, pro-Alito Maine Senators are.

Who is the "we" you refer to above? I thought you left the Democrats over the torture issue. Or do you mean liberals instead of Democrats? Not trying to bust your chops just trying to understand those who use the light green avatar.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2006, 07:48:55 PM »

Maine ought to kicked out of the Union or at least nuked for electing Susan Collins.  What an idiot.
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2006, 10:26:51 PM »
« Edited: December 08, 2006, 11:04:55 AM by nickshepDEM »

You hate Democrats because they give Republicans legitimate challengers in elections?

I hate Democrats because they take down good men and women like Nancy Johnson, Linc Chafee, and Jim Leach, but Inholfe and Tancredo get a free pass.

Maine ought to kicked out of the Union or at least nuked for electing Susan Collins.  What an idiot.

As Rob would say,  F#*k off.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2006, 10:28:51 PM »

I hate Democrats because they take down good men and women like Nancy Johnson, Linc Chafee, and Jim Leach, but Inholfe and Tancredo get a free pass.

You think we wouldn't take Inhofe or Tancredo down given the oppurtunity?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2006, 10:30:27 PM »

As far as I'm concerned Collins is just as much human garbage as Inhofe and Tancredo. Same with Nancy Johnson. Chafee and Leach were OK, but they still had to go down.
Soaring Eagle

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2006, 10:52:18 PM »

Apparently you hate American voters who booted those people out of office. The Democrats don't "take down good men and women," voters do.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2006, 10:57:39 PM »
« Edited: December 08, 2006, 11:05:23 AM by nickshepDEM »

Oklahoma is a very conservative state, despite being in a leftward moving state Tancredo is in a very conservative district.  Leach, Chafee & Collins are all in moderate to liberal states/ districts.  You tend to go for the districts and states you have the best chance of winning.  I would LOVE to see Inhofe and tancredo gone.  i would rather see them go than Chafee, Collins, Leach.  And I'm sure 99% of Democrats will agree with me  However, its not about who do you want to knock off more, its about what seats/ states give you the best chances to win.  Sometimes it will be those on the fringe who you really dislike, but because of gerrymandering and the way many states are its  generally not going to be the case.  And lets not pretend the GOP doesn't do the same thing.  They are more likely to make a serious challenge to the conservative or moderate Democrat in a conservative to moderate district/ state, than they are to the liberal Democrat in the liberal district/ state.  Not because they want to knock off the conservative or moderate Dem more than the liberal Dem, but because they are going with what gives them the best chance to win.

As Rob would say,  F#*k off.
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2006, 01:13:04 AM »

Oklahoma is a very conservative state, despite being in a leftward moving state Tancredo is in a very conservative district. .....

Please do not misunderstand my sentiments as a lack of understanding of basic political principles.  I completely understand why you run and support candidates against moderate Republicans in swing districts.  However, given that you are the ones who have destroyed my political heroes, and made a further takeover of the Republican party by out-of-touch, out-of-their-mind extremists, I really have no one else to be mad at but your party.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2006, 01:22:09 AM »
« Edited: December 08, 2006, 01:24:03 AM by Gabu »

A free pass?  Last I checked, in 2006 Tancredo got a Democratic opponent who broke 40% in the district.  As for Inhofe, he did get a Democratic opponent in 2004 and was held below 60% of the vote.  What do you mean by "a free pass"?

Are you saying that the Democrats don't want people like Tancredo and Inhofe gone?  Of course they do.  It just happens to be the case that moderate Republicans from areas John Kerry won happen to be easier to win against for Democrats, while representatives in the richest county in America and senators in Oklahoma are rather hard to win against.  If the Democrats had some ace up their sleeve against Tancredo or Inhofe, you'd better believe they'd make use of it.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2006, 01:22:25 AM »

Collins supported racist Lott in his one vote victory election to the Republican leadership.

Some moderate.

http://www.thehill.com/thehill/export/TheHill/News/Frontpage/120706/alexander.html
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2006, 01:24:22 AM »

We try to take down the extremists. Hey, we defeated two whacko Virginia Senators in this last election. But often it's just easier to defeat the less whacko Republicans because they represent a less whacko district. At the end of the day, the Republicans all support the same whacko agenda.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2006, 01:33:23 AM »

I don't really like Collings but I hope she destroys him.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2006, 01:46:37 AM »

Oklahoma is a very conservative state, despite being in a leftward moving state Tancredo is in a very conservative district. .....

Please do not misunderstand my sentiments as a lack of understanding of basic political principles.  I completely understand why you run and support candidates against moderate Republicans in swing districts.  However, given that you are the ones who have destroyed my political heroes, and made a further takeover of the Republican party by out-of-touch, out-of-their-mind extremists, I really have no one else to be mad at but your party.

I know, I said it mainly in jest, but your anger is a bit displaced.  Shouldn't you be mad at your own party for being taken over by the out-of-touch, out-of-their-mind extremists??
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2006, 02:04:12 AM »

However, given that you are the ones who have destroyed my political heroes, and made a further takeover of the Republican party by out-of-touch, out-of-their-mind extremists, I really have no one else to be mad at but your party.

You could be mad at your own party for supporting people like Tancredo and Inhofe... Tongue
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies