What if france gets more immigration in the 19th century?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 09:32:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History
  Alternative History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  What if france gets more immigration in the 19th century?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What if france gets more immigration in the 19th century?  (Read 1469 times)
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 07, 2006, 12:51:47 PM »

POD: The premise is that sometime during the period of Orleanist rule France's government realizes that it is falling behind in population to the . Now all this happened in the real world( IIRC over 1/4 of France's population is the descendants of the immigrants it got) but what happens if it happens to a drastically increased extent?

I see this France having anywhere from 90 to 100 million Frenchmen today as a result of immigration. As a result of all this I would imagine that France's popular culture would be much more vibrant and cosmopolitan( more of a mixed influence from Europe) and exported more around the world. After all this France is 1/3 the total population/economic size of the United States so I would imagine that there would be a corresponding amount of French cultural influence on the world stage. I see Western Europe along with France's ex-colonial possessions being more in France's cultural sphere of influence than they are today. Given that the United States and France would share more in common than they do now( both would be republics with a long history of immigration) It would not be a stretch to see a US-French special relationship instead of an Anglo-American one. I would imagine that a France with a bigger tradition of accepting immigration/assimilating immigrants would be better able to integrate the late 20th century/ongoing 21st century immigration. I also see this France accepting a sizable number of war refugees/Displaced persons after WWII. Algeria could go one of two ways; either being a hideous mess as France holds on longer and fights to the bitter end or ( more realistically since France is a democracy) France decides to gradually give over power to the local Algerians over 5-10 years.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2006, 04:25:24 PM »

France I don't believe would be able to sustain itself with a similar constitution to what it has now. Bear in mind France has had decades of trouble in dealing with what is still a relatively small immigrant population (though you are right about the numbers of 'hidden' immigrants such as the Portuguese who do not register on the scale) As my own great grandmother was French I hope in this timeline she would still be able to move to Scotland Smiley
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2006, 06:21:16 PM »

Even if France made immigration easier, the question becomes why would people move there?  For most of the 19th, France didn't even urbanize at a rate to absorb all of its own excess rural population and it certainly didn't need to import more farm labor.  The Orleanists did what they could to promote a strong mercantile class, indeed one can argue that politically they overdid it, leading to the Second Republic in response.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies