Senators up for reelection in '08 you would love to see retire?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:19:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Senators up for reelection in '08 you would love to see retire?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Senators up for reelection in '08 you would love to see retire?  (Read 3178 times)
Deano963

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 05, 2006, 11:44:10 PM »

Within reason. There has to at least be some speculation that a Senator you list is either planning to retire to run for President or just plain retire.

Mine:

Wayne Allard - I don't like his politics first of all, but having Senator Mark Udall would be awesome. I do believe that Udall would win this seat even if Allard didn't retire, however, so it dosen't really matter.

Joe Biden - His recent comments about Delaware being a slave state and joking about Delaware wanting to fight alongside the Confederacy in the Civil War in order to pander to a conservative crowd were just plain idiotic. If he runs for President he will do nothing but embarrass himself, but thankfully free up his Senate seat so a non-retarded Democrat can take the seat.

Thad Cochran - Most MS Republicans make me ill, and Cochran is no exception. Plus a Senator Mike Moore would be awesome.

John Kerry - All Kerry has done since he lost in '04 is occasionally say something really, really stupid that hurts the entire Democratic party. Marty Mehan, Ed Markey, Barney Frank, etc. - any one of them would be better.

Frank Lautenberg - Why is that Senators seem determined to die in office? Retire already. That state needs new blood badly. Pretty much any of the NJ Congressmen would be preferrable to Lautenberg.

Pete Domenici - He's old, reports are starting to come out that he is senile. On top of that a Senator Udall or Senator Richardson would be an improvement.

Jim Inhofe - Now that Allen, Burns and Santorum are gone, Inhofe is probably my least favorite Senator and an absolute moron to boot. We're talking about the man who to this day calls global warming a "hoax". It's nice that this buffoon will no longer be the Chair of the Environment committee, huh? I doubt that the Democrats would likely pick up this seat even if Inhofe did retire (although Henry would have a decent chance if he ran for an open seat), he's just such a wingnut I hope he retires regardless.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2006, 11:46:15 PM »

Norm "Lucky" Coleman. Although I would rather see him humiliated at the polls.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2006, 07:54:32 PM »

I'd say Allard and Inhofe.

Thad Cochran - Most MS Republicans make me ill, and Cochran is no exception. Plus a Senator Mike Moore would be awesome.

Actually, for an MS Republican, Cochran is pretty sane. Yes, Senator Moore would be awesome, but I'd rather have Cochran than Pickering, and I'm not totally convinced Moore would beat Pickering.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2006, 09:15:47 PM »

Most:

John Kerry, Dick Durbin, Tim Johnson (almost guaranteed pickup)

Least:

Lautenberg (Christie much better shot at him than Andrews), Inhofe, and Sessions
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2006, 12:10:45 AM »

Actually, for an MS Republican, Cochran is pretty sane. Yes, Senator Moore would be awesome, but I'd rather have Cochran than Pickering, and I'm not totally convinced Moore would beat Pickering.

I hope they make an ad against Pickerling with the footage of him in and church from the Borat movie. Pickerling will NOTTTTT be a Senator. Chen quei.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2006, 01:12:30 AM »

I hope they make an ad against Pickerling with the footage of him in and church from the Borat movie. Pickerling will NOTTTTT be a Senator. Chen quei.

Yeah, I was really embarassed to have Pickering as my congressman when I saw that movie.
And yes, Cochran is a nice and sane guy, I'd rather him retire and roll the dice for Moore than have Cochran breeze to another term.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2006, 01:18:24 AM »

Uh, so here's what would happen - Moore or whoever is running has the campaign run an ad with that scene, people can tell that the footage from the movie is mocking Evangelicals, people get mad that everyone in the congregation is being mocked and they come to Pickering's defense.

If a clip from Borat is the worst you have against this guy (and remember that it could backfire) then you are in bad shape.
Deano963

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2006, 05:50:44 PM »

I was laughing so hard during that scene that my sides hurt the next day. The part where Cohen was pretending to be posessed and speak in tongues was priceless.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2006, 08:31:27 PM »

I was laughing so hard during that scene that my sides hurt the next day. The part where Cohen was pretending to be posessed and speak in tongues was priceless.

Considering it's Mississippi, it would probably HELP him.
Nutmeg
thepolitic
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2006, 12:24:20 AM »

Within reason. There has to at least be some speculation that a Senator you list is either planning to retire to run for President or just plain retire.

I would say:
Allard (R) -- Agree with your comment.  And politicians need to honor their term limit pledges.

Biden (D) -- Agree with your comment.

Cochran -- Only to get Mike Moore.  Cochran's the best MS Republican I could hope for.

Collins (R) -- Honor your pledge and limit your ego.

Domenici (R) -- Would be nice to have two Senators Udall.  I guess that can wait 6 more years, though.

Kerry (D) -- Agree with your comment.

Lautenberg (D) -- Agree with your comment.

Roberts (R) -- Would Rep. Moore have any chance?  I would doubt Sibelius is interested now that she'll be chairing the DGA.  Otherwise Roberts seems affable enough.

Stevens (R) -- Although he probably will die in office, surely most anyone but his son would be better for the rest of the country.  But help us if little Ben should join Lisa Murkowski (Nepotism-AK).  The 40-year Stevens reign shall have been enough.

Warner (R) -- It would have been nice to get a Warner (D), but (R)'s already announced he's running again.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies