MI: Levin Will Run for Another Term
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:53:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MI: Levin Will Run for Another Term
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: MI: Levin Will Run for Another Term  (Read 2857 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 04, 2006, 08:31:17 PM »

I don't know if this has already been posted, but in case it hasn't:
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Levin to seek another Senate term in '08

By KEN THOMAS
ASSOCIATED PRESS WRITER

WASHINGTON -- Democratic Sen. Carl Levin, the incoming chairman of the Armed Services Committee, said Monday he will seek re-election in 2008.

The 72-year-old Michigan lawmaker was widely expected to seek a sixth term and will enter the race a heavy favorite. With Democrats winning control of the Senate, Levin will take the helm of the Armed Services panel, giving him a major role in shaping Iraq policy.

The Detroit lawmaker has called for troop withdrawals from Iraq beginning within four to six months. He has criticized the Bush administration for making the war open-ended, saying the White House has provided the Iraqis with a blank check with the presence of U.S. troops.

Levin said he hopes to win another term, citing his work on Armed Services and on issues crucial to Michigan's automotive and manufacturing industries.

He first was elected to the Senate in 1978. He defeated Republican state lawmaker Andrew "Rocky" Raczkowski in 2002 with 61 percent of the vote.

TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2006, 08:31:49 PM »

Good. One less seat Dems need to worry about.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2006, 08:33:26 PM »

Looks like Candice Miller will have to wait for Stabmenow in 2010 unless something goes really horribly wrong for Dems
Deano963

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2006, 08:42:59 PM »
« Edited: December 04, 2006, 08:46:04 PM by Deano963 »

Not at all surprising. He might have retired had the Dems failed to win back the Senate, but now he is the Chairman of the Armed Services Committee. He's not going to leave now that he has that. He is reelected easily with the usual stipulation that he does not have any corruption scandal or a "macaca" moment.

I also just thought I would throw it out there that Debbie Stabenow was just reelected. The current year is 2006. Senators serve 6 year terms. Therefore, I believe she is not up for reelection until 2012, unless my math is somehow off.

Just thought I would throw that out there in case anyone is confused.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2006, 08:48:10 PM »

We should have all known that this would happen once the Dems got the Senate.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2006, 08:48:17 PM »

. Senators serve 6 year terms. Therefore, I believe she is not up for reelection until 2012, unless my math is somehow off.

Hey Diaherria your so out of substance pointing out typos is all you can do now?  That's what I thought
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2006, 08:51:46 PM »

I don't know if this has already been posted, but in case it hasn't:
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Levin to seek another Senate term in '08

Huzzah!
Deano963

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2006, 08:52:04 PM »

jamespol, didn't I ask you nicely to teach your friend how to spell?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2006, 08:52:38 PM »

. Senators serve 6 year terms. Therefore, I believe she is not up for reelection until 2012, unless my math is somehow off.

Hey Diaherria your so out of substance pointing out typos is all you can do now?  That's what I thought

Troll
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2006, 08:56:34 PM »

I believe I did in the other thread, I spelt out it right.

To everyone else: I heard Auditor-elect Montee is eying bonds seat

James, ignore Diaherria everyone else on the forum has learned to do so, and second you try to make everything about MO moreso than I do about NJ
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2006, 09:00:02 PM »

I believe I did in the other thread, I spelt out it right.

To everyone else: I heard Auditor-elect Montee is eying bonds seat

James, ignore Diaherria everyone else on the forum has learned to do so, and second you try to make everything about MO moreso than I do about NJ

well sorry, i think everyone needs to calm down.

James, it wasn't a knock on you I was simply saying I thought it was funny Smiley
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2006, 10:28:53 PM »

kick out the geezer with the failing glasses!
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2006, 10:33:23 PM »

ugh.  not one of my favorite senators...
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2006, 12:55:09 AM »

Good news. This race can definitively be taken off the list of potentially competitive seats. The only question is whether Levin will crack 60 percent again.
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2006, 10:13:27 AM »

Good news. This race can definitively be taken off the list of potentially competitive seats. The only question is whether Levin will crack 60 percent again.

Candice Miller will probably end up running for Governor in 2010 now. 
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2006, 01:34:29 PM »

Too bad Goldie's not around to tell us the Republicans still have a chance at beating Levin.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2006, 02:08:52 AM »

Too bad Goldie's not around to tell us the Republicans still have a chance at beating Levin.

They could always try to run Devos again. Smiley

He was almost as bad of a candidate as Mark Kennedy.
Deano963

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2006, 06:49:00 PM »

I think it is so frickin hilarious that Devos spent about $40 million of his own money and still lost.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2006, 03:20:15 AM »

I think it is so frickin hilarious that Devos spent about $40 million of his own money and still lost.

Well see, all of that money he spent on the campaign helped boost the state's economy, thus winning reelection for Granholm. Smiley
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2006, 01:48:23 PM »

From Political Insider:

http://politicalinsider.com/2006/12/levin_may_face_off_against_an.html

Levin May Face Off Against Engler

With Sen. Carl Levin (D-MI) announcing that he will seek a sixth term in the U.S. Senate, word has already circulated that the Michigan Republican Party has a killer candidate to challenge and defeat Levin... and the last name is Engler. Before your mind jumps to the rotund, popular, former Gov. John Engler (R), think much smaller, female, but just as popular, former First Lady Michelle Engler.

Levin, who first was elected in 1978 after his brother Sander lost two narrow races for Governor, will be the new Senate Armed Services Chairman in the 110th Congress. Sander Levin is now a Congressman.

Levin's announcement immediately closed the door on three members of the House, Republicans Candice Miller and Mike Rogers and Democrat Bart Stupak who had looked to move up. Also two other Democrats, Gov. Jennifer Granholm and former U.S. Congressman David Bonior, who was a strong runner-up for Governor in 2002, both had been considered strong bets to run had Levin retired. Bonior will now serve as John Edwards campaign manager for President in 2008 and Granholm will serve a second term ending two years before Levin's next term ends should he win a sixth term.

But some Michigan Republicans think Michelle Engler could make a strong bid to win the Senate seat and provide a bright spot for a party that has taken a downward spiral. Engler, a native Texan, has ties to President Bush as well. She received her bachelor's degree in government at the University of Texas and is a graduate of the University of Texas Law School. Prior to her marriage, Michelle DeMunbrun was a partner in the Texas law firm of Nathan, Wood and Sommers, where she specialized in bankruptcy law and commercial litigation. She also served as Of Counsel for the Grand Rapids law firm Varnum, Riddering, Schmidt, & Howlett from 1992 - 1994. In 2001, Michelle was appointed by President George W. Bush to serve as a member of the Federal Home Mortgage Corporation (Freddie Mac). She was re-appointed to this position in 2002.

Its not unprecedented for wives of politicians to run for the Senate in both Michigan and in the country. But they have had mixed results. Republican Former First Lady of Michigan Lenore Romney, wife of Governor George W. Romney and mother of Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney, made an aggressive challenge to then-incumbent Democrat Senator Phillip A. Hart but lost. However, more recently, Hillary Rodham Clinton (D-NY) went from the White House as First Lady to being New York's junior U.S. Senator.

Jane Abraham the Co-Chair of the state Republican Party and the wife of former U.S. Sen. Spencer Abraham of Michigan, has also indicated she may run as well. However, Michigan Republicans have been down that road before, this past year when they sought a prominent Republican to challenge freshman Debbie Stabenow and grew quicklyfrustrated with Abraham.

Stabenow was re-elected this past November with 60% of the vote over Detroit Sheriff Mike Bouchard. Levin has won re-election the last four times by getting at least 58% of the vote. In 2002, he defeated Republican State Rep. Andrew "Rocky" Raczkowski with 61%.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2006, 01:53:51 PM »

But some Michigan Republicans think Michelle Engler could make a strong bid to win the Senate seat and provide a bright spot for a party that has taken a downward spiral. ion in 2002.

And Dick DeVos was a strong candidate, and Bouchard was closing the gap in the final days...
Deano963

« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2006, 05:39:46 PM »

Engler, a native Texan, has ties to President Bush as well.  In 2001, Michelle was appointed by President George W. Bush to serve as a member of the Federal Home Mortgage Corporation (Freddie Mac). She was re-appointed to this position in 2002.

Yeh, she's gonna do just great in a federal election in Michigan....running against the Armed Services Committee Chairman, no less.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2006, 08:16:20 PM »

obviously the people in michigan dont mind having an economy that is stuck in the toilet.  why else would they keep re-electing the same awful people?
Deano963

« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2006, 08:21:21 PM »

obviously the people in michigan dont mind having an economy that is stuck in the toilet.  why else would they keep re-electing the same awful people?

Your ignorance regarding the reasons behind Michigan's terrible economy is all too common. To make it short for you, the blame lies at the federal level, if anywhere, not witht the local politicians. When your economy is hugely based upon auto-manufacturing, deals like NAFTA and CAFTA which allow companies to pay someone in Mexico 50 cents/hr as opposed to $30/hr in Michigan do a lot of harm.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2006, 08:32:05 PM »

Your ignorance regarding the reasons behind Michigan's terrible economy is all too common. To make it short for you, the blame lies at the federal level, if anywhere, not witht the local politicians. When your economy is hugely based upon auto-manufacturing, deals like NAFTA and CAFTA which allow companies to pay someone in Mexico 50 cents/hr as opposed to $30/hr in Michigan do a lot of harm.

labor unions and the ineffeciency they cause is a big reason why michigan lags behind nearly all of the 49 other states.

your democrats are whores of the afl-cio.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies