Who do you think will be the next Pope after Francis?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 04:40:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Who do you think will be the next Pope after Francis?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Who do you think will be the next Pope after Francis?  (Read 2080 times)
Leading Political Consultant Ma Anand Sheela
Heat
Poland

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2022, 02:42:11 PM »

so true bestie
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2022, 03:18:05 PM »

Martin O'Malley is the most Bronzist politician in history from outside of Metro NYC, tbh.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2022, 01:55:19 AM »

Tagle obviously has the highest individual chance due to being Francis's blindingly-obvious chosen successor, but he's still well short of 50%. We won't be having another Benedict going into a conclave for a while.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2022, 09:36:01 PM »

Tagle obviously has the highest individual chance due to being Francis's blindingly-obvious chosen successor, but he's still well short of 50%. We won't be having another Benedict going into a conclave for a while.

Pope Francis was made Cardinal by John Paul II and was elected by a body made of John Paul II and Benedict XVI appointees.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2022, 10:29:48 PM »

probably one of the Cardinals.  My money is on Pujols.

Does Yadi's leadership mean nothing to you?
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2022, 04:17:39 PM »

What about Cardinal Sarah?  Age could be an issue, though.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2022, 06:13:34 PM »

Sarah has alienated himself even from a lot of the other conservatives, less by taking extreme positions and more by being disingenuous about them.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2022, 07:26:17 PM »

Sarah has alienated himself even from a lot of the other conservatives, less by taking extreme positions and more by being disingenuous about them.

Hmmm...

I do believe it's likely there will be a developing-world led conservative counterrevolution in Catholicism within the next 2 Popes as they fight to distinguish themselves fromWestern Mainline Protestantism and avoid a similar fate. 
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2022, 11:22:49 PM »

Cardinal Malcolm Ranjith of Sri Lanka, equally Conservative ( probably even more so than Sarah ), and at the same time, has been a Zealoud Advocate of Third World Issues like Poverty especially in his home country of Sri Lanka.

I'm betting all my money on Ranjith folks. Right age. Academic credentials. Multilingual. Experienced in the Vatican more so than Tagle.  First Asian Pope if elected. 
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2022, 11:36:41 PM »

Hmmm...

I do believe it's likely there will be a developing-world led conservative counterrevolution in Catholicism within the next 2 Popes as they fight to distinguish themselves fromWestern Mainline Protestantism and avoid a similar fate. 

Developing world conservative Catholicism isn't really the same as Euro-American conservative Catholicism. The vast majority of these people don't give a sh**t about Mass of the Ages reform of the reform indult inside baseball or Acton-Napa climate-denier gold-pen libertarianism or whatever. Sarah is too close to the Euro-American conservative position and style. We will indeed get a "deplorable" Global South Pope and it will almost certainly be someone other than him.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2022, 11:42:53 PM »

Hmmm...

Developing world conservative Catholicism isn't really the same as Euro-American conservative Catholicism. The vast majority of these people don't give a sh**t about Mass of the Ages reform of the reform indult inside baseball or Acton-Napa climate-denier gold-pen libertarianism or whatever. Sarah is too close to the Euro-American conservative position and style. We will indeed get a "deplorable" Global South Pope and it will almost certainly be someone other than him.

Malcolm Ranjith.

I keep on repeating his name in this thread; but reading up his biography, and his views, makes me go hmm, he's impressive. His wide range of experiences; his multilingualism, Academic smarts, pastoral chops, and he's not that old. 74 is a perfect age.

Sure he is more Conservative than Francis, But I'll take it. Besides; Out of all the third world canidates;

Turkson's tenure in the Curia has not been a success. Tagle is too inexperienced in the Vatican to begin with. And Sarah as noted has his own problems.

So, Ranjith.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2022, 02:30:46 AM »

A black Pope, hopefully. We could use one.

(Yes, I know there were 3 Popes from Africa, but we don't know what the color of their skin was.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2022, 01:35:29 PM »
« Edited: August 02, 2022, 01:39:17 PM by Boris Is Broken »

Hmmm...

Malcolm Ranjith.

I keep on repeating his name in this thread; but reading up his biography, and his views, makes me go hmm, he's impressive. His wide range of experiences; his multilingualism, Academic smarts, pastoral chops, and he's not that old. 74 is a perfect age.

Sure he is more Conservative than Francis, But I'll take it. Besides; Out of all the third world canidates;

Turkson's tenure in the Curia has not been a success. Tagle is too inexperienced in the Vatican to begin with. And Sarah as noted has his own problems.

So, Ranjith.

I think recent events in Sri Lanka might raise concerns about Ranjith's previously very sound-seeming political judgment given that he didn't bail on the Rajapaksas until quite late (although, on the other hand, when he did he went after them HARD), but I still agree with you that he's an underrated possibility.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies