EU bullying Apple into adopting universal cable
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 11:38:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  EU bullying Apple into adopting universal cable
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: EU bullying Apple into adopting universal cable  (Read 1386 times)
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 07, 2022, 07:34:27 PM »

https://www.forbes.com/sites/roberthart/2022/06/07/apple-will-be-forced-to-use-usb-c-charger-in-iphones-under-landmark-eu-agreement/?sh=50b4b3068792

America needs to protect its tech company from salty European regulators.
Fight for Trump
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2022, 07:36:49 PM »

I already called this a couple years ago and was praying the EU would do it, as they're the only governmental authority with the backbone to do it. It was always ridiculous that their own products were not compatible with each other for no good reason. (i.e. MacBooks use Thunderbolt while iPhones use Lightning)
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2022, 07:37:19 PM »

I already called this a couple years ago and was praying the EU would do it, as they're the only organization with the backbone to do it. It was always ridiculous that their own products were not compatible with each other for no good reason. (i.e. MacBooks use Thunderbolt while iPhones use Lightning)

The EU Only has the backbone because they don't have any tech companies.
Fight for Trump
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2022, 07:38:04 PM »

I already called this a couple years ago and was praying the EU would do it, as they're the only organization with the backbone to do it. It was always ridiculous that their own products were not compatible with each other for no good reason. (i.e. MacBooks use Thunderbolt while iPhones use Lightning)

SAP?...

The most cliche truism in business is "nobody ever got fired for buying SAP".
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2022, 07:39:13 PM »

Based EU holding big tech to account. Cool You love to see it folks.

Of course I'm sure anti-EU leftists will completely ignore these and all the other ways in which the EU is capable to deal with multinational corporations in a way individual countries wouldn't be able to, because the reductionist narrative about EU being all neoliberal shills is so much more fun.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2022, 07:40:34 PM »

Of course I'm sure anti-EU leftists will completely ignore these and all the other ways in which the EU is capable to deal with multinational corporations in a way individual countries wouldn't be able to, because the reductionist narrative about EU being all neoliberal shills is so much more fun.

It's not a regulator, its a protectionist abomination.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2022, 07:41:36 PM »

It's not a regulator, its a protectionist abomination.

Cope
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2022, 07:42:48 PM »

Lightning is a terrible product that keeps breaking, so, it's a win for all users.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2022, 08:25:11 PM »

I mean regulations are bad, but also Apple is a BS company and its products are trash. I may generally support private enterprise, but I reserve the right to discern between companies that provide useful products and services and those that exist only to sell a brand.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2022, 08:39:35 PM »

I mean regulations are bad, but also Apple is a BS company and its products are trash. I may generally support private enterprise, but I reserve the right to discern between companies that provide useful products and services and those that exist only to sell a brand.

Worse. Apple’s USB lightning scheme is a nuisance and a anticompetitive conspiracy  on the public. Someone has to stand up against it, even if this EU action seems to be unreasonable.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2022, 11:25:46 PM »

I'm not sure who I dislike more, Apple or EU regulators.

<rant against Apple users deleted>
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2022, 11:27:35 PM »

Good. F[inks] Apple.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2022, 01:29:05 AM »

This is old news but on the whole

Good for consumers because they no longer have to buy the absurdly overpriced apple cables

Good for competition because it breaks apples closed shop

Good for the environment because being able to share cables means less pointless needing to buy different cables and therefore less electrical waste

All round completely sensible and good decision. Thank god we have something like the EU that both can and will stand up for the consumer when no one else will.
EastAnglianLefty

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2022, 04:47:36 AM »

Yeah, the argument that this harms tech companies relies upon the idea that tech companies can only profit by requiring the use of their proprietary and overpriced peripherals. And if that's the case, then they're crap tech companies.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2022, 04:59:43 AM »
« Edited: June 08, 2022, 09:05:32 AM by Middle-aged Europe »

Laws = "bullying" ?  Huh

Am I supposed to feel pity now for huge mega-corporations who get "bullied"? Is this the no. 1 problem our societies are facing today?
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2022, 05:13:33 AM »

Btw, I see this as a freedom move purely because it annoys me at work to get asked by colleagues whether I have a Apple cable while I only have a Samsung cable.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2022, 07:02:26 AM »

Yeah, the argument that this harms tech companies relies upon the idea that tech companies can only profit by requiring the use of their proprietary and overpriced peripherals. And if that's the case, then they're crap tech companies.

This truism is, indeed, applicable much more widely than tech products.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2022, 07:07:30 AM »

You mean companies that want us to pay them to do the work for them or not work at all?
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2022, 07:30:44 AM »

The idea that the poor Apple is being bullied by the mean EU  is very amusing. I mean, are you serious?

https://m.economictimes.com/markets/stocks/news/apple-m-cap-at-3-trillion-only-four-nations-worth-more-than-the-iphone-maker/articleshow/88685135.cms

Apple is the richest corporation in terms of cash in the world. The company has more cash reserves than the cash reserves of all Indian IT players put together. Apple's market cap is more than the GDP of 186 countries. Only US, China, Japan and Germany are ahead of it.    

Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2022, 08:49:21 AM »

This thread title, man.  If Atlas had been around in the 80s, I imagine yellow avatars would have led with “Government bullies car makers into including seatbelts”.
Leading Political Consultant Ma Anand Sheela
Heat
Poland

« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2022, 09:23:19 AM »

Good. Europe doesn't need its own Silicon Mordor.
rosin
Rookie
Denmark

« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2022, 06:44:41 AM »

Meh.

If Apple believes they are unfairly treated by the EU, they have the freedom (or should we say 'freedumb') to pull out of the EU. (But I doubt they would do that - for obvious reasons.)
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2022, 09:41:19 AM »

This thread title, man.  If Atlas had been around in the 80s, I imagine yellow avatars would have led with “Government bullies car makers into including seatbelts”.

Nah this is legit less about me being a yellow avatar and more about the fact that I just hate the EU so much for actually posing a credible economic bloc strong as America.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2022, 09:45:50 AM »

Reads like common sense to me, not "bullying" (lol). Something that could already have been done by the private sector without new rules by govt authorities.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2022, 10:13:38 AM »

Nah this is legit less about me being a yellow avatar and more about the fact that I just hate the EU so much for actually posing a credible economic bloc strong as America.

Same idiotic underlying thought process.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies