EU bullying Apple into adopting universal cable
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 10:01:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  EU bullying Apple into adopting universal cable
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: EU bullying Apple into adopting universal cable  (Read 1382 times)
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2022, 11:07:39 AM »

This thread title, man.  If Atlas had been around in the 80s, I imagine yellow avatars would have led with “Government bullies car makers into including seatbelts”.

Nah this is legit less about me being a yellow avatar and more about the fact that I just hate the EU so much for actually posing a credible economic bloc strong as America.

Alright then - full points for honesty, mate.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2022, 11:17:37 AM »

Serious question that I haven't seen addressed in the article or in this thread: what happens when the USB-C protocol is supplanted by something better, much like USB-A has been replaced by USB-C? Will it be up to a European Union regulator to decide whether this advance is sufficiently significant to be acceptable, or is USB-C frozen forever, or does anything new have to be in some way based on USB-C?

To lay my cards out on the table, as someone who works in the tech industry I find EU regulations to be often technologically illiterate and always vexatious. They are a frequent cause of complaint, which I guess the patriotic Europeans would find to be a positive.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2022, 12:03:26 PM »

This thread title, man.  If Atlas had been around in the 80s, I imagine yellow avatars would have led with “Government bullies car makers into including seatbelts”.

Nah this is legit less about me being a yellow avatar and more about the fact that I just hate the EU so much for actually posing a credible economic bloc strong as America.

Honesty maybe, but strictly speaking we don't actually know lfromnj's actual opinion on one-size-fits-all universal charging cables for phones... in a thread about one-size-fits-all universal charging cables for phones that he started himself. Which is very weird.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2022, 12:23:42 PM »
« Edited: June 09, 2022, 12:27:09 PM by lfromnj »

This thread title, man.  If Atlas had been around in the 80s, I imagine yellow avatars would have led with “Government bullies car makers into including seatbelts”.

Honesty maybe, but strictly speaking we don't actually know lfromnj's actual opinion on one-size-fits-all universal charging cables for phones... in a thread about one-size-fits-all universal charging cables for phones that he started himself. Which is very weird.

Sorta like Dule, I actually do find this a nice QOL improvement and Apple is dumb. However I also would oppose this both due to being a yellow, along with the fact as Xahar said government bureaucracy in updating this will take a while in the future rather than letting individual companies experiment.

The main reason I did create this thread is due to my disdain for the EU's power in breaking American economic hegemony and the fact that the main reason they regulate tech so hard is because other countries created it and they are mad. I do believe Americans need to respond harsher to how the EU seeks to harm American companies such as Google by claiming they are a search engine monopoly when it is incredibly easy to use any engine one wishes.  These are nothing more than thinly veiled tariffs that we should respond back with until they back down. We are simply ceding economic ground .

I even admit I would absolutely support the EU if I lived in the EU, I just hate it as an outsider.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2022, 12:33:38 PM »

The main reason I did create this thread is due to my disdain for the EU's power in breaking American economic hegemony and the fact that the main reason they regulate tech so hard is because other countries created it and they are mad. I do believe Americans need to respond harsher to how the EU seeks to harm American companies such as Google by claiming they are a search engine monopoly when it is incredibly easy to use any engine one wishes.  These are nothing more than thinly veiled tariffs that we should respond back with until they back down. We are simply ceding economic ground .

I even admit I would absolutely support the EU if I lived in the EU, I just hate it as an outsider.

To be fair, we have by now, a well established tradition of the EU cracking down on the obvious abuses of American tech capitalism; and the US cracking down on the abuses of the European banking sector, and both always being a bit lapse on the abuses of their own corporations.

Ultimately it's probably good to have two big powerful democratic economic blocks that can keep each others' corporations' bad behaviour in check. You know, far better than the alternate future of the US and China just knocking lumps out of each other just because they want to hurt each other.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2022, 02:47:12 PM »

Serious question that I haven't seen addressed in the article or in this thread: what happens when the USB-C protocol is supplanted by something better, much like USB-A has been replaced by USB-C? Will it be up to a European Union regulator to decide whether this advance is sufficiently significant to be acceptable, or is USB-C frozen forever, or does anything new have to be in some way based on USB-C?

To lay my cards out on the table, as someone who works in the tech industry I find EU regulations to be often technologically illiterate and always vexatious. They are a frequent cause of complaint, which I guess the patriotic Europeans would find to be a positive.

Well I certainly don't expect Eurocrats to be the most technologically literate types, to be sure, but the question is whether or not some not-exactly-tech-savvy regulations are preferrable to muh self-regulating free market when it comes to ensuring that consumers are treated fairly. And I think that as a leftist there's an obvious answer to this question.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2022, 02:59:07 PM »

Universal standards would be one of the basic demands of any meaningful liberalism, surely?
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies