Lincoln v Wilson: who would you vote for?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 11:17:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Lincoln v Wilson: who would you vote for?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ...
Abraham Lincoln

Woodrow Wilson

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 28

Author Topic: Lincoln v Wilson: who would you vote for?  (Read 5008 times)
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 29, 2006, 12:54:05 AM »
« edited: November 29, 2006, 12:58:12 AM by MaC »

and explain why
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2006, 01:12:27 PM »

I consider Lincon to be one of our best and Wilson to be one of our worst Presidents.  If T. Woodrow Wilson were to run against Lou C. Fer, I'd likely voter for Mr. Fer as the lesser of two evils.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2006, 03:58:49 PM »

Wilson was extremely hard headed, and couldn't work with the Senate on the League. Lincoln, by all accounts was more interested in a peaceful means of bringing the South back in slowly, so as not to anger the radicals or the Democrats.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2006, 12:28:21 AM »

Lincoln
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2006, 07:31:05 AM »

Wilson was less of a war criminal. So I'd vote for him.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2006, 08:09:37 AM »

Wilson through his policy during WWI paved the way to WWII.

I'm not a fan of Wilson (at all), but that's unfair.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2006, 03:10:26 PM »

Lincoln, by all accounts was more interested in a peaceful means of bringing the South back in slowly, so as not to anger the radicals or the Democrats.

Lincoln.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2006, 11:37:42 PM »

Wilson through his policy during WWI paved the way to WWII.

I'm not a fan of Wilson (at all), but that's unfair.

Wilson may have paved with good intentions, but it's very fair.  If the U.S. had stayed truly neutral and refused not only to fight in the European War but to sell munitions to the combatants.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2006, 01:02:20 AM »

Lincoln was truly a great leader. Not perfect, but great.

I always disliked Wilson, cheifly because he was a nasty racist. Nonetheless, Wilson was considered great by most people until recently, when Americans decided that they don't like messianic presidents who go on crusade to spread democracy to other countries whether they want it or not.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2006, 08:18:07 AM »

Yes, he certainly was great. Locking up your political opponents for years with no trial, silencing the media through brute force, suspending Habeaus Corpus. Shall I go on?
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2006, 08:42:15 AM »

Yes, he certainly was great. Locking up your political opponents for years with no trial, silencing the media through brute force, suspending Habeaus Corpus. Shall I go on?

Then again there is the Espionage Act.

For that reason I would never vote for Wilson.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2006, 01:07:05 AM »

1860s America was a rough place. Frontier justice still prevailed in many locations. John Wilkes Booth was not the first to attempt to assassinate Lincoln. The Union and the Confederacy both lost men in staggering numbers. And Jeff Davis also  suspended Habeas Corpus and imposed martial law.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2006, 08:51:09 PM »

And this brings me to my recent conclusion.  I used to have Wilson and Lincoln tied as second worst president.  But, Wilson did plenty of horrible and unconstitutional things that became long-term such as passing the Federal Reserve Act.
Lincoln did have many unconstitutional acts, but habeus corpus suspension happened when congress was not in session and the recess gave Lincoln Article I powers to do such a thing.  Not that Lincoln was my any means a good president in my book, but Wilson was worse.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2006, 09:44:44 PM »

Lincoln's actions could be justified as the circumstances were a Civil war where the war zone was within a few hundred of miles of many major American cities. This is somewhat different to Wilson (and to Bush for that matter)

In saying all I've said, Wilson's first term was one of the best by any sitting president. And his presidency was noted for progressive legislation, more Anti-Trust laws (though I'm always dubious of many Anti-Trusts as alot of them tend to hurt small business more than big corporations.), women's suffrage and establishment of the federal reserve (Which Is Clearly more desirable than having JP Morgan finance the US treasury), he also vetoed the Volstead Act.

While Lincoln's program was traditional pro-big goverment pro-business growth and somewhat mercantilist, in the tradition of Henry Clay and the Whig Party. Which is against everything I believe.

So, on balance I'd say Wilson was the lesser of two evils.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2006, 12:02:33 AM »

Lincoln's actions could be justified as the circumstances were a Civil war where the war zone was within a few hundred of miles of many major American cities. This is somewhat different to Wilson (and to Bush for that matter)

In saying all I've said, Wilson's first term was one of the best by any sitting president. And his presidency was noted for ... women's suffrage.

Saying Wilson was responsible for women's suffrage is like saying Pope Leo X was responsible for the Protestant Reformation.  It may have happened under his watch, but he certainly wasn't in favor of it.  However, unlike Leo it didn't directly affect him, so he was able bend to the political reality.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2006, 12:13:29 PM »

Hmm, kind of sounds like Bush. I guess it must be a Republican tradition. Smiley

In all seriousness though, desperate times do call for desperate measures (as current supporters of such actions of course also argue). I think it's important to keep the focus on the rightness or wrongness of the overall cause and the implications of what defeat and failure would mean before assessing the rightness or wrongness of specific actions taken to achieve the goal. Obviously those who opposed Lincoln's overall goal are going to find tremendous fault with the actions taken (and rightfully so in some circumstances).
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2006, 04:05:52 PM »

Lincoln, barely.

For people who understand what habeas corpus means, there is a big difference between Hamdan and Ex parte Milligan.  I suggest someone actually read the two cases.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies