Why aren't there Asian ethnoburbs in America?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 14, 2024, 07:41:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Why aren't there Asian ethnoburbs in America?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Why aren't there Asian ethnoburbs in America?  (Read 2619 times)
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 05, 2022, 01:38:22 AM »

Like in Canada, Brampton and Surrey are Indian ethnoburbs and Markham and Richmond are Chinese ethnoburbs and many other suburbs in Canada have a large indian population and the Asian population in America is only a third of the Asian population in Canada.

Why aren't there any Asian ethnoburbs in America or places with a reputation of having a large Asian population?
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2022, 02:08:14 AM »

Like in Canada, Brampton and Surrey are Indian ethnoburbs and Markham and Richmond are Chinese ethnoburbs and many other suburbs in Canada have a large indian population and the Asian population in America is only a third of the Asian population in Canada.

Why aren't there any Asian ethnoburbs in America or places with a reputation of having a large Asian population?

There literally are lol.

The NJ part of the NYC metro area, for instance.

And, as we all should know, my native Bay Area. Most particularly my native Alameda County, and also Santa Clara County. There is an entire majority-Asian district (the 17th) in the area and places like Fremont (where I reside) have very high Asian populations. Fremont (no small place - 230,000 people live here) is 50.6% Asian. Indians are also the largest Asian group here (Smiley !!), at 18.1% of the entire population, followed closely by Chinese-Americans (17.8%).

So yeah, there are absolutely Asian-American/Indian-American areas in the US.

EDIT: Also this thread should be in PG&D.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2022, 02:12:47 AM »

Daly City comes to mind as being 54% Asian and a suburb of San Francisco.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2022, 02:14:51 AM »

There literally are lol. Neighbourhoods in NYC and the NJ part of the NYC metro area.

And, as all know, my native Bay Area. Most particularly my native Alameda County, and also Santa Clara County. There is an entire majority-Asian district (the 17th) in the area and places like Fremont (where I reside) have very high Asian populations. Fremont (no small place - 230,000 people live here) is 50.6% Asian. Indians are also the largest Asian group here (Smiley !!), at 18.1% of the entire population, followed closely by Chinese-Americans (17.8%).

So yeah, there are absolutely Asian-American/Indian-American areas in the US.
Fair enough and I was thinking of the Bay Area but they don't have a reputation of being "asian". Like Brampton has a reputation of being filled with Punjabi Sikhs and is known as "Browntown" whereas people who aren't from places like the Bay Area or Edison or other Asian ethnoburbs probably aren't aware of how Asian they are if they were thinking of these places for some reason. I probably am a bit nitpicky.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2022, 03:53:31 AM »

Palisades Park is what you're looking for. Edison is basically synonymous with Indians, but it's not quite the level of a Richmond or Brampton.

There are probably multiple cities in the LA area that are almost Richmond-levels of Chinese, too.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2022, 06:26:52 AM »

Annandale and Centreville are for Koreans in NOVA. And there are a bunch of Indian ones in Loudon.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2022, 07:18:38 AM »

1.) These definitely exist in the US, as all the posters above have pointed out
2.) To the extent they are more present in Canada, it’s probably just because the Asian population of Canada is about triple that of the US (as a % of population)
Asta

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2022, 09:38:31 AM »
« Edited: June 05, 2022, 09:43:27 AM by Asta »

In California, there are way too many to even mention. (Sunnyvale, Cerritos, Arcadia, Monterey Park, Daly City, Walnut, San Francisco, San Jose etc.)

Flushing, Queens is roughly 70% Asian, with overwhelming majority of them being Chinese.

Southern part of Richmond Hill, NY has significant Indian population.

Palisades Park, NJ is about 50-60% Korean. There are few other cities right nearby that exceeds 30% of Asian population.

Honolulu has tons of Asians, as well as part-Asians, particularly Japanese and Filipinos. If you count mixed races, tons of cities in Hawaii probably exceeds 50% of people that claim Asian heritage.
kwabbit

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2022, 10:39:07 AM »

On a more granular level there are. Certain developments in my central NJ town are overwhelmingly Indian, even if the town as a whole is 25% or so. Near the developments there are Indian temples, grocery stores, etc., so it functions as it’s own Indian village.
Podgy the Bear
mollybecky

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2022, 11:53:01 AM »

Add Johns Creek and Duluth, GA to the mix.  Sizable South and East Asian communities rapidly coming here—and changing the political dynamics significantly.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2022, 12:42:58 PM »
« Edited: June 05, 2022, 12:50:57 PM by Santander »

Guys, Ishan is not talking about places with lots of Asians. Otherwise we could just declare Hawaii Asia and call it a day. He is talking about places that are dominated by one specific Asian group. (e.g. Punjabi Sikhs in Brampton, Hong Kong Chinese in Richmond)
pikachu
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2022, 12:56:55 PM »

It’s interesting the question’s being asked in the first place because the classic example of the Asian ethnoburb in North America is the San Gabriel Valley/626 and is actually the area which led to the creation of the term. Within California, it’s pretty well known that Asian ethnoburbs are a thing and places like Westminster, the SGV and Fremont have a connotation  but for whatever reason, there’s a perception outside the state that LA and especially the Bay Area are a lot whiter than they actually are.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2022, 01:02:39 PM »
« Edited: June 05, 2022, 01:06:52 PM by Roll Roons »

Guys, Ishan is not talking about places with lots of Asians. Otherwise we could just declare Hawaii Asia and call it a day. He is talking about places that are dominated by one specific Asian group. (e.g. Punjabi Sikhs in Brampton, Hong Kong Chinese in Richmond)

For NJ, I still think Palisades Park fits the definition. Arguably Iselin/Edison/Plainsboro as well. Westminster, CA is another. In each of these towns, one particular ethnic Asian group makes up the plurality of the population.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2022, 02:09:57 PM »

For NJ, I still think Palisades Park fits the definition. Arguably Iselin/Edison/Plainsboro as well. Westminster, CA is another. In each of these towns, one particular ethnic Asian group makes up the plurality of the population.

Yeah there are several obvious candidates in California and New Jersey; I think there's an emerging Chinese node too in Long Island.

Tbh there are even ones in the South; Morrisville, NC is about as Asian as Brampton and is also mostly Indian (though I don't think it's very homogeneous within its Indian community.)
Kamala's side hoe
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2022, 06:52:38 PM »

Most of the examples given in this thread are dominated by one particular Asian group.

Daly City (San Mateo County, CA)- 55.6% Asian and 33.2% Filipino in 2010. Statistical Atlas numbers are similar

Cupertino (Santa Clara County, CA)- 27% ethnic Chinese, 28% South Asian according to Statistical Atlas. [This is lower than I would've expected tbh]

Edison Township (Middlesex County, NJ)- 34% Indian (the vast majority of whom are probably Gujarati). I once saw a Facebook page called "Gujaratis of Middlesex County" or something like that
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2022, 06:57:12 PM »

Most of the examples given in this thread are dominated by one particular Asian group.

Daly City (San Mateo County, CA)- 55.6% Asian and 33.2% Filipino in 2010. Statistical Atlas numbers are similar

Cupertino (Santa Clara County, CA)- 27% ethnic Chinese, 28% South Asian according to Statistical Atlas. [This is lower than I would've expected tbh]

Edison Township (Middlesex County, NJ)- 34% Indian (the vast majority of whom are probably Gujarati). I once saw a Facebook page called "Gujaratis of Middlesex County" or something like that

Richmond is over 50% Chinese. Different level.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2022, 08:14:52 PM »

Richmond is over 50% Chinese. Different level.

Also true for Arcadia and San Marino in the San Gabriel Valley.

Sure. A few cities in the San Gabriel Valley and Palisades Park are probably the only ones up to that ethnic standard in the US, which is why I mentioned them. Cupertino and Daly City are far too diverse to qualify.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2022, 08:26:26 PM »
« Edited: June 05, 2022, 08:29:40 PM by Badger »

Maybe I missed it in this thread, but let's not forget some predominant or even majority Vietnamese American communities embarrass municipalities in Orange County California
Kamala's side hoe
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2022, 08:42:24 PM »

Maybe I missed it in this thread, but let's not forget some predominant or even majority Vietnamese American communities embarrass municipalities in Orange County California

The municipal boundaries intersect with local racial/ethnic demographics in such a way that none of the cities in the area are more than 40% or so Vietnamese.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2022, 09:06:46 PM »

How much of the overall Asian population in Orange County is Vietnamese?
Real Texan Politics
EEllis02
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -1.57

P P P
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2022, 02:26:24 PM »

Sugar Land, Texas could come to mind.
cvparty
United States

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2022, 04:17:13 PM »

does little saigon just not exist
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2022, 11:45:21 PM »

Bethany, Oregon is close to majority Asian with an especially big Indian community. It’s not even the only Asian majority neighborhood in the Portland metro.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2022, 12:48:04 PM »

I'm assuming "Richmond" is Richmond Hill, north of Toronto? I haven't heard of Richmond before...
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2022, 01:24:44 PM »

I'm assuming "Richmond" is Richmond Hill, north of Toronto? I haven't heard of Richmond before...

He means Richmond, BC.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies