Democrat-led group buys out 18 Spanish-language radio stations
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 12:32:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Democrat-led group buys out 18 Spanish-language radio stations
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Democrat-led group buys out 18 Spanish-language radio stations  (Read 739 times)
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 04, 2022, 12:31:21 AM »
« edited: June 04, 2022, 01:02:00 AM by Josh Shapiro for Governor »

Could be very good news for Democrats... and yes, the group technically is bipartisan, but the leadership is largely Democratic and the main Republican at the helm is married to Ana Navarro.

Univision is selling many of its Spanish-language radio stations — including Miami's ultraconservative Radio Mambí — to a group led by Democrats.

Creating a beachhead in a broadcast market often dominated by conservative, sometimes right-wing programming, a newly formed, Latino-owned and bipartisan media group will announce Friday it's purchasing 18 major Spanish-language radio stations owned by the TelevisaUnivision network — including Miami's Radio Mambí.

WLRN has learned that the Latino Media Network, or LMN — headed by Stephanie Valencia, a Latino outreach director for former President Barack Obama, and Democratic activist Jessica Morales Rocketto — has bought the stations for $60 million. The media startup has launched after raising an initial $80 million.

Other prominent LMN investors and advisers include Hollywood actress Eva Longoria, former Florida Republican Party chair Al Cárdenas, former Miami-Dade College President Eduardo Padrón and radio entrepreneur Tom Castro.

The group said the radio stations they plan to purchase will reach one-third of Latinos in the U.S., about 20 million people

https://www.wlrn.org/news/2022-06-03/a-new-latino-media-group-is-buying-up-and-shaking-up-spanish-language-radio
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2022, 12:44:10 AM »

Maybe it'll make a difference, but it's a bit late in the game for this strategy.

Now if somebody wants to buy WhatsApp, that's a different story...
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2022, 12:50:56 AM »
« Edited: June 04, 2022, 01:08:23 AM by Josh Shapiro for Governor »

Maybe it'll make a difference, but it's a bit late in the game for this strategy.

Probably too late to help them in the midterms, but this move could definitely benefit the Democrats in the long term.

Apparently, Radio Mambi is very influential amongst cubans in Miami.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2022, 01:23:38 AM »

Probably too late to help them in the midterms, but this move could definitely benefit the Democrats in the long term.

Maybe, but at this point and combined with today's polarization, I'm not convinced the types of people overall who still listen to radio are the least bit persuadable after having right-wing radio loudspeakers blasted at them for the past 25 years. This is arguably the one area of media where conservatives have had an uninterrupted dominance for a long, long time. I'm more convinced hardliners will just tune it out (relatively at least - or in some cases, literally; see: people who abandoned Fox for OANN/Newsmax for barely and temporarily moderating).
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2022, 04:05:47 AM »

Nobody is persuaded by radio anymore. Dems are late to the game as always.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2022, 05:53:32 AM »

Radio seems like something people are pretty commonly exposed to, so I'd assume that people are bound to absorb some of the messaging they get on it and the issues that the station chooses to talk about.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2022, 11:43:12 AM »

We're gonna win IL, NJ, NV, CO, NM, AZ and NV, Latinx, but FL and TX have a Cuban Embargo and sympathetic Cuban voters towards the Rs like Ted Cruz and Rubio that's why Castro bros never run they have the polarized Castro name

Deming's is down by six due to Rubio, but Ryan and Beasley are down by 1.5 pts

But, there are sympathetic Muslim voters in MI, WI, Pa, OH and GA that D's appeal to
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2022, 03:45:49 PM »

Outside of being irrelevant, I expect whoever bought this to bungle the stations up and make them irrelevant.
EastwoodS

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2022, 01:05:03 AM »

Nah they are still shifting to our side.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2022, 01:47:13 AM »

Great job. Ideally Democrats should control more messaging, since while they are sh**t the GOP is objectively much worse.
THG
TheTarHeelGent
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2022, 01:59:20 AM »
« Edited: June 06, 2022, 02:08:28 AM by THG »

My first impression? Well, it’s not like Univision, whom these people bought these stations from, are known to be right wing (at all) in any capacity. Them and Telemundo have historically been pretty liberal.

But people need to understand that this will result in the conservative radio viewership switching stations (You think Miami Cubans will tolerate it when the new owners use the term “Latinx” or praise Biden for being soft on Cuba and Maduro?).

If you don’t believe me, look at how well Univision America (a similar project) panned out a few years ago.
THG
TheTarHeelGent
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2022, 02:03:01 AM »
« Edited: June 06, 2022, 02:12:19 AM by THG »

Maybe, but at this point and combined with today's polarization, I'm not convinced the types of people overall who still listen to radio are the least bit persuadable after having right-wing radio loudspeakers blasted at them for the past 25 years. This is arguably the one area of media where conservatives have had an uninterrupted dominance for a long, long time. I'm more convinced hardliners will just tune it out (relatively at least - or in some cases, literally; see: people who abandoned Fox for OANN/Newsmax for barely and temporarily moderating).

If the new ownership tries to make Radio Mambi shift left or soften their stances on the Cuban embargo or something, it’ll end up causing a severe backlash among very conservative Cubans in Miami. Supply and demand.

This isn’t me being a partisan or biased; I know people from the area who really know it well. They tell me that this is not going to pan out as well as Dems hope.

Nah they are still shifting to our side.

Yeah, this is a (panic?) buy to counter the GOP’s gains with Latinos. I think it is specifically to counter Americano TV, which is a new center-right news network based in Miami.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2022, 02:04:03 AM »

Talk radio listeners are typically among the dumbest, angriest people in the country. If they're tuned into this dreck then there's a 100% chance their brains are already fried and nothing will save them short of a family intervention to take away their access to the cancer-inducing brain rot that is talk radio.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2022, 09:01:12 AM »

I think people here are underestimating how many normies, especially older people, still listen to the radio.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2022, 09:32:52 PM »

I feel like the reaction to this move on this forum would be very different if the sides were switched around, if it was the GOP buying up these stations instead of Democrats.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2022, 05:26:14 PM »

I feel like the reaction to this move on this forum would be very different if the sides were switched around, if it was the GOP buying up these stations instead of Democrats.

Yeah, I'm not sure how partisan purchases of broadcasting companies (or WhatsApp, as Griffin mentioned) are something that should be looked at with anything other than concern or disdain.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2022, 05:36:53 PM »

I think people here are underestimating how many normies, especially older people, still listen to the radio.

Particularly, from what I've heard, Latinos and spanish-language radio.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies