Opinion of this Michigan map on a purely community of interest basis?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 07:39:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Opinion of this Michigan map on a purely community of interest basis?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Opinion of this Michigan map on a purely community of interest basis?  (Read 265 times)
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -0.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 29, 2022, 05:42:16 PM »

Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2022, 04:11:35 PM »
« Edited: May 31, 2022, 05:07:28 PM by CentristRepublican »

Mixed.

The seat in South-Southwest MI could be better drawn. Lansing is drawn into a district in a kind of bad way. And Lisa McClain's district in the Thumb is right as it is; you changed it for the worse. Dividing the Thumb isn't a good idea from a COI basis; I might be wrong but I think the IRL 10th (renumbered the 9th in redistricting) is good as it is. You handle Grand Rapids well though (I appreciate keeping all of Kent County in one district). I think the Detroit area is drawn well, though I don't know a whole lot abut the area and could be wrong. If nothing else, it's compact and avoids county splits
The Undefeatable Debbie Stabenow
slightlyburnttoast
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -5.43

P P
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2022, 05:02:28 PM »

Not bad, but all in all I think that the adopted map is superior. Grouping Flint with the Tri-Cities (Bay City, Saginaw, and Midland) is very much ideal, and their four respective counties add up to a nearly perfect district population, so having them comprise a district (as they do now) is pretty intuitive. (Part of the motivation for that is that it creates a competitive district, and the commission was expressly instructed to consider political proportionality, but I understand that you're asking solely about COIs.) It also makes more sense to group Washtenaw with Eastern metro Detroit than with Livingston, but I'm less passionate about that cause. Same with how the adopted map deals with the "thumb" region vs. how yours does.

Something that I don't love about both your map and the adopted map is the separation of Berrien, Cass, and Van Buren counties. I watched a good chunk of the redistricting commission's hearing in the southwest region and that was by far the #1 priority of local government officials and residents, and it's not that hard to make it happen. (The awkwardness of MI-05 is really my only complaint about the map that the commission approved.)

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies