Who’s church is closer to following “true” Christianity: BRTD’s, or ER’s? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 04:03:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Who’s church is closer to following “true” Christianity: BRTD’s, or ER’s? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
BRTD
ER
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Who’s church is closer to following “true” Christianity: BRTD’s, or ER’s?  (Read 3178 times)
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« on: May 28, 2022, 02:02:19 AM »

Say what you will about ER, but his brand of scripture is more theologically sound than the adult D&D club that BRTD attends every Sunday.

It’s incoherent to be atheist and claim one or the other sect of Christianity is more or less theologically sound.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2022, 12:40:47 PM »

Say what you will about ER, but his brand of scripture is more theologically sound than the adult D&D club that BRTD attends every Sunday.

It’s incoherent to be atheist and claim one or the other sect of Christianity is more or less theologically sound.

Why?

Because there isn't a valid theological standard to measure them by.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2022, 08:10:52 PM »
« Edited: May 28, 2022, 08:33:47 PM by Statilius the Epicurean »

Why?

Because there isn't a valid theological standard to measure them by.

There's internal coherence. It doesn't strike me as any different from claiming that there are more or less sound interpretations of a novel.

Not sure they're equivalent. I think theological claims are more serious philosophical truth claims than interpretations of novels, which are, yes, basically headcanon. Not to get all death of the author.

Yeah, pretty much what Nathan said. I would have compared it to interpreting the law-- whether or not you agree with a particular statute, you can still objectively assess whether certain actions or procedures conform to that statute.

I mean again the law is a social convention. Whether same-sex sexual relations are a sin or not is to Christians a truth claim about material reality.

I could easily say that I think ER's Christianity is on that score more faithful than BRTD's to my 'literary' interpretation of Christianity. This is what Paul said, what most churches said until the 20th century etc.. But I don't see how I could make that a theological claim, because I don't know how I would falsify BRTD's theological justification on the plane of theology, something I don't believe is a valid path to knowledge.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2022, 10:40:20 AM »
« Edited: May 31, 2022, 10:56:01 AM by Statilius the Epicurean »

Studying "theology" doesn't necessitate any religious belief.

No, but making positive doctrinal statements does.

If one studies a religious text or tradition, one is engaging in a form of "theology."

Or history, or philosophy, or literary study. The point is it's difficult to see how those can adjudicate competing theological claims.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2022, 06:00:56 PM »

It's really less that Japan is Buddhist and more that Japan is Japan. Plenty of Buddhist countries have public consensuses very hostile, at least on paper, to both abortion and alcohol use, since in traditional Buddhist ethics both are clearly karmically negative acts (which isn't necessary the same thing as being "a sin" in the Christian sense).

I wonder if this is a divide in Theravada and Mahayana Buddhist attitudes, because I know in the Pali Canon there are many strict prohibitions on things like games of chance but don't know if they have equivalents in the Chinese texts.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies