Who’s church is closer to following “true” Christianity: BRTD’s, or ER’s?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 02:27:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Who’s church is closer to following “true” Christianity: BRTD’s, or ER’s?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: ?
BRTD
ER
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Who’s church is closer to following “true” Christianity: BRTD’s, or ER’s?  (Read 3159 times)
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 25, 2022, 06:23:18 PM »

What do you think?
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2022, 06:36:50 PM »

ER
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2022, 11:26:21 PM »

Say what you will about ER, but his brand of scripture is more theologically sound than the adult D&D club that BRTD attends every Sunday.
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2022, 12:03:42 AM »

Who’s ER?
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2022, 03:48:22 AM »

As a Christian part of a Church which is rather different from both BRTD's and ER's (and which both of them feel overly antagonistic about) all I can say is: lol.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2022, 06:03:20 AM »

ExtremeRepublican
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2022, 07:33:44 AM »

What kind of question is this? Culturally, "true" Christianity would have an Eastern Mediterranean feel. Which of their churches has olives and hummus in the undercroft?
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2022, 08:33:04 AM »

Both of them are way too low-church to be the True faith

/s
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2022, 06:47:59 PM »

For what it's worth, I believe that what the Bible says is perfectly True and that any human ideology or worldview will fall short.  There have been plenty of times where I've voiced discomfort or disagreement with a GOP position, focus, or direction based on my faith.  I hate that my username is ExtremeRepublican, because I think it clouds that belief a bit.  And, I'll note that I wasn't truly a Christian in 2015 when I registered here under that name.

And, there absolutely are cases of churches that idolize politics and let their party morph into their religion.  I've talked candidly here about a church not that far from me called Global Vision (Pastor Greg Locke) that is a MAGA rally disguised as a church.  That's not to say that the Church should totally withdraw from politics either.  But, when we engage, the direction of that engagement has to be letting our faith flow to politics, not the other way around.
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2022, 07:26:21 AM »

For what it's worth, I believe that what the Bible says is perfectly True and that any human ideology or worldview will fall short.  There have been plenty of times where I've voiced discomfort or disagreement with a GOP position, focus, or direction based on my faith.  I hate that my username is ExtremeRepublican, because I think it clouds that belief a bit.  And, I'll note that I wasn't truly a Christian in 2015 when I registered here under that name.

And, there absolutely are cases of churches that idolize politics and let their party morph into their religion.  I've talked candidly here about a church not that far from me called Global Vision (Pastor Greg Locke) that is a MAGA rally disguised as a church.  That's not to say that the Church should totally withdraw from politics either.  But, when we engage, the direction of that engagement has to be letting our faith flow to politics, not the other way around.

How can the Bible be “perfectly True” when it frequently contradicts itself (as is to be perfectly naturally expected of a text compiled over 1500 years by many different authors)? My understanding is very much that, unlike, say, Islam, which holds that the Quran is the direct word of God, most Christians do not believe that the Bible was literally dictated to its human authors word-for-word by God; rather, it is merely divinely-inspired, and thus is liable to human error.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2022, 12:38:49 PM »

There seems to be a strange viewpoint here that conservatism is by default always closer to "true" Christianity.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2022, 04:09:40 PM »

There seems to be a strange viewpoint here that conservatism is by default always closer to "true" Christianity.
True Christianity is based off teachings from 2,000 years ago, so yes, it is conservative.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2022, 06:03:38 PM »

True Christianity is based off teachings from 2,000 years ago, so yes, it is conservative.
Karl Marx's writings are almost 180 years old. Conservative?
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2022, 01:10:30 AM »

What kind of question is this? Culturally, "true" Christianity would have an Eastern Mediterranean feel. Which of their churches has olives and hummus in the undercroft?

BRTD's seems likelier to, because olives (at least decent olives) and hummus both strike me as, unfortunately, "Whole Foods America" foods.

I assume there are people at BRTD's church, as at most left-leaning Evangelical churches, who have conservative beliefs about personal morality and just don't vote based on them ("like me lol", as we used to say). If I'm assuming correctly then his church is closer to "true" Christianity than ER's on moral and political theology and about equidistant on sacramental theology and ecclesiology; if I'm assuming incorrectly then it's a wash on just about everything. I voted BRTD's church.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2022, 02:02:19 AM »

Say what you will about ER, but his brand of scripture is more theologically sound than the adult D&D club that BRTD attends every Sunday.

It’s incoherent to be atheist and claim one or the other sect of Christianity is more or less theologically sound.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2022, 02:03:29 AM »

Certainly are in some parts of the world.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2022, 07:34:42 AM »

It’s incoherent to be atheist and claim one or the other sect of Christianity is more or less theologically sound.

Why?
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2022, 11:22:45 AM »

Small "c" conservative, not American libertarian/MAGA style Conservative.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2022, 12:40:47 PM »

Why?

Because there isn't a valid theological standard to measure them by.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2022, 02:52:46 PM »

Why?

There's internal coherence. It doesn't strike me as any different from claiming that there are more or less sound interpretations of a novel.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2022, 05:49:26 PM »

Yeah, pretty much what Nathan said. I would have compared it to interpreting the law-- whether or not you agree with a particular statute, you can still objectively assess whether certain actions or procedures conform to that statute.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2022, 07:34:26 PM »

Karl Marx had unsavory views of unemployed people that are immensely classicist and was conservative relatively to relationships between the sexes and social rights to LGBT people. He also did not talk about racism all that much which to other theorists became very important.

I’ve spoken against egregious attacks on his character before from these angles, but he was not some perfect individual for whom is the end all be all, he had issues and was a guy with many smart ideas.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2022, 07:59:56 PM »

Do you think your Christian faith has made you more or less of an "extreme Republican" than when you first joined here?
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2022, 08:10:52 PM »
« Edited: May 28, 2022, 08:33:47 PM by Statilius the Epicurean »

Why?

There's internal coherence. It doesn't strike me as any different from claiming that there are more or less sound interpretations of a novel.

Not sure they're equivalent. I think theological claims are more serious philosophical truth claims than interpretations of novels, which are, yes, basically headcanon. Not to get all death of the author.

Yeah, pretty much what Nathan said. I would have compared it to interpreting the law-- whether or not you agree with a particular statute, you can still objectively assess whether certain actions or procedures conform to that statute.

I mean again the law is a social convention. Whether same-sex sexual relations are a sin or not is to Christians a truth claim about material reality.

I could easily say that I think ER's Christianity is on that score more faithful than BRTD's to my 'literary' interpretation of Christianity. This is what Paul said, what most churches said until the 20th century etc.. But I don't see how I could make that a theological claim, because I don't know how I would falsify BRTD's theological justification on the plane of theology, something I don't believe is a valid path to knowledge.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2022, 10:26:19 PM »

Karl Marx had unsavory views of unemployed people that are immensely classicist and was conservative relatively to relationships between the sexes and social rights to LGBT people. He also did not talk about racism all that much which to other theorists became very important.

I’ve spoken against egregious attacks on his character before from these angles, but he was not some perfect individual for whom is the end all be all, he had issues and was a guy with many smart ideas.

You have a BS Bob-esque tendency to think of "conservative" as indicating a specific set of political stances across time periods and cultures, rather than as a set of attitudes and social emotions that people can take towards a variety of historical conditions and processes. This has led you on several occasions to what strike me as unhelpful and unnecessary misunderstandings of how other posters are using the word.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies