Unofficial belts in states/America
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 04:59:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Unofficial belts in states/America
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Unofficial belts in states/America  (Read 819 times)
thebeloitmoderate
Mexico

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 24, 2022, 01:02:52 PM »

In North Carolina going southeast from Charlotte, south of the Triangle, around the SC Stateline, and ending near Wilmington, I-74 meets this definition, the towns/small cities of Lumberton, Maxton, Pembroke, and Laurinburg meets this criteria. It is called the "Rot Belt" as all of these towns/small cities have lost population in the 2020 census, and farming used to be the major industry in these towns. The only significant cities by these areas is Florence, SC, or Fayetteville, NC as Wilmington is about 80-100 miles from most of the places in this belt. I-95, US/I-74 is the only major interstates/freeways in that area
Another unofficial belt in America that I could talk about is the Farm Belt in Southern New Jersey. 3 counties Salem, Cumberland, and Cape May are mostly rural as you get more and more inland, you were expecting more Philly suburbia but it is similar to the Eastern Shoreline of MD/Southern Delaware than New Jersey itself. Even Essex County which is the only true rural county in the NYC Metro BTW is starting to see growth of Transplants from NYC, and the easternmost parts of this county is more exurban than rural itself, Cape May County has the Jersey shore highway, while Cumberland county does not has a major highway, only state/county roads.
Now any other unofficial belts in America?
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2022, 01:39:46 PM »

In South Carolina we call that area “the corridor of shame” and it’s where I’m from 😗
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2022, 06:37:50 AM »

In North Carolina going southeast from Charlotte, south of the Triangle, around the SC Stateline, and ending near Wilmington, I-74 meets this definition, the towns/small cities of Lumberton, Maxton, Pembroke, and Laurinburg meets this criteria. It is called the "Rot Belt" as all of these towns/small cities have lost population in the 2020 census, and farming used to be the major industry in these towns. The only significant cities by these areas is Florence, SC, or Fayetteville, NC as Wilmington is about 80-100 miles from most of the places in this belt. I-95, US/I-74 is the only major interstates/freeways in that area
Another unofficial belt in America that I could talk about is the Farm Belt in Southern New Jersey. 3 counties Salem, Cumberland, and Cape May are mostly rural as you get more and more inland, you were expecting more Philly suburbia but it is similar to the Eastern Shoreline of MD/Southern Delaware than New Jersey itself. Even Essex County which is the only true rural county in the NYC Metro BTW is starting to see growth of Transplants from NYC, and the easternmost parts of this county is more exurban than rural itself, Cape May County has the Jersey shore highway, while Cumberland county does not has a major highway, only state/county roads.
Now any other unofficial belts in America?

Essex = Sussex?
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2022, 09:47:29 PM »

The 'tech belt' from silicon valley to Seattle.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2022, 03:42:35 AM »

Missouri Lead Belt (maybe this one isn't "unofficial" to you).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southeast_Missouri_Lead_District
Kamala's side hoe
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2022, 12:49:54 PM »

The 'tech belt' from silicon valley to Seattle.

Which also extends eastward to the Wasatch Front #SiliconSlopes
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -1.04

P P
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2022, 04:31:27 PM »

The area around Albany is sometimes referred to as Tech Valley
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2022, 06:44:49 PM »

The area around Albany is sometimes referred to as Tech Valley

The whole Hudson River Valley up to the Albany metro (Albany included) is quite liberal.
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -1.04

P P
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2022, 10:32:10 PM »

Nevada, Oregon, Washington, and Alaska are sometimes referred to as the Unchurched Belt. The Jello Belt is an area in the Interior West known for its high Mormon population.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies