Would you consider this Texas map fair?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 05:38:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Would you consider this Texas map fair?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Would you consider this Texas map fair?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 10

Author Topic: Would you consider this Texas map fair?  (Read 507 times)
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -0.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 18, 2022, 11:55:19 AM »

https://davesredistricting.org/maps#viewmap::bd09beb0-453c-45ee-862b-9af78b4e555c

Why or why not?

OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2022, 01:14:50 PM »

VRA violations aside, this map doesn't seem to have any egregious overarching partisan motivations (if a slight tilt towards the GOP).
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -0.17

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2022, 01:26:16 PM »

VRA violations aside, this map doesn't seem to have any egregious overarching partisan motivations (if a slight tilt towards the GOP).

Huh? The median seat here is Trump +4.5 in a state where Trump won by 5.6 points. Biden won 19 seats out of 38.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2022, 01:42:44 PM »

It's very clean but I'd be a bit worried about VRA issues if I were you, particularly around the fajitas--34 is probably needs more Latinos from 33 and 35. 25 also needs to be much more Latino, it's certainly nonperforming as it stands. You probably need another minority influence seat in Houston.

There's also a few moves imo which seem a little underhanded, like putting Katy in with the rurals, Ft. Worth with the exurbs, and avoiding three seats based just in greater Austin.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2022, 01:43:43 PM »

Huh? The median seat here is Trump +4.5 in a state where Trump won by 5.6 points. Biden won 19 seats out of 38.
He said motivations, not partisan fairness which you yourself said is important, Id say Austin is bad and unfair.. By placing Williamson and Hays outside an Austin centric district. See Sol's map for a good Austin area.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2022, 02:37:01 PM »
« Edited: May 18, 2022, 02:54:00 PM by lfromnj »

It's very clean but I'd be a bit worried about VRA issues if I were you, particularly around the fajitas--34 is probably needs more Latinos from 33 and 35. 25 also needs to be much more Latino, it's certainly nonperforming as it stands. You probably need another minority influence seat in Houston.

There's also a few moves imo which seem a little underhanded, like putting Katy in with the rurals, Ft. Worth with the exurbs, and avoiding three seats based just in greater Austin.

Yeah this is pretty obvious to do, The Census MSA* + rural Lee County is only 100 people short of exactly 3 districts. Texas has enough rural counties where its easy to rotate them around to accommodate district nesting.  Waco and  Bell also seem somewhat connected and form a good base for a district along with some rurals.

Note the Census MSA isn't always a perfect definition of a metro area but I think in Austin's case it is.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2022, 04:00:00 PM »

50%+ HCVAP is a safe harbor under the VRA, if not necessarily under some state laws.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2022, 12:11:37 AM »

IDK about the Fort Worth-Weatherford seat. And the Hispanics in Houston got screwed, even taking into account the hideous geography.
lividnyx
Rookie
United States

P P P
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2022, 07:38:02 AM »

It's pretty good. As others noted it probably runs afoul of the VRA (though I'm guessing this court will have something to say about that). You should be able to draw one or two more Hispanic districts. DRA was able to find a comparable map that beats this one on all of their metrics. I'd also mention there are a lot of precinct splits over uninhabited & tiny strips of land, you should be able to combine ~30 of them without any consequences to other metrics, and you probably could've managed a fair few more competitive districts

Definitely better than the one drawn by the legislature, certainly better than I'd be able to
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2022, 10:36:14 AM »

VRA gets pretty butchered here (all the packing in RGV + no Latino influence seat in DFW?) so I'd say no
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies