French political discussion megathread: Yellow Vest Redux
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:30:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  French political discussion megathread: Yellow Vest Redux
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18
Author Topic: French political discussion megathread: Yellow Vest Redux  (Read 30030 times)
Deep Dixieland Senator, Muad'dib (OSR MSR)
Muaddib
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #275 on: June 30, 2023, 12:37:34 AM »

Violent riots are always the wrong approach and lead to nothing other than more innocent people or their property getting hurt. What happened is a tragedy and disgrace, but two wrongs don't make a right. Protests should always be peaceful, otherwise it's no protest.
That's not how things work in the real world

The existence of peaceful protests in history would suggest otherwise.
Deep Dixieland Senator, Muad'dib (OSR MSR)
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #276 on: June 30, 2023, 12:59:37 AM »

Violent riots are always the wrong approach and lead to nothing other than more innocent people or their property getting hurt. What happened is a tragedy and disgrace, but two wrongs don't make a right. Protests should always be peaceful, otherwise it's no protest.

i'm sure you would be the type of person who would chant: "all lives matter" during the BLM protests.

Secondly, i believe in protests, riots and revolution. If you don't than you would simply have obeyed the nazis if you were alive 80 years ago.

I at least would fight, even if that led me to being incarcerated in a concentration camp. My question to you: "what side are you on!".

It's essential to safeguard and protect a democracy.

Congratulations on winning the Godwin's Law award Wink
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #277 on: June 30, 2023, 01:10:37 AM »

Brief interjection... I do recall watching a French movie back in the mid '90s l'haine, live in an indy theater in the US which appears to be set in similar banlieues, around similar issues.

Marched in mass street demos in Paris way back in the dayz...

Seen Far-Right graffiti spray and fliers posted in Marseilles also in the mid '90s, Circle As and Hammers and Cycles over as well, and you walked through the densely populated immigrant quarters down by the old port, many different vibes, languages, food and culture, and never felt afraid.

Anyways time for NOVA Green musical interlude as we take a trip back in the time machine....

Here is the trailer, but would recommend watching the full movie on streaming.

Meanwhile MC Solaar is rocking beats, which a French-Vietnamese friend of mind introduced me to way back in the early / mid 1990s...

A few years later we got...

Obviously this was a big block buster back in the dayz...

LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #278 on: June 30, 2023, 06:25:20 AM »

The existence of peaceful protests in history would suggest otherwise.

But it's usually the non-peaceful protests that bring change.

And nowadays even that is not enough, look at Iran for instance.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #279 on: June 30, 2023, 06:26:24 AM »

Brief interjection... I do recall watching a French movie back in the mid '90s l'haine, live in an indy theater in the US which appears to be set in similar banlieues, around similar issues.

I strongly recommend that film, it's excellent.

And yes there are strong similarities here.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #280 on: June 30, 2023, 06:27:44 AM »

i'm sure you would be the type of person who would chant: "all lives matter" during the BLM protests.

Secondly, i believe in protests, riots and revolution. If you don't than you would simply have obeyed the nazis if you were alive 80 years ago.

I at least would fight, even if that led me to being incarcerated in a concentration camp. My question to you: "what side are you on!".

We're on a forum discussing politics. And yes if you believe violence is never the solution, we would live in authoritarian regimes.

You haven't taken the effort to disprove what i've said, you just mentioned "godwin's law" but that itself doesn't disprove it.

Also please stop responding in size 10 format because you make it look like you think you're above everyone else.
Agafin
Cameroon

« Reply #281 on: June 30, 2023, 07:32:41 AM »

Rioting is always bad but to riot because a criminal was unjustly killed is just bizarre. The police action was wrong but I can't blame him too much since that teenager was trying to run away from arrest. How many people have been killed by a reckless driver attempting to flee?
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #282 on: June 30, 2023, 07:34:32 AM »

Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #283 on: June 30, 2023, 08:08:20 AM »

Rioting is always bad but to riot because a criminal was unjustly killed is just bizarre. The police action was wrong but I can't blame him too much since that teenager was trying to run away from arrest. How many people have been killed by a reckless driver attempting to flee?

I disagree. The rioting is objectionable, counter-productieve, but it is not bizarre : these people have nothing else but refusenik mentality to hang on to. They and elements of the police should be stuck on an artificial island and made to play Hunger Games/Battle Royale. Violence is what stimulates these people, along with the Imam or Stormfront in the riot police case : give to to them. Instead of puzzle solving Fort Boyard should become a 21st century gladiator arena
Farmlands
Portugal

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -0.14

« Reply #284 on: June 30, 2023, 08:41:21 AM »

You're right. Sometimes we on Atlas lose touch with the common people, and forget that working-class folks love having their cars and upstart businesses torched in democratic socities, where there's just no political or media avenues to pursue changes we want to see enacted. /s

Though, I don't want to leave this comment without saying that I do think the identity of the teen played a part in why he was shot and murdered with zero need and I hope justice eventually prevails.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #285 on: June 30, 2023, 09:41:27 AM »
« Edited: June 30, 2023, 09:44:40 AM by Zinneke »

Macron is asking parents to keep their troublesome youth home, but he doesn't realize that the reason these youth are troublesome is because their parents have given up parenting a long time ago. Really France and Belgium could do with an old school Anglo-Saxon approach (before they gave up to allow parallel legal systems to interfere) to social services and strengthening this, allowing for parents to have their children taken away from them until they get their act together. Stricter more effective social services would be a useful expenditure of the taxpayer's money as opposed to handguns and special tanks for police unions to boast about.

Of course, on Atlas, we have had posters claim that parents are the ultimate right-holders in these situations : they should be allowed to ruin the lives of their children. And the basis of this was of course religious law.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #286 on: June 30, 2023, 10:04:19 AM »

You're right. Sometimes we on Atlas lose touch with the common people, and forget that working-class folks love having their cars and upstart businesses torched in democratic socities, where there's just no political or media avenues to pursue changes we want to see enacted. /s

Though, I don't want to leave this comment without saying that I do think the identity of the teen played a part in why he was shot and murdered with zero need and I hope justice eventually prevails.

As if anybody is wealthy enough to own a car or a business in the banlieue...
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #287 on: June 30, 2023, 10:14:14 AM »
« Edited: June 30, 2023, 10:38:56 AM by Zinneke »

As if anybody is wealthy enough to own a car or a business in the banlieue...

This is a profoundly ignorant comment : many lumpen class people's lives and indeed jobs (including drug dealing of course) require a car, not to mention how cars actually serve as a status symbol to many of them due to the orgy of consumerist propaganda they take in when watching the tiktok videos or their favorite rapper or football star brag about his gold plated Lambo. And many working class people in Paris live in périurbain places where without a car they would not be able to work, and I am not talking about 4-sided villa inhabitants.

The 17 year old was killed driving a car, not a scooter.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #288 on: June 30, 2023, 10:49:38 AM »

Macron is apparently blaming computer games for these events?

The 1990s called, they want their memes back.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #289 on: June 30, 2023, 12:47:41 PM »

LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #290 on: June 30, 2023, 03:05:22 PM »

Macron is apparently blaming computer games for these events?

The 1990s called, they want their memes back.

Many people have been doing gta stuff, so i can see where hes coming from

kelestian
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -2.39, S: 1.48

« Reply #291 on: June 30, 2023, 03:08:11 PM »

We're on a forum discussing politics. And yes if you believe violence is never the solution, we would live in authoritarian regimes.

You haven't taken the effort to disprove what i've said, you just mentioned "godwin's law" but that itself doesn't disprove it.

Also please stop responding in size 10 format because you make it look like you think you're above everyone else.

But France is not authoritarian state

On side note, last year there was a movie which predicted current events
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athena_(2022_film)

LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #292 on: June 30, 2023, 03:10:41 PM »

And this is why fireworks are banned

some close combat firework fighting on twitter

LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #293 on: June 30, 2023, 03:26:04 PM »

My point is that this is a subjective term.

I don't think it's a democratic one either if Macron for controversial decisions bypasses parliament.

Maybe for white people it's democratic, but it's not for non-whites. You don't have the same chances as a non-white like whites do here. (although part of that might be a geographic issue: city demographics).
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #294 on: June 30, 2023, 03:46:15 PM »

Honestly I don't see how France doesn't end up into some kind of civil war. It's clearly being divided into three camps who hate each others. It's already a banana republic given Macron passes important laws by decrees anyway but things are going to deteriorate.
France had arguably three civil wars, and it either worked out for the better immediately afterwards or set the groundwork for a better society later on.

In the Hundreds Year war, a group of French people illegally declared their own government with a usurper in charge over the rightful kings of France. They conducted illegal activity and pretty heinous acts like suppressing Jacquieres or taking integral parts of England as their own but no one questions that what they did wasn’t the best course of action.

The French Wars of religion set the stage for the moniker of equality and fraternity to be enforced in the French Revolution, of which both saw massive riots against state oppression.

France is an authoritarian state where rule of law does not exist, the vicious attacks of the state against the workers of France through authoritarian retirement policies and massive attacks against the Maghrebi population proves it, and its government only serves at best 30% of the population no matter how well you slice it and is only in power thanks to the regime of the unrepresentative FPTP. There are many important organizers on the ground seeking the removal of Macron and the continued oppression and containment of the people in and even outside of work without ownership or their labour.

These “riots”, like the revolt of 2005, will set the stage for a better France where the jackboot is removed or lay the stage for a fourth time of liberation.

An inevitability, given France's immigration policy. Perhaps they'll change course, but I doubt it.

They deserve everything that is coming to them.
Oh please, when the white working people were protesting not too long ago the same people were cracking their skulls and supporting that measure. At this point Macron barely sees the difference between a Maghrebi or a Gaul.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #295 on: June 30, 2023, 04:00:31 PM »

Riots seem to be more intense in Lyon and Marseille right now

A gun store has been looted.
Death of a Salesman
Rookie
United States

« Reply #296 on: June 30, 2023, 04:44:28 PM »

France is an authoritarian state where rule of law does not exist, the vicious attacks of the state against the workers of France through authoritarian retirement policies and massive attacks against the Maghrebi population proves it, and its government only serves at best 30% of the population no matter how well you slice it and is only in power thanks to the regime of the unrepresentative FPTP. There are many important organizers on the ground seeking the removal of Macron and the continued oppression and containment of the people in and even outside of work without ownership or their labour.

These “riots”, like the revolt of 2005, will set the stage for a better France where the jackboot is removed or lay the stage for a fourth time of liberation.

Authoritarianism is when you want to spend 10% of GDP on old age pensions instead of 15%. You socialists are ing ridiculous.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #297 on: June 30, 2023, 05:07:03 PM »

And this is why fireworks are banned

some close combat firework fighting on twitter

kelestian
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -2.39, S: 1.48

« Reply #298 on: June 30, 2023, 05:15:17 PM »

My point is that this is a subjective term.

I don't think it's a democratic one either if Macron for controversial decisions bypasses parliament.

Maybe for white people it's democratic, but it's not for non-whites. You don't have the same chances as a non-white like whites do here. (although part of that might be a geographic issue: city demographics).

Well, it is democratic by any possible measure, is considered democratic in all possible ratings etc. If it is not democracy, I don't know, what is, probably no country on Earth is.

Why though? Non-white citizens have similar rights as white (are Arabs white, btw?), there are plenty non-white politicians etc. Like, it's not Israel or Alabama
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #299 on: June 30, 2023, 05:45:43 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies