Bisexual high school teacher in hot water due to her sexual orientation
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 11:35:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Bisexual high school teacher in hot water due to her sexual orientation
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Bisexual high school teacher in hot water due to her sexual orientation  (Read 1218 times)
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 12, 2022, 09:39:13 PM »

https://www.mississippifreepress.org/23606/sharing-lgbtq-identity-a-fireable-offense-mississippi-high-school-warned-teacher

‘An Inappropriate Sexual Conversation’
Soon, though, the art teacher learned that the topic of their meeting was no longer just about one student’s disrespect; it was now about her own actions.

Parents had complained, Alford said, claiming that Bass had engaged in an “inappropriate sexual conversation with children” and defined sexual terms to a special-education student. The art teacher instantly knew what she was talking about, and recounted how she had explained the meaning of “LGBTQ,” “queer” and answered a question about her own identity.

Bass explained that student Daisy likely thought she was bisexual because she had mentioned the existence of a former girlfriend in passing while discussing a different topic in class the year before.

“They told me I had an inappropriate sexual conversation with children,” Bass wrote in her journal. “I told them the conversation was never about sex. … Kim told me that she knows I want to be inclusive, but my behavior was being interpreted as exclusive to (straight kids), and that the parents felt like I was shoving it down their throats.

“They said that I shared that artist on purpose, told the kids I was queer, and came to school the next day decked out in pride gear because I was mad my flag was stolen. I told them that I had planned on sharing that artist in advance, and it was homecoming and class color day, and I always wear my rainbow suspenders because I teach all of the classes. They told me that I should have realized the tension was high and skipped that artist and saved them for another time. I said I felt the opposite.”

Alford told Bass that “the situation was pretty severe” and that parents had accused her of violating the Mississippi Department of Education’s Educator Code of Ethics. The principal said she could not say exactly which part of the Code of Ethics the art teacher had violated, according to the journal, but that they would meet to further discuss the issue after Alford met with Alan Lumpkin, the Pearl River County School Superintendent.

She decided to resign under pressure, sadly, despite having done nothing wrong. All she did was answer some questions in passing that had nothing to do with sex, asked by high schoolers, and she got run out of town because parents were angry that someone not exclusively straight was teaching their children.

Stories like this is what we're talking about when we just don't believe Republicans who say it's all about protecting kids from "groomers" and "pedophiles" and it's all about inappropriate sexual lessons or whatever. We've seen stories like this in Florida, and we're seeing it in other states. Since Trump left office, conservatives in their rage have gone "all in" on going after gay teachers and reigniting the "LGBT = pedophile" smear in the popular consciousness.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2022, 09:51:30 PM »

She should not have resigned. She should've fought this under Bostock v. Clayton County.

Vile story of course, but alas it's a Trump >80% county so not unexpected. Just wish she had the guts to fight them especially as she has the law on her side.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2022, 10:06:52 PM »

She should not have resigned. She should've fought this under Bostock v. Clayton County.

Vile story of course, but alas it's a Trump >80% county so not unexpected. Just wish she had the guts to fight them especially as she has the law on her side.

I doubt she wanted to risk SOCTUS overturning Bostock, which they would almost certainly do.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2022, 10:22:32 PM »

I doubt she wanted to risk SOCTUS overturning Bostock, which they would almost certainly do.
They still have five justices who ruled for it.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2022, 10:24:11 PM »

Which self-respecting parent seriously thinks their high-school age kid doesn't or shouldn't know about bisexuals and LGBT+ people and 'queers'? Like, seriously?

It would be a little less insane if this was elementary schoolers we were talking about, but these are high schoolers. If they seriously don't know about bisexuals and LGBT+ people and queers already, they ought to. These people exist, like it or not, and it's good to not cocoon your teenage kids about their existance or fire teachers for explaining about them. The real travesty here is if you have high school kids who don't know what 'bisexual' means, not having a bisexual teacher who discusses her orientation.

Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2022, 10:40:18 PM »

Which self-respecting parent seriously thinks their high-school age kid doesn't or shouldn't know about bisexuals and LGBT+ people and 'queers'? Like, seriously?

It would be a little less insane if this was elementary schoolers we were talking about, but these are high schoolers. If they seriously don't know about bisexuals and LGBT+ people and queers already, they ought to. These people exist, like it or not, and it's good to not cocoon your teenage kids about their existance or fire teachers for explaining about them. The real travesty here is if you have high school kids who don't know what 'bisexual' means, not having a bisexual teacher who discusses her orientation.

I won't let Republicans get away with this BS if they try to do it in my local areas. Sure, I hate Biden, but that doesn't mean I'm going to allow you to censor speech that you don't like. It's high school, man, they can learn that someone is LGBT. I knew some personal details about my teachers, and it made me closer and better at bonding with them.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2022, 10:43:21 PM »

I won't let Republicans get away with this BS if they try to do it in my local areas. Sure, I hate Biden, but that doesn't mean I'm going to allow you to censor speech that you don't like. It's high school, man, they can learn that someone is LGBT. I knew some personal details about my teachers, and it made me closer and better at bonding with them.

Not only CAN high schoolers learn about bisexuals/LGBTs, they SHOULD. Whether angry Karens in rural MS like it or not, bisexuals and LGBT people exist, and it's good to know that they do instead of silencing anybody who tries to talk about their sexuality. Like these are high schoolers. It's not like elementary schoolers where a semi-reasonable argument could be made against such a discussion. It's HIGH SCHOOLERS.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2022, 10:46:27 PM »

Not only CAN high schoolers learn about bisexuals/LGBTs, they SHOULD. Whether angry Karens in rural MS like it or not, bisexuals and LGBT people exist, and it's good to know that they do instead of silencing anybody who tries to talk about their sexuality. Like these are high schoolers. It's not like elementary schoolers where a semi-reasonable argument could be made against such a discussion. It's HIGH SCHOOLERS.

Eh, I don't think it should be built into the curriculum really, unless it's a course related to it. It's fine if an English book talks about some LGBT things or whatever. But I don't think people necessarily need to learn about it. I just hate that teachers free speech and expression is being so suppressed by the government. They already have a ton of restrictions for what they say...
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2022, 10:48:37 PM »

Eh, I don't think it should be built into the curriculum really, unless it's a course related to it. It's fine if an English book talks about some LGBT things or whatever. But I don't think people necessarily need to learn about it. I just hate that teachers free speech and expression is being so suppressed by the government. They already have a ton of restrictions for what they say...

I don't mean "should" as in it should be a class, but it's a good thing if a bisexual teacher discusses their sexuality to their HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS. It's certainly not a bad thing to get worked up about and it's most certainly not something to fire that teacher over (I know she technically resigned but it was because of the pressure from the rural MS Karens).
Hollywood
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2022, 11:03:10 PM »
« Edited: May 12, 2022, 11:06:54 PM by Hollywood »

This is a BS ruse that doesn't fool me for a second.  I've heard this story numerous time from teachers lying about their political activism in the classroom, and there are multiple articles and lawsuits about teachers resigning due to identifying vulnerable students and bullying them into facilitating sexual conversations, as well as participating in LGBTQ clubs and activities.  A common Modus Operandi is coaching the kids into asking questions like "What's LGBTQ?" and "What community do you identify with?" as pretext to talk about gender identity, discuss their own personal sexual identity, and encourage others to join through teacher and student preference pressure.  Even the whole part about the the teacher resigning is a ploy to gain sympathy from the media by pretending they resigned due to discrimination and abuse, because they don't want their misconduct to go public during the firing process.  

This is evidenced by a January Lawsuit in California wherein a mom sued two teachers, claiming that the teachers kept their LGBTQ+ activism secret, brainwashed her young daughter and others to identify as LGTBQ, encouraged children to lie to their parents, and inflicted emotional distress.  From the article, “Ms. Caldiera and Ms. Bakari would instruct students to research a particular topic and then have follow up discussions with the student about that research,” the lawsuit explains, adding that the teachers “would introduce and push LGBT+ identities on students that the students resisted.” https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/california-mom-sues-predatory-teachers-for-brainwashing-her-daughter-into-identifying-as-transgender/

This is one of many art teachers in the last year that has been fired for constantly attempting to start sexual discussions in the classroom by having the children draw a picture expressing their own sexuality after giving a presentation of an LGBT artists, Symbols and Political Paraphernalia.  In the video below, I give you another art teacher that started sexual discussions in her classroom.   Other teachers prompted students to ask questions about sexual orientation before class in order to get around the law.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKreILNh1vo

This is very deliberate tactic that teacher have been using to push sexual conversations, and prompt students to engage in LGTBQ projects either directly or through students targeted by the teacher.  In December 2021, the LGBTQ Teacher Community held seminars on how to hold discussions on gender identity, target children for membership in a non-official LGBT Club that would not officially list members so teachers could lie about a student's whereabouts.  Additionally, "Leaked materials from the California Teacher's Association Conference (CTA) in Palm Springs have shown how teachers are attempting to subvert parents on their children's inclusion in LGBTQ+ clubs, and tactics for tracking their internet use." https://www.prophecynewswatch.com/article.cfm?recent_news_id=5097
Fuzzy Bear Loves Christian Missionaries
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2022, 11:08:56 PM »

My wife and I have told our youngest son about the subject.  That's OUR job, and we have done this in a Biblical way.  It is not the job of the school to contradict our teaching.  He's OUR son, not the state's.

People here are whining about "losing our democracy" here.  If a community does not want this subject taught in their public schools and elects School Board officials that agree with them, isn't that "democracy"?  Or is it only "democracy" when the majority votes in YOUR favorite candidate or YOUR favorite referendum? 
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2022, 11:16:06 PM »
« Edited: May 12, 2022, 11:19:42 PM by 🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸 »

I feel bad for her, but I'm not sure what was she expecting.

If a teacher in Berkeley CA put up a Gadsden flag and 2nd amendment posters and told students that their gender is just they sex they were born with, how well would that go over?

It doesn't tend to go well for public school teacher to try to be an outspoken missionary for their beliefs in a culture that isn't open to it. 

(btw she said she was "pansexual" not "bisexual", which I gather is a key part of the issue of why this became volatile.)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2022, 11:41:48 PM »

This is a great example of the dangers of "right side of history" thinking when it comes to minority rights issues. You actually do have to legally encode antidiscrimination provisions when possible, at least when it comes to secular employers and especially when it comes to public-sector employers. Relying on people "evolving" on whatever it is means that there's very little to be done about it if there's some sort of reactionary cultural spasm in the future.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2022, 11:48:37 PM »

My wife and I have told our youngest son about the subject.  That's OUR job, and we have done this in a Biblical way.  It is not the job of the school to contradict our teaching.  He's OUR son, not the state's.

People here are whining about "losing our democracy" here.  If a community does not want this subject taught in their public schools and elects School Board officials that agree with them, isn't that "democracy"?  Or is it only "democracy" when the majority votes in YOUR favorite candidate or YOUR favorite referendum? 
Democracy is not "what I support and the more its enacted the more of a democracy it is". Democracy, if I had to define it, is "the majority having control over their own affairs with less unwilling control from other players and actors from outside the community/county/country".
Too many are too drunk on self-glamorizing kool-aid to be able to tell the difference.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2022, 12:24:19 AM »
« Edited: May 14, 2022, 10:05:13 AM by YE »

My wife and I have told our youngest son about the subject.  That's OUR job, and we have done this in a Biblical way.  It is not the job of the school to contradict our teaching.  He's OUR son, not the state's.

People here are whining about "losing our democracy" here.  If a community does not want this subject taught in their public schools and elects School Board officials that agree with them, isn't that "democracy"?  Or is it only "democracy" when the majority votes in YOUR favorite candidate or YOUR favorite referendum?  

Good thing we have schools to teach your kids something other than f***ets are going to hell
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
The Pieman
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2022, 12:31:54 AM »

tbf there's no reason why she should have been having that discussion with the kids anyway

whether someone is straight, gay, lesbian or bisexual or whatever, i don't think that's an appropriate discussion for a teacher to have with her students
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2022, 12:33:08 AM »

The queers must be silent and invisible, or else Republicans in deep red areas will make us pay a heavy price for not obeying. This lady wasn't invisible or silent so she was cancelled. A lesson for the next one: don't you f__king dare stop pretending that you're straight, or you're next.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2022, 12:36:45 AM »

There's a lot of REALLY WEIRD sexual stuff in the Old Testament. I am not questioning your parenting, but me personally, I would never use that book to teach my children about that subject.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2022, 12:51:41 AM »
« Edited: May 13, 2022, 12:58:44 AM by CentristRepublican »

My wife and I have told our youngest son about the subject.  That's OUR job, and we have done this in a Biblical way.  It is not the job of the school to contradict our teaching.  He's OUR son, not the state's.

People here are whining about "losing our democracy" here.  If a community does not want this subject taught in their public schools and elects School Board officials that agree with them, isn't that "democracy"?  Or is it only "democracy" when the majority votes in YOUR favorite candidate or YOUR favorite referendum?  

Please stop strawmanning. Since you obviously did not read some of the posts before posting (or are deliberately employing a strawman), I'm going to repost a revelant post:

I don't mean "should" as in it should be a class, but it's a good thing if a bisexual teacher discusses their sexuality to their HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS. It's certainly not a bad thing to get worked up about and it's most certainly not something to fire that teacher over (I know she technically resigned but it was because of the pressure from the rural MS Karens).

I said that children should know about LGBT+ people, like it or not, they exist. Shielding kids from that is a bad thing. Especially for high schoolers, some knowledge/understanding of LGBT people, including bisexuals, is a good, not a bad thing. When I said this, DTC misunderstood what I said and said he was iffy about it being actually taught in schools. As a matter of fact, he had misunderstood as that is not what I meant and I'm not advocating teaching about LGBTs in schools formally. I said as much in my post had you bothered to read it. Your post is about it being taught in public schools - I don't know about that. I said teachers should be most certainly allowed to, and perhaps should, discuss their sexuality/orientation to high school students casually. I specifically explained to DTC I was not talking about an actual literal course or formal teaching of LGBT culture or whatever you imagine I said - I said, though, that teachers talking about being LGBT and about their orientations and sexuality to their high schoolers should certainly not be discouraged and most certainly should not result in teachers being forced out of employment by entitled homophobic parents. While it's valid to argue that schools should not have a course teaching about LGBT culture and sexuality, it's not what I at least was arguing. On the other hand, if what you're arguing against is teachers mentioning they're bisexual to their HIGH SCHOOL students, then yes, I vehemently disagree, since that is anti-LGBT, bigoted and backwards. Teachers telling 16- and 17-year-old students that they're bisexual is not the state teaching your kids about LGBTs. Either you're saying that it is - in which case, again, I strongly disagree that teachers shouldn't be allowed to tell high school students about their being bisexual - or you're strawmanning, or you simply didn't bother to scroll further and read the clarifying post (I've quoted it in this post for you to reference and hopefully read before replying).
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2022, 12:56:33 AM »

There's a lot of REALLY WEIRD sexual stuff in the Old Testament. I am not questioning your parenting, but me personally, I would never use that book to teach my children about that subject.

Teaching about sexuality "in a Biblical way" is just about the worst form of parenting out there.

Across numerous studies, religiosity has been found to protect against suicide attempts and death by suicide (Lawrence, Oquendo, & Stanley, 2016). Research suggests that religion may reduce suicidality by providing a supportive community, influencing beliefs about suicide, and instilling hope. However, religious institutions in the U.S. are not always supportive of LGBTQ identities. Existing research on the association of an LGBTQ individuals’ religiosity with suicidality has not found a protective effect (Barnes & Meyer, 2012; Harris, Cook, & Kashubeck-West, 2008). Further, one study of  LGBTQ young adults ages 18–24 found that parents’ religious beliefs about homosexuality were associated with double the risk of attempting suicide in the past year (Gibbs & Goldbach, 2015). Overall, past research has been limited in the inclusion of transgender individuals and has focused primarily on adults. This brief examines how religiosity and parents’ religious beliefs about being LGBTQ are related to suicidality and sharing of identity among LGBTQ youth ages 13 to 24.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2022, 01:01:32 AM »

The queers must be silent and invisible, or else Republicans in deep red areas will make us pay a heavy price for not obeying. This lady wasn't invisible or silent so she was cancelled. A lesson for the next one: don't you f__king dare stop pretending that you're straight, or you're next.

Seriously. I'm sure if the teacher discussed her relationships with men and avoided mentioning being bisexual, this would be a northingburger with little to no backlash and she'd still have her job for sure. It's as simple as the rural MS Karens being bigoted and anti-LGBT.
The Undefeatable Debbie Stabenow
slightlyburnttoast
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -5.43

P P
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2022, 01:01:34 AM »
« Edited: May 13, 2022, 01:07:05 AM by The Undefeatable Debbie Stabenow »

tbf there's no reason why she should have been having that discussion with the kids anyway

whether someone is straight, gay, lesbian or bisexual or whatever, i don't think that's an appropriate discussion for a teacher to have with her students

I'm sorry, but I genuinely cannot understand how anyone can believe that a teacher sharing innocuous facets of their personal lives, as to humanize themselves and make them more personable to their students, is wrong. I mean, I get that for a lot of people this is only an issue with LGBT+ teachers, and that this is the reason why we're having this discussion now. But for the people who claim that they don't like when any teacher discusses their relationships in passing... literally why? What specifically is the harm being done?
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2022, 01:04:57 AM »

I agree with what the poster right above me (slightlyburnttoast) said, and I do want to add that I can guarantee that had this been a straight teacher discussing her relationships or her sexuality, she wouldn't have been driven out of her job. This is anti-LGBT bigotry, nothing less. You cannot honestly, in good faith, and unironically be arguing that it's not. You yourself are LGBT, so it baffles me as to why you're trying to minimize/defend/deny the very clearly anti-LGBT sentiment that was the real reason this teacher lost her job.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2022, 01:12:43 AM »

Teachers expose themselves as heterosexuals in passing conversation with their students all the time. People that deny it are denying reality.  So you are either denying it (lol...) or you're saying that "exposing yourself as straight is okay because it's normal, but exposing yourself as not-normal is where there is a problem". If you believe that, just say it. That's a seperate argument and one that won't win in the culture wars, except maybe in the short term in red states.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2022, 01:41:19 AM »

This is a BS ruse that doesn't fool me for a second.  I've heard this story numerous time from teachers lying about their political activism in the classroom, and there are multiple articles and lawsuits about teachers resigning due to identifying vulnerable students and bullying them into facilitating sexual conversations, as well as participating in LGBTQ clubs and activities.  A common Modus Operandi is coaching the kids into asking questions like "What's LGBTQ?" and "What community do you identify with?" as pretext to talk about gender identity, discuss their own personal sexual identity, and encourage others to join through teacher and student preference pressure.  Even the whole part about the the teacher resigning is a ploy to gain sympathy from the media by pretending they resigned due to discrimination and abuse, because they don't want their misconduct to go public during the firing process.  

This is evidenced by a January Lawsuit in California wherein a mom sued two teachers, claiming that the teachers kept their LGBTQ+ activism secret, brainwashed her young daughter and others to identify as LGTBQ, encouraged children to lie to their parents, and inflicted emotional distress.  From the article, “Ms. Caldiera and Ms. Bakari would instruct students to research a particular topic and then have follow up discussions with the student about that research,” the lawsuit explains, adding that the teachers “would introduce and push LGBT+ identities on students that the students resisted.” https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/california-mom-sues-predatory-teachers-for-brainwashing-her-daughter-into-identifying-as-transgender/

This is one of many art teachers in the last year that has been fired for constantly attempting to start sexual discussions in the classroom by having the children draw a picture expressing their own sexuality after giving a presentation of an LGBT artists, Symbols and Political Paraphernalia.  In the video below, I give you another art teacher that started sexual discussions in her classroom.   Other teachers prompted students to ask questions about sexual orientation before class in order to get around the law.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKreILNh1vo

This is very deliberate tactic that teacher have been using to push sexual conversations, and prompt students to engage in LGTBQ projects either directly or through students targeted by the teacher.  In December 2021, the LGBTQ Teacher Community held seminars on how to hold discussions on gender identity, target children for membership in a non-official LGBT Club that would not officially list members so teachers could lie about a student's whereabouts.  Additionally, "Leaked materials from the California Teacher's Association Conference (CTA) in Palm Springs have shown how teachers are attempting to subvert parents on their children's inclusion in LGBTQ+ clubs, and tactics for tracking their internet use." https://www.prophecynewswatch.com/article.cfm?recent_news_id=5097
Go back to www.greatawakening.win, where you came from.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies