SB 109-05: RETCON Act (Veto Overridden) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:17:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SB 109-05: RETCON Act (Veto Overridden) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SB 109-05: RETCON Act (Veto Overridden)  (Read 1746 times)
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« on: May 12, 2022, 04:58:18 AM »

Right. So Lumine indicated in his confirmation hearing that some flexibility to retcon ridiculous stuff by previous GMs with congressional approval was desirable. This is the simplest proposal for it I was able to cobble together; I did want to make the threshold for retcon extremely high so that nothing can be removed from canon unless basically  everyone agrees that it’s an emergency that must be addressed. Also wanted to make sure all requests had to be specific and not some sort of blank check.

As a note, I know there are some members here who have expressed a desire to substantially alter or replace GERA. I ask that those discussions, if they happen, be separate from this bill. Fairly important that we get this done sooner rather than later so that Lumine can move along; any potential changes wrt GERA can then be done carrying this provision or a version of it over.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2022, 02:21:29 PM »

Previously it wasn't possible for GMs to revoke their own actions, just those of their predecessors, I think? What was the past justification for that / for including that option now?

I asked this originally (and am still hoping for an answer incidentally, Sestak, if you happen to see this) in case there was some philosophical justification for actually having the GM's word be Canon with a capital C, no-take-backsies, done and inviolable. Certainly Lumine made an excellent argument for relaxing that in the event of a completely rogue GM, I'm just interested in whether past Senators have thought otherwise and why.

I haven’t touched GM legislation too much in the past (esp not on the Senate floor, as far as I remember) so I don’t think I can be of too much help here. I don’t know if it was considered acceptable to revoke predecessor claims earlier in game history, but I do think that GM’s shouldn’t be allowed to completely tear everything up, revoke a lot of canon and rewrite much of the story history just to get to a scenario they want. This is why I have the threshold at eight-ninths; so high that it implies basically everyone agrees that the stories being revoked are lunacy that doesn’t work with everything else.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2022, 10:01:40 AM »

Aye.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2022, 11:33:30 AM »

Right. Was waiting to see if there were more specific objections to the bill from the President that might be worth considering/changing but it doesn't sound like it.

Requesting override.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2022, 12:56:39 AM »

Aye.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies