SB 109-02: Don't Kill People Act (Passed) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:41:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SB 109-02: Don't Kill People Act (Passed) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SB 109-02: Don't Kill People Act (Passed)  (Read 1307 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« on: May 13, 2022, 06:04:15 PM »

Even absent such ban, I don't think the GM had that authority during the crisis.

Even so, we should pass this to ensure clarity.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2022, 12:30:28 AM »

Even absent such ban, I don't think the GM had that authority during the crisis.

Even so, we should pass this to ensure clarity.

It's murky but I think there's enough room for a GM to claim the powers that this is basically a necessary sagefuard. The constitution allows the Game Engine "whatever powers the Senate deems necessary"; GERA grants in turn the powers to "simulate the actions of non-playable entities" and "simulate domestic and global events" as well as the final say on what ingame occurences are canon; without the protection this legislation would give it's not hard to argue that this includes events that would kill players.

Now, the Census act does not list canon death as a valid reason to remove a player from the rolls, so presumably if a player is killed they would still be able to vote and be a candidate for office as usual. The Constitution, however, does list "death" as a reason for creation of a vacancy in the Senate or Presidency, so the killed player presumably would still have to forfeit those offices by default (and depending on interpretation might continue to be unable to swear into those offices again even if they could be elected).

So yeah, I think a serious argument could be made on the legal side that the GM right now does have the power to kill players in a manner with clear ingame ramifications.

If forced to choose at gunpoint between losing the elections game, or nuking the GM's relevance, I was certainly prepared to choose the latter and I am fairly certain Adam would as well based on his history and statements as such.

The game survived without a GM for a number of years in the 2000s for example, and while giving Oakvale a win on this point would be grating, its better than the alternative.

At minimum the Supreme Court would injunct such actions pending deliberation, long enough for us to have ousted the conspirators and nuked Crane as GM.

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2022, 07:45:47 PM »

I would agree with Cao's amendment and share this concern:

If possible I’d like to hear other members’ thoughts before deciding friendly or not. Don’t care too much about voluntary death myself but it’s stuck around as a legal option for a long time and I assume there probably are some arguments for keeping them? Would like to hear.
If a player "voluntarily dies," wouldn't they be forbidden from coming back without the GM writing a story magically resurrecting them? I could see players using this as a way to deregister "for good" without the temptation of coming back but instead it creates a big issue. We've seen players like Laki/FDB/Ninja leave and rejoin countless amounts of times and I'd imagine most players who consent to the GM killing them off have a similar mindset and might regret their decision a little while later.

Death should probably stay as a condition to declare an office vacant, in case someone important legit dies in RL (assuming we had proof of that), as otherwise we would leave an office effectively vacant for the remainder of the term (or in the case of say, a SCOA judge, literally forever, barring impeachment). It's probably not necessary to add this to the Census Act as we already have auto deregistration after missing three elections.

Thats a rather unfortunate situation actually, because it would be difficult to prove or know if someone died IRL.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2022, 04:51:18 PM »

Aye
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies