If Trump returns to the presidency, will McConnell be forced out as GOP leader?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:09:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  If Trump returns to the presidency, will McConnell be forced out as GOP leader?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: If Trump returns to the presidency, will McConnell be forced out as GOP leader?  (Read 843 times)
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 11, 2022, 08:34:00 AM »

While kind of forgiving McCarthy, Mr. Trump has definitely turned on Mitch McConnell since leaving office. Will McConnell lose his position or step down as GOP caucus leader if Trump indeed makes a comeback and returns to the presidency? Sure, McConnell has a lot of power in the senate, but Trump would be fully in charge should he return to office.

What do you think? I'd expect McConnell be forced out and Rick Scott as his successor.
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
The Pieman
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2022, 10:13:36 AM »

I think McConnell will stay for 2023, but if Trump returns to the presidency then Mitch goes. I think even McConnell's most loyal allies in the Senate will see that there is no way a Senate Majority Leader can continue in leadership with a same party President in office that is not on speaking terms with them. It just won't work.
I don't think Scott would become leader, he's too unpopular with his colleagues.
Mitch will try and get Thune in as his successor but Trump will kill his leadership bid. Someone like Barrasso who is acceptable to both Trump and the non-Trumpists is more likely, even John Kennedy.
Huey Long is a Republican
New Tennessean Politician
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2022, 11:57:41 AM »

John Kennedy is Trump's likliest pick. I think he'd prefer Hawley, but the generic Conservatives of the Party wouldn't go for him.

As for the question - Yes, McConnell and Trump are practically political rivals with the way they want the party to go down, with McConnell trying to steer it back to Bush**te Neo-Conservatism while Trump is pulling it to the Populist road, even if the moderates and RINOs are kicking and screaming as he does so. I do think McConnell retires in 2023. If enough of Trump's guys (Oz, Budd, Walker, Vance, Greitens/Hartzler, Lahmayer, Dahm, Brooks, (Maybe) Whalen, Tshibaka, Laxalt, Morse/Bolduc, and Masters) wins, then Mitch is screwed as that's 11-13 Senators that would vote against his leadership bid. If the GOP have a good night and just gain AZ, NV, and GA, then that would still be a decent chunk of the GOP Senate Caucus that would not back Mitch.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2022, 01:23:12 PM »

Not necessarily, I could see reach them an agreement that Mitch stays in power but de facto again serves as Trump's rubber stamp (or vise versa). Cocaine Mitch never really stood up to Trump, especially before the latter was already defeated for reelection. More than anything else the old turtle cares about his power rather than any principles. And if staying in power requires sucking up to the God Emperor again, he'll be perfectly fine to do so again.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2022, 04:49:09 PM »

Trump isn't returning to the Prez with that 24 Senate map , we have entrenched incumbent in all the 303 Seats
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2022, 06:03:54 PM »

Mitchie and Cheeto have made their bed together and now Mitchie will lie in it.

Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2022, 08:47:51 PM »

MItch is gone if Trump is elected.  The thought that Rick Scott would be Republican Leader does depress me greatly.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2022, 08:54:24 PM »

Mitch would prolly be vulnerable to a primary if he does run again in 2026.
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
The Pieman
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2022, 09:38:19 PM »

He is the most unpopular Senator in the country, even in his state. There's never been a solid primary challenger to him and there WILL be if he runs again. Also Trump will endorse whoever runs against him.
McConnell is DOA in his primary if he runs again in 2026.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2022, 09:54:06 PM »

Good. Mitch the B**** has to go. He should have lost in 2008 to Lunsford.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2022, 09:56:44 PM »

Trump isn't coming back GA is looking at criminal prosecution anyways
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2022, 10:56:55 PM »

With the news that Cameron is running for governor, it’s looking like McConnell is planning on running for re-election in 2026.
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
The Pieman
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2022, 11:35:29 PM »

With the news that Cameron is running for governor, it’s looking like McConnell is planning on running for re-election in 2026.
Then he should be gearing up for retiring after a 20 point loss in his primary.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2022, 11:51:37 PM »

Who’s going to primary him? Matt Bevin?
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
The Pieman
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2022, 11:58:54 PM »

Bevin is just as unpopular as Mitch. I'd say someone else, maybe Massie?
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2022, 12:15:00 AM »

Massie is very libertarian leaning and kind of out of step with Trumpism on a lot of things.
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
The Pieman
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2022, 12:45:35 AM »

Massie is very libertarian leaning and kind of out of step with Trumpism on a lot of things.
I guess. I'm trying to think of of Trump allies in Kentucky but there's not many.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2022, 09:22:10 AM »

Someone not on the radar yet.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2022, 09:32:18 AM »

People are overestimating Trump's ability to primary incumbents.
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
The Pieman
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2022, 09:56:28 AM »

He 100% can primary out the least popular Senator in the country. In fact I'd go so far as to say that Mitch would be vulnerable in his primary even if Trump didn't back a challenger. It's not even like Kentucky is some especially pro-establishment state.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2022, 10:08:19 AM »

He 100% can primary out the least popular Senator in the country. In fact I'd go so far as to say that Mitch would be vulnerable in his primary even if Trump didn't back a challenger. It's not even like Kentucky is some especially pro-establishment state.

With the right kind of candidate, sure. Though McConnell being very unpopular in the whole country is irrelevant. He's just on the KY ballot.

That said, the question was more whether McTurtleman had to step down as GOP leader in 2025 and just be a normal senator again. He could actually become prez pro tem in the next congress should Grassley die in office or resign early for health reasons. Not wishing anyone ill, but that's very possible with a dude turning 88 and running for another term. McConnell is already the 3rd most senior senator after Leahy and Grassley.
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
The Pieman
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2022, 11:39:14 AM »

With the right kind of candidate, sure. Though McConnell being very unpopular in the whole country is irrelevant. He's just on the KY ballot.

That said, the question was more whether McTurtleman had to step down as GOP leader in 2025 and just be a normal senator again. He could actually become prez pro tem in the next congress should Grassley die in office or resign early for health reasons. Not wishing anyone ill, but that's very possible with a dude turning 88 and running for another term. McConnell is already the 3rd most senior senator after Leahy and Grassley.
I'm not just talking about him being unpopular nationally. When polled in their home state, McConnell consistently ranks as the least popular out of any Senator in the country.
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2022, 01:24:41 PM »

Good. Mitch the B**** has to go. He should have lost in 2008 to Lunsford.

Had the Democrats nominated a more Moderate Dem (Bayh, Bredesen, Breaux, Henry, etc etc) and tried to recruit Siegelman, Hodges, and some others, it's likely McConnell would've lost along with a few other Republican Senators. 2008 was really a golden opportunity to pick up some Southern States in the Senate and the Dems squandered it.
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2022, 01:26:49 PM »

Someone not on the radar yet.

My money is either on Brett Guthrie or the KY SoS (forgot his name)
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2022, 01:28:01 PM »

Anyone who thinks McConnell would step aside is delusional, he only cares about power and he also still commands way more support in the caucus than Trump does. Unlike say McCarthy, you can see McConnell’s embrace of Trump as a ploy to maintain power than anything actually genuine. I’m not convinced the man has any genuine beliefs beyond “what can improve the institutional position of the Republican Party.”
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies