should the dems have let trump win in 2020
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 12:15:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  should the dems have let trump win in 2020
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: should the dems have let trump win in 2020  (Read 784 times)
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 09, 2022, 10:19:47 PM »

if Dinesh D'Souza is to be believed, the dems did a lot of cheating in that election. Wouldn't it have been easier to let Trump win, have the economy implode like it is right now, and basically have the supreme court getting rid of Roe something that can be used against Trump.

Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2022, 10:23:22 PM »

In this scenario, Gorsuch or ACB is probably the "swing vote" on SCOTUS.  I don't see in what universe that's good for Dems.   
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2022, 10:31:44 PM »

In this scenario, Gorsuch or ACB is probably the "swing vote" on SCOTUS.  I don't see in what universe that's good for Dems.   

Breyer is not retiring in this scenario. By 2025 the dems probably have the congressional and state legislative votes to basically end all this bs
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2022, 10:34:00 PM »

I've always believed that Trump has/had the potential to do something similar to what Fujimori did in Peru in 1992 (i.e. shutting down Congress, suspending the constitution, reorganizing the judiciary). Were that to happen, pretty much all political institutions could be manipulated to lock out Democrats until such time the government is overthrown by force. That's one of the main reasons why I've always wanted Trump out of power ASAP, and why I am weary of a potential return of him to power.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2022, 10:35:06 PM »

I've always believed that Trump has/had the potential to do something similar to what Fujimori did in Peru in 1992. Were that to happen, pretty much all political institutions could be manipulated to lock out Democrats until such time the government is overthrown by force. That's one of the main reasons why I've always wanted Trump out of power ASAP, and why I am weary of a potential return of him to power.
So does that mean Ivanka Trump loses 3 presidential elections in a row by 0.2% in a decade or two?
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2022, 11:00:19 PM »

Yes and if they would further support a temporary suspension of the 22nd amendment and then let Trump win in 2024 and 2028 and 2032 and 2036 then whey would be poised to take a massive trifecta in 2040 and could pass whatever they want.
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2022, 11:08:36 PM »

if Dinesh D'Souza is to be believed, the dems did a lot of cheating in that election. Wouldn't it have been easier to let Trump win, have the economy implode like it is right now, and basically have the supreme court getting rid of Roe something that can be used against Trump.

Dinesh D'Souza is not to be believed. About anything. Ever.

Also, we literally *just* had a thread on this like a day ago.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2022, 09:15:35 AM »

Dems should never nominate a prez candidate again and just let GOP run unopposed, so we can make downballot gains until we have 100 senators, 435 Reps and all 50 govs.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2022, 09:46:59 AM »

Narrator: He was not to be believed.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2022, 09:50:38 AM »

I've always believed that Trump has/had the potential to do something similar to what Fujimori did in Peru in 1992 (i.e. shutting down Congress, suspending the constitution, reorganizing the judiciary). Were that to happen, pretty much all political institutions could be manipulated to lock out Democrats until such time the government is overthrown by force. That's one of the main reasons why I've always wanted Trump out of power ASAP, and why I am weary of a potential return of him to power.

Isn't that what every nationalist from DeSantis to Orban is doing?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2022, 09:51:26 AM »

Narrator: He was not to be believed.

Sounds like the start of a Its Always Sunny episode.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2022, 10:30:11 AM »

No, because we solidified the Breyer seat if Trump won he would have appointed 200 more Judges and who's to say that in 24 we would of won Breyer can die at anytime  and made it 7/2

Right now if we Crt pack we only net 2 more Judges because Roberts is a moderate we won't get 13 judges and don't need all them judges so that has something to do with it too
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2022, 11:30:43 AM »

Ignoring D'Souza's foaming at the mouth, if the whole "give up a presidential year to make gains in the following midterm" were actually a good strategy, don't you think the political parties would actually attempt it from time to time? Are Republicans seriously happy that Biden won because 2022 would've been a terrible year for their party if Trump had won? Probably not, perhaps excluding a few Republicans up for re-election this year. Both parties are already too accustomed to functioning as mostly opposition parties, and they're only going to limit their ability to appeal to enough voters to get sizable majorities by simply demonizing the "other side."
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2022, 09:29:56 PM »

Ignoring D'Souza's foaming at the mouth, if the whole "give up a presidential year to make gains in the following midterm" were actually a good strategy, don't you think the political parties would actually attempt it from time to time? Are Republicans seriously happy that Biden won because 2022 would've been a terrible year for their party if Trump had won? Probably not, perhaps excluding a few Republicans up for re-election this year. Both parties are already too accustomed to functioning as mostly opposition parties, and they're only going to limit their ability to appeal to enough voters to get sizable majorities by simply demonizing the "other side."

i get the thought but you don't think obama winning in 2008 and 2012 helped the Rs downballot? I think it did.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2022, 09:37:18 PM »

i get the thought but you don't think obama winning in 2008 and 2012 helped the Rs downballot? I think it did.

A big part of this is that Democratic voters are terrible at giving a sh**t about any office other than the Presidency, which isn't a problem that can be fixed by just throwing Presidential elections.
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -1.04

P P
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2022, 10:14:01 PM »

Biden won 2020 fair and square, so no
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2022, 10:55:57 PM »

Silly take, who would have thought COVID was an Endemic, no matter whom is Prez it's bad for the inparty, no matter when Ds took office again it's still would be a problem

COVID is a virus and isn't going away anytime soon even if the Rs take over, if they take over Congress and can't resolve COVID they will be thrown out in 24

We thought the vaccines were gonna work but the Omnicron surge took over after everyone' got vaccinated last summer
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2022, 11:03:44 PM »

It's hard to have a poisoned chalice election if any trifecta just goes away after two years anyway. I don't think Democrats would necessarily have had more Senate seats in the alternate 2024 either. If Trump wins, they could have lost several Senate seats they won in 2020. While the 2022 midterms would be great for them, they could lose a few Senate seats in 2024 even if they won the presidency.

If the country is doing well in 2024, then Biden will likely win and it would have been harder for Democrats to win a functioning trifecta in this alternate 2024. If inflation is still a big problem and Biden or Harris lose, then maybe there would have been conditions for Democrats to win a landslide in 2024. We just don't know and can never know before an election.

Obviously, Donald Trump being re-elected would have been a disaster for America and the world.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2022, 01:50:36 PM »

Dems should never nominate a prez candidate again and just let GOP run unopposed, so we can make downballot gains until we have 100 senators, 435 Reps and all 50 govs.

Exactly.
Constantly reading threads like this is so frustrating.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2022, 04:59:19 PM »

COVID is bad for whom ever the Incumbent party is, if the Rs get back in control and they don't solve COVID they will be thrown out in 24, we don't have a mandate Govt is Divided Govt, the Rs were gonna be favored no matter what if Biden didn't get COVID in control but and then you add a war on top of it

As I said, we were all getting better until this Omnicron surge came in thru TX and, July 2021, immigrants and that's the issue it's migration that's causing surges in cases .

So, no we shouldn't have let Trump win he wasn't even getting people vaccinated when the COVID shot came out
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2022, 09:16:17 PM »

It's hard to have a poisoned chalice election if any trifecta just goes away after two years anyway.

the definition of a poisoned chalice to me is - is the minority you're in worse than it was pre-wave? So for instance - will the dems have less congressional/state legislative seats in 2023-2024 than they did in 2017-2018? If so, it means 2020 was a poisoned chalice.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2022, 09:38:45 PM »

If you look at GCB the D's are ahead and why because of Roe and the tax cuts for the rich, Rs blocked BBB climate change and Dental for Medicare because they didn't want to raise Corporate taxes from 20/27

Deming's and Crist are 1 pt behind Rubio and DeSsntis the Ukraine war and Gas prices have benefited the Rs but not anymore it has faded
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2022, 12:42:27 AM »

You lost all credibility when you mentioned Dinesh D’Souza.
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2022, 04:06:54 PM »

You lost all credibility when you mentioned Dinesh D’Souza.

My mom (who's a R leaning indy) asked me if I wanted to see the movie and I agreed. The arguments from Catherine Engelbrecht seemed convincing. If you have people whose cellphone data puts them at various NGO locations and then to a few dozen polling places at odd hours of the day (i.e. 2 AM) - something is off. The one question I would have wanted to ask is - did they do a "data dump" from the drop boxes in somewhere like Forsyth or Hall counties? If there was minimal mule activity there, it further makes his point. But if there were plenty of mules there too, it might mean that republicans were doing the same thing.
TPIG
ThatConservativeGuy
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 1.91

« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2022, 04:10:42 PM »

If the Dems had let Trump win in 2020, I don't think there would be any sort of legitimate or fair presidential contest in 2024...so...no.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies