GOP lean of parents vs. non-parents is staggering
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 05:49:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  GOP lean of parents vs. non-parents is staggering
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: GOP lean of parents vs. non-parents is staggering  (Read 1380 times)
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 09, 2022, 12:08:00 AM »

There are so many things so wrong with this.

Are eye roll inducing lectures on diversity and inclusiveness (always mandatory, never necessary, never helpful) going to help take away rights from grown men and women by empowering a reaction? Is childcare so completely unaffordable these days that only the rich can have kids? Are loony hard-right evangelicals who think it's the will of God that gays be legally punished for existing the only people in America having kids?

The last of these possibilities is the scariest to me. It suggest a prelude to idocracy.

In any event we have a parenting crises in America today. Violence against referees in juvenile sports is a symptom of a greater problem with American parents, and we remain in the midst of a deep baby bust. 
ملكة كرينجيتوك
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2022, 12:42:12 AM »

The crosstabs in that poll are a bit sus

Source + crosstabs: https://maristpoll.marist.edu/wp-content/uploads/2022/04/NPR_PBS-NewsHour_Marist-Poll_USA-NOS-and-Tables_202204271123.pdf

SAMPLE SIZE: n = 1377 + 3.4%. Poll sample is slightly younger, less well-off, more Latino, and more Southern/less Western than the overall electorate.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2022, 12:50:17 AM »

Are eye roll inducing lectures on diversity and inclusiveness (always mandatory, never necessary, never helpful) going to help take away rights from grown men and women by empowering a reaction? Is childcare so completely unaffordable these days that only the rich can have kids? Are loony hard-right evangelicals who think it's the will of God that gays be legally punished for existing the only people in America having kids?

The last of these possibilities is the scariest to me. It suggest a prelude to idocracy.

In general, there's a decently large and growing gap between Republicans and Democrats on fertility, though I don't think self-identified evangelicals really differ from self-identified Republicans in this regard.

Wealth is only a predictor of fertility among self-identified Republicans (where it is a very strong predictor, though). Among Democrats and independents, household income plays no role in predicting someone's fertility. Among Republicans, it is a fairly strong predictor.

Also, studies have generally hinted that the causation here goes the other way: if you have kids, you are likelier to become a loony hard-right evangelical. You don't necessary start out that way.
Unelectable Bystander
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2022, 07:10:29 AM »

In general, there's a decently large and growing gap between Republicans and Democrats on fertility, though I don't think self-identified evangelicals really differ from self-identified Republicans in this regard.

Wealth is only a predictor of fertility among self-identified Republicans (where it is a very strong predictor, though). Among Democrats and independents, household income plays no role in predicting someone's fertility. Among Republicans, it is a fairly strong predictor.

Also, studies have generally hinted that the causation here goes the other way: if you have kids, you are likelier to become a loony hard-right evangelical. You don't necessary start out that way.

This is interesting. It would seem to imply that among whites, democrats are much richer than republicans without their own religion
SInNYC

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2022, 01:22:55 PM »

That graph is very interesting since the prevailing belief on the right is that POC have lots of children and will outgrow whites, or among the more overtly racist of them, the "browning" of America.

But that graph implies the exact opposite, and its right wing whites of all Christian denominations that are most likely to have kids (yeah, I know thats not necessarily the same as most number of kids).
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2022, 09:13:21 PM »

This is interesting. It would seem to imply that among whites, democrats are much richer than republicans without their own religion

I don't think that's surprising at all given the geographic and education distributions of white Democrats vs. white Republicans. The Democrats are the party of wealthy, highly educated white people, as well as minorities, who are disproportionately poorer and less educated (although wealthy/more educated minority voters are also Democratic), while the Republicans are the party of middle-to-low income, middle-to-low education white people.
ملكة كرينجيتوك
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2022, 10:17:11 PM »

I don't think that's surprising at all given the geographic and education distributions of white Democrats vs. white Republicans. The Democrats are the party of wealthy, highly educated white people, as well as minorities, who are disproportionately poorer and less educated (although wealthy/more educated minority voters are also Democratic), while the Republicans are the party of middle-to-low income, middle-to-low education white people.

I find it interesting that nonwhite R evangelicals are slightly less likely to have children under 18 in their household than their D counterparts, which is the opposite of what we see with nonwhite Catholics. Their median household income is similar to that of nonwhite D Catholics at a similar age.

Nonwhite evangelical Protestants have a larger D-R household income gap, but nonwhite Catholics have a larger D-R "living with children under 18" gap.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2022, 10:18:44 PM »

I find it interesting that nonwhite R evangelicals are slightly less likely to have children under 18 in their household than their D counterparts, which is the opposite of what we see with nonwhite Catholics. Their median household income is similar to that of nonwhite D Catholics at a similar age.

Nonwhite evangelical Protestants have a larger D-R household income gap, but nonwhite Catholics have a larger D-R "living with children under 18" gap.

You're talking pretty small sample sizes when you're discussing non-white evangelicals broken down by party affiliation.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2022, 11:06:21 PM »

So what is it about having kids that causes people's brains to melt?
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2022, 11:37:51 PM »

Parenting makes people more risk-averse.
ملكة كرينجيتوك
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2022, 12:09:34 AM »

(2013) Study finds lack of sleep contributes to prejudice and stereotyping

(2016) Why contemplating death changes how you think

But why does death make us more punitive, conservative and religious? According to many theorists, reminders of death compel us to seek immortality. Many religions offer literal immortality, but our secular affiliations – such as our nation states and ethnic groups – can provide symbolic immortality. These groups and their traditions are a part of who we are, and they outlive us. Defending our cultural norms can boost our sense of belonging and being more punitive against individuals who violate cultural norms – such as prostitutes – is symptom of this.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2022, 06:30:08 AM »
« Edited: May 11, 2022, 08:10:05 AM by DC Al Fine »

I'm a bit amused by some of the framing here. A large segment of the population is struggling with family formation, due to cost of living or cultural values or whatever (I tend to agree with Averroes that this is overdetermined), but the segments that don't struggle with it are the ones that are being treated as the oddballs.

This is a serious issue that progressives should be looking at fixing as much as possible.

To push back a bit here, risk aversion is frequently invoked to explain the tendency of women, particularly unmarried women, to vote Democrat. How would you reconcile that with your explanation for parents trending right wing-Evangelical?

Or do you reject the hypothesis that women vote Dem due to risk aversion?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2022, 10:04:57 AM »

Conservatives have far more children than liberals, and as such it is natural to expect parents of children to be a conservative-leaning demographic. This is a phenomenon that has been noticed for years, though the exact cause of this is unknown.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2022, 10:17:51 AM »

Conservatives have far more children than liberals, and as such it is natural to expect parents of children to be a conservative-leaning demographic. This is a phenomenon that has been noticed for years, though the exact cause of this is unknown.

It has been going along long enough that most people my age or younger would be Republican, not Democratic. Just because your parents have a certain set of beliefs doesn't mean that you do. For example, all of my sister in laws come from very Republican families (one family are wealthy Coptic Christians, another are crazy border patrol people from the only conservative/moderate area in Vermont, and the last one from rural Central Nebraska) even though they are all liberals of varying degrees.

Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2022, 10:52:44 AM »

It has been going along long enough that most people my age or younger would be Republican, not Democratic. Just because your parents have a certain set of beliefs doesn't mean that you do. For example, all of my sister in laws come from very Republican families (one family are wealthy Coptic Christians, another are crazy border patrol people from the only conservative/moderate area in Vermont, and the last one from rural Central Nebraska) even though they are all liberals of varying degrees.

Kind of a non sequitur. This thread is about parents and why they lean Republican. I never suggested that their children would also lean Republican.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2022, 10:58:26 AM »

Interesting that such conservative parents are having such identity diverse children.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2022, 11:19:21 AM »

They achieve true happiness.

And a little early #tbt

Conservatives have grand/children to worry about unlike Democrat activists and thus are far motivated by the issue. They have more leeway to overextend locally where it may not visibly impact those who oppose it.

Lol do you think only conservatives have children?

“The political Right is having a lot more kids than the political Left,” he explained. “The gap is actually 41 percent.” Data on the U.S. birth rate from the General Social Survey confirms this trend—a random sample of 100 conservative adults will raise 208 children, while 100 liberal adults will raise a mere 147 kids. That’s a massive gap.
coloradocowboi
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2022, 07:46:37 PM »

I have nothing smart to add, except that’s it’s hilarious that parents are flocking to vote for the party whose agenda would guarantee their children live in a polluted wasteland and possibly through the end of human civilization, but still think “mama bear would do anything for my baby!”

Anything except vote in their interest lol.
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2022, 08:24:41 AM »

Kind of a non sequitur. This thread is about parents and why they lean Republican. I never suggested that their children would also lean Republican.

I will suggest it. Politics are highly heritable, and we understate this fact because the rebellious types are both louder and disproportionately interesting people. (e.g., Politicians themselves are more likely to have politics independent of their parents.) But in the vast majority of cases (i.e., the ones that matter in a popular election), children will vote as their parents did, at least relative to the national average. The fact Republicans out-breed Democrats will be highly significant.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2022, 08:35:34 AM »
« Edited: May 13, 2022, 01:26:31 PM by Person Man »

In a vacuum, I agree but various columnists and think tank professors has used this argument to claim that society was going to become homogenously conservative in the future because of how unsuccessful liberals are in propagating themselves.

It's kind of up there with the notion that white people are going to go extinct because 1) there's more opportunities for different types of people to have children, and 2) white genes are recessive and all based on the fact that it's three times likelier that a child won't be white if only one of their parents is white. White people aren't going extinct.

If you are willing to separate it from its implications, sure.
Ritz
Rookie
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2022, 01:30:41 PM »

(Sources: CCES, AP Votecast)

People really shouldn't use crosstabs from random polls to make inferences like this. The margin of error is usually gigantic.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2022, 03:04:02 PM »

(Sources: CCES, AP Votecast)

People really shouldn't use crosstabs from random polls to make inferences like this. The margin of error is usually gigantic.

Usually yes but 3517 is a pretty solid number for any poll.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2022, 03:04:33 PM »

Interesting. What's the cause?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2022, 01:26:51 PM »

Interesting that such conservative parents are having such identity diverse children.

That's what I am saying.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2022, 09:01:40 AM »

To push back a bit here, risk aversion is frequently invoked to explain the tendency of women, particularly unmarried women, to vote Democrat. How would you reconcile that with your explanation for parents trending right wing-Evangelical?

Or do you reject the hypothesis that women vote Dem due to risk aversion?

I mean, I don't think that's contradictory at all? I would imagine young unmarried women skew less risk averse than older, married women; and therefore they would skew more left wing. Indeed risk averseness would to me imply some degree of small-c conservatism after all!

Though tbh I do believe that women are more risk averse than men on average and that can show in their politics. But it sould not show on left vs right terms but rather on "extremism" terms. Both the far left and far-right would be heavily male while more moderate candidates would receive more female support.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies