pennsylvania 2010
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 24, 2024, 09:58:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  pennsylvania 2010
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: pennsylvania 2010  (Read 5247 times)
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2006, 09:41:11 PM »

I interned for Murphy at his local office over the summer, and I highly doubt he'd be interested, though it's a possibility.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2006, 10:56:18 AM »

I hope Murphy (R) doesn't run, because I think he'd be a very strong candidate!
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2006, 04:32:39 PM »

Murphy has some problems. He gets a lot of bad press because he can't keep his staff together. Many quit on him. He is branded as a very mean boss. Internal problems like these would hurt any potential candidate for higher office.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2006, 11:38:29 PM »

Addressing the idea of Perzel in 2010 - http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/opinion/columnists/bumsted/s_481295.html
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2006, 01:45:24 PM »

I think he has a good shot for you guys.  Thing with him is he would get crushed in other parts of Philly and the suburbs.  Unfortunately, a lot of NE Philadelphians love him and it would be a close race here with him cleaning up in Mayfair and Fox Chase. 
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2006, 01:52:44 PM »

I think he has a good shot for you guys.  Thing with him is he would get crushed in other parts of Philly and the suburbs.  Unfortunately, a lot of NE Philadelphians love him and it would be a close race here with him cleaning up in Mayfair and Fox Chase. 

He would not win statewide. He'd do well in areas of the NE but that would be canceled out by disastrous numbers for him elsewhere. He is far too unpopular. He'd have to do some major image repair.

Plus, I think people like yourself, with a comment like that, want to try to BS Republicans into nominating him so you'd get to win the General.  Tongue
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2006, 02:07:32 AM »

My Dad said that what contributed in part to Santorums downfall was his supoort of Specter instead of Tommey.

It's something interesting to consider and the only thing I really disagreed with Rick Santorum about, Arlen Specter should have been brought down in the general if he could survive the primary like Chafee (only Pat Toomey is 10X what Laffey will ever be)

That has got to be the biggest pile of bs I ever heard.  Look at where Santorum's biggest drop off from 2000 was.  Suburban Philadelphia, aka Specter & Rendell country.  Santorum got his ass handed to him in Specter's strongest part of the state, an area Santorum has won in the pas.  Santorum's downfall wasn't that he backed Specter.  His downfall was that he became a Bushbot, and was now seen as a member of the extreme right in a moderate state, wheen in the past he was seen as your run of the mill Republican.  Now he was seen as being on the fringe of the far right.  Hell if he backed Tommey over Specter, he may have lost even more than he did and his brutal numbers in suburban Philly may have been even worse.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2006, 02:21:34 AM »

My Dad said that what contributed in part to Santorums downfall was his supoort of Specter instead of Tommey.

It's something interesting to consider and the only thing I really disagreed with Rick Santorum about, Arlen Specter should have been brought down in the general if he could survive the primary like Chafee (only Pat Toomey is 10X what Laffey will ever be)

That has got to be the biggest pile of bs I ever heard.  Look at where Santorum's biggest drop off from 2000 was.  Suburban Philadelphia, aka Specter & Rendell country.  Santorum got his ass handed to him in Specter's strongest part of the state, an area Santorum has won in the pas.  Santorum's downfall wasn't that he backed Specter.  His downfall was that he became a Bushbot, and was now seen as a member of the extreme right in a moderate state, wheen in the past he was seen as your run of the mill Republican.  Now he was seen as being on the fringe of the far right.  Hell if he backed Tommey over Specter, he may have lost even more than he did and his brutal numbers in suburban Philly may have been even worse.

I agree with that, BUT if Santorum supported Toomey, his numbers might have been higher in the Lehigh Valley.  Strange, I know, considering it was once steel country and has a big union prescence.  The UAW has a pretty plush office near Mack Truck in Allentown and I once phone banked there for Jennifer Mann.

What will happen in a Schwartz/Hoeffel/Sestak vs. Santorum/Hart/Toomey race has yet to be seen.  I could also see Altmire as an outsider for the Ds as well.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2006, 10:00:06 AM »

I agree with that, BUT if Santorum supported Toomey, his numbers might have been higher in the Lehigh Valley.  Strange, I know, considering it was once steel country and has a big union prescence.  The UAW has a pretty plush office near Mack Truck in Allentown and I once phone banked there for Jennifer Mann.

Talk about a change.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Schwartz/Hoeffel/Sestak would be strong in SE but not all that great elsewhere. Sestak would have the most appeal statewide.

Altmire is going to have enough on his hands if Hart comes back in 2008.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2006, 07:33:06 PM »

Murphy has some problems. He gets a lot of bad press because he can't keep his staff together. Many quit on him. He is branded as a very mean boss. Internal problems like these would hurt any potential candidate for higher office.

He's also facing a local scandal involving unpaid interns passing out campaignlike material during congressional office hours (one of which was me, so look for me in an FBI detainment cell Wink).  I know the woman who was fired because she was whistleblower.  When I was there interning for about two and a half months, two out of about 8 staffers quit/resigned/fired (one of them I'm not sure which).
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies