pennsylvania 2010
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 24, 2024, 08:39:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  pennsylvania 2010
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: pennsylvania 2010  (Read 5246 times)
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 18, 2006, 01:45:14 PM »

what democrats are contemplating the race? (since obviously little casey has given his sacred word to not run)

is it a good bet that either toomey or santorum will run for the republican nomination.  any chance they may both run?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2006, 01:52:24 PM »

I bet Toomey goes for Specter's Senate seat again. Santorum seems more likely to go for Governor. I doubt both would run for the same office. There are actually a few awkward possibilites for the GOP since a number of people are rumored and if they run, they could be facing off against some of their friends. The field will certainly narrow because of this but some of the mentioned possible candidates for both sides:

Dems

Dan Onorato - Chief Executive of Allegheny county
Jack Wagner - Auditor General
Barbara Hafer - Former State Treasurer

Republicans

Melissa Hart - Former Congresswoman
Tom Corbett - State Attorney General
Charlie Dent - Congressman
John Perzel - State House Speaker

I posted this in the PA Gubernatorial Race 2006 thread. Enjoy. - http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06316/737687-178.stm
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2006, 02:35:58 PM »

Phil,

I think you overestimate Toomey's chances (Santorum's chances too...I know you like the guy, but the man was handed his ass this year)...

Sadly Toomey's economic views wouldn't play too well out side of the SE which would reject his social views soundly...and his social views while good in the rest of the state face the challenge of overcoming his laissez faire economic views elsewhere...I don't see how he can form a plurality/majority.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2006, 02:40:42 PM »

Phil,

I think you overestimate Toomey's chances (Santorum's chances too...I know you like the guy, but the man was handed his ass this year)...

Sadly Toomey's economic views wouldn't play too well out side of the SE which would reject his social views soundly...and his social views while good in the rest of the state face the challenge of overcoming his laissez faire economic views elsewhere...I don't see how he can form a plurality/majority.

Well, we can debate Toomey's chances in the General at another time  Wink  but I don't think the idea of him making another run for the nomination and actually winning is far off at all. The man has stayed very involved in PA. He is a strong force in the conservative movement here. I think he's going to try for Specter's seat again and if Specter insists on running for another term (which some say he is planning on doing) then I have little doubt that Toomey will beat him this time.

I don't think I am overestimating Santorum either. The man isn't finished with politics. He can run for Governor (or Senate) and win the nomination. Again, the General can be debated later.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2006, 10:06:15 PM »

who is the lt. gov in pa?

how come him or her isnt mentioned as a possible candidate?
RBH

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2006, 10:18:55 PM »

Catherine Baker Knoll is not quite popular.

And here's the Toomey/Specter county map (Toomey in red, Specter in blue):

And who is cheering for a Santorum/Toomey ticket for 2010?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2006, 10:09:03 AM »

And who is cheering for a Santorum/Toomey ticket for 2010?

Amazing how you leave out the fact that that was a primary, making things totally different. If Bush and Santorum didn't get involved, you'd see a lot more dark red on that map. Do you honestly think the more conservative candidate would lose in those central counties?

who is the lt. gov in pa?

how come him or her isnt mentioned as a possible candidate?

As RBH pointed out, our Lt. Governor is Catherine Baker Knoll. She isn't that popular because she is a nut job. I'd tell you a bit about her except it could go on forever. The woman is a loon. Another reason why she's never mentioned is because she is almost 80 years old.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2006, 01:14:15 PM »

My Dad said that what contributed in part to Santorums downfall was his supoort of Specter instead of Tommey.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2006, 01:22:09 PM »

I bet Toomey goes for Specter's Senate seat again. Santorum seems more likely to go for Governor. I doubt both would run for the same office. There are actually a few awkward possibilites for the GOP since a number of people are rumored and if they run, they could be facing off against some of their friends. The field will certainly narrow because of this but some of the mentioned possible candidates for both sides:

Dems

Republicans

I posted this in the PA Gubernatorial Race 2006 thread. Enjoy. - http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06316/737687-178.stm

You make our bench seem weaker than it already is.  IMO, you should add Allyson Schwartz to the Dem possibilities.  Not too many people mention Perzel, but I could see him as a possibility.  You should realize he won't do as well here as he does in State Rep elections.  The money he brings home is a very big factor in his landslide victories.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2006, 01:33:58 PM »

You make our bench seem weaker than it already is.  IMO, you should add Allyson Schwartz to the Dem possibilities.  Not too many people mention Perzel, but I could see him as a possibility.  You should realize he won't do as well here as he does in State Rep elections.  The money he brings home is a very big factor in his landslide victories.

You're clueless if you don't know Perzel is running and I never said he'd do well. I was just stating the obvious - he's a candidate for Governor. Schwartz is not interested in being Governor so I wouldn't put her down.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2006, 02:25:53 PM »

why is the lt gov unpopular?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2006, 02:30:18 PM »

Well, she has her own little base out in the west but that's it. The woman has a number of faults. She is believed to be senile. She sometimes calls the Governor "Edwin G. Robinson" (forgetting his name), frequently mixes up members of the State Senate while presiding and her most infamous incident was when she handed out business cards at the funeral of an Iraq vet while making anti war comments.
NewFederalist
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -2.26

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2006, 02:40:27 PM »

Phil was actually UNDERSTATING this persons' problems. I have no idea why Rendell did not dump her from the ticket. If Ed Rendell could not finish his term I would be very concerned. I think this lady is truly a few sticks short of a cord!
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2006, 04:33:28 PM »
« Edited: November 19, 2006, 05:15:29 PM by Kevin »

Phil was actually UNDERSTATING this persons' problems. I have no idea why Rendell did not dump her from the ticket. If Ed Rendell could not finish his term I would be very concerned. I think this lady is truly a few sticks short of a cord!
Didn't the PA soceity have her on the don't invite list at their annual shendig?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2006, 04:35:52 PM »

Dems

Republicans

Add Doyle (I have have heard he is very moderate) and MAYBE Holden for the Dems (no way Schwartz could win).

Add Murphy (R) to Republicans.

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2006, 04:41:31 PM »

Rendell didn't dump her because the woman actually has core supporters out west and at that time it was looking like he'd have a strong challenge.

Add Doyle (I have have heard he is very moderate) and MAYBE Holden for the Dems (no way Schwartz could win).

Add Murphy (R) to Republicans.

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

I don't know if the Dems would want to give up their safe House seats for a tough run statewide. I think Doyle or Holden could win though.

Murphy might be interested but I really don't know.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2006, 05:26:12 PM »

I concur.  I know one of her ex-staffers and he had some rather interesting stories.  I would have actually voted for Republican Jim Matthews for LT. Governor if I could, but in PA you can't.
NewFederalist
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -2.26

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2006, 05:31:29 PM »

I concur.  I know one of her ex-staffers and he had some rather interesting stories.  I would have actually voted for Republican Jim Matthews for LT. Governor if I could, but in PA you can't.

I would have voted Rendell and Matthews as well if it were possible. Hey! Wait a minute! We agree! Smiley
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2006, 05:31:39 PM »

Is Joe Hoeffel a possibility?
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2006, 05:33:32 PM »

I wanted him, but Rendell asked him to drop out because of the possibility of an East-East ticket and Pittsburgh could be pissed.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2006, 05:37:57 PM »

I wanted him, but Rendell asked him to drop out because of the possibility of an East-East ticket and Pittsburgh could be pissed.
Must have made him a deal...what do you think it was?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2006, 08:57:26 PM »

Must have made him a deal...what do you think it was?

I thought it was for Treasurer. Odd how we haven't heard anything about that yet...

If Hoeffel gets the spot and doesn't want to fight Schwartz for the Senate seat, a Gubernatorial candidacy is possible.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2006, 10:03:47 PM »

My Dad said that what contributed in part to Santorums downfall was his supoort of Specter instead of Tommey.

It's something interesting to consider and the only thing I really disagreed with Rick Santorum about, Arlen Specter should have been brought down in the general if he could survive the primary like Chafee (only Pat Toomey is 10X what Laffey will ever be)
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2006, 10:22:32 PM »

It's something interesting to consider and the only thing I really disagreed with Rick Santorum about, Arlen Specter should have been brought down in the general if he could survive the primary like Chafee (only Pat Toomey is 10X what Laffey will ever be)
Run along to bed now, high school starts early tomorrow.
Governor PiT
Robert Stark
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -0.87

« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2006, 03:21:00 PM »

Lou Barletta should run
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length