SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 07, 2024, 04:13:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 93 94 95 [96] 97 98 99 100 101 ... 113
Author Topic: SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed)  (Read 104310 times)
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2375 on: July 18, 2022, 05:27:52 PM »

The right has been arguing that "health of mother" exceptions are simply not necessary and are just a loop hole for elective abortions. McCain infamously placed "health of mother" in air quotes during an '08 debate with Obama.

Those of us old enough to remember the Roe v. Wade decision recall that one of the reasons people pushed for it was to ensure that pregnant women in this type of situation could receive appropriate treatment without there being any legal obstacles.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2376 on: July 18, 2022, 07:12:16 PM »

The right has been arguing that "health of mother" exceptions are simply not necessary and are just a loop hole for elective abortions. McCain infamously placed "health of mother" in air quotes during an '08 debate with Obama.

Those of us old enough to remember the Roe v. Wade decision recall that one of the reasons people pushed for it was to ensure that pregnant women in this type of situation could receive appropriate treatment without there being any legal obstacles.

Yes, and women are back to square again, and experiencing great harm in the process.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2377 on: July 18, 2022, 09:45:21 PM »

Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #2378 on: July 19, 2022, 11:35:39 AM »

Holy crap why is this still pinned lol, where's our inflation megathread?

This only matters to the hyperpartisans on this forum

Yes, clearly only hyperpartisans care about one of the landmark Supreme Court decisions in American history.

People heard "it's the economy, stupid" once and immediately declared themselves political savants who think they know better than everyone else because economic issues are the only issues that could possibly matter and "social issues" (read: any issue that predominantly affects anyone other than straight white dudes) are a meaningless distraction.

We should run in economic issues
OK here’s my plan to extend child tax credits, raise the minimum wage, and revitalize our energy infrastructure.
No no not like that
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2379 on: July 19, 2022, 11:38:23 AM »

Yes, clearly only hyperpartisans care about one of the landmark Supreme Court decisions in American history.

People heard "it's the economy, stupid" once and immediately declared themselves political savants who think they know better than everyone else because economic issues are the only issues that could possibly matter and "social issues" (read: any issue that predominantly affects anyone other than straight white dudes) are a meaningless distraction.

OK here’s my plan to extend child tax credits, raise the minimum wage, and revitalize our energy infrastructure.
No no not like that

Social issues matter when unreasonable policies are causing people serious problems.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #2380 on: July 19, 2022, 12:48:12 PM »

afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2381 on: July 19, 2022, 03:40:35 PM »

Big Pro Life is a sociopathy.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2382 on: July 19, 2022, 03:45:13 PM »

https://thehill.com/homenews/wire/3566060-doctor-who-provided-abortion-to-10-year-old-girl-moves-to-sue-attorney-general-for-defamation/

The doctor in Indiana who provided a medication abortion to the 10 yr old from Ohio is starting the process of suing the Indiana AG for defamation.

She took all the right steps, jumped through all the correct hoops, and still was treated as a liar. Phooey on that. Sue his ass girl!
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2383 on: July 19, 2022, 04:18:44 PM »

I’ve limited sympathy for doctors who know what’s right and fail to do it because the law says otherwise. A significant minority wouldn’t think twice before illegally giving prescription drugs to friends.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #2384 on: July 19, 2022, 04:29:27 PM »

I’ve limited sympathy for doctors who know what’s right and fail to do it because the law says otherwise. A significant minority wouldn’t think twice before illegally giving prescription drugs to friends.

I'm not going to judge someone too harshly for not wanting to throw away their whole life and go to prison for decades just to prove a point. Most of us have families and responsibilities that we need to stay on top of.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2385 on: July 19, 2022, 04:37:21 PM »

I'm not going to judge someone too harshly for not wanting to throw away their whole life and go to prison for decades just to prove a point. Most of us have families and responsibilities that we need to stay on top of.

The doctor’s explanation goes into why the abortion wouldn’t be “just to prove a point” but to reduce harm. I can understand the Just Following Orders mentality here, but doctors who do this, know it’s wrong and then go to the press should use their interviews to centre the harm they did to their patients and admit personal guilt rather than framing their actions as passive/involuntary and themselves as victims.

At the very least, the interviewee should have said “I was not prepared to take the personal risk,” rather than “I couldn’t.”
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #2386 on: July 19, 2022, 06:08:34 PM »
« Edited: July 19, 2022, 06:46:49 PM by Progressive Pessimist »

No no not like that

Social issues matter when unreasonable policies are causing people serious problems.

Exactly. And abortion can be related to economics since it could very well impose a financial burden on a woman and family if she is forced to have a child or experience medical problems from bringing them to term.

Not only that but gas prices and inflation will, in one way or another, be resolved on their own at some point. Reproductive rights are in limbo at best for likely a decade or two at least and will require vigilance on the part of politicians and society to mitigate the consequences of no longer having Roe/Casey.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2387 on: July 19, 2022, 06:36:11 PM »

The doctor’s explanation goes into why the abortion wouldn’t be “just to prove a point” but to reduce harm. I can understand the Just Following Orders mentality here, but doctors who do this, know it’s wrong and then go to the press should use their interviews to centre the harm they did to their patients and admit personal guilt rather than framing their actions as passive/involuntary and themselves as victims.

At the very least, the interviewee should have said “I was not prepared to take the personal risk,” rather than “I couldn’t.”

Someone needs to take responsibility eventually.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2388 on: July 19, 2022, 09:18:39 PM »

Pro-life people don't care. Religious goddamn jihadists everyone. Severing self-righteous pain inducing bastards. F*** them all
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2389 on: July 20, 2022, 07:45:32 AM »

Pro-life people don't care. Religious goddamn jihadists everyone. Severing self-righteous pain inducing bastards. F*** them all

The psychology of these extreme gun libertarians and personhood reactionaries borders on autistic tunneling and perseveration.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2390 on: July 20, 2022, 01:06:27 PM »

First poll on the Kansas abortion amendment- https://coefficient.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/07/KS-VTB-Amendment-7.18.pdf

It appears up by 4%, which is probably close to what a lot of people were expecting.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2391 on: July 20, 2022, 02:47:43 PM »

Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #2392 on: July 20, 2022, 04:04:32 PM »

Saw in the news that Mississippi's last abortion clinic, the Jackson Women's Health Organization, is officially closed and will not reopen. Abortion is now completely unavailable in Mississippi, even in cases where it is theoretically "legal."
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2393 on: July 20, 2022, 04:15:02 PM »

Saw in the news that Mississippi's last abortion clinic, the Jackson Women's Health Organization, is officially closed and will not reopen. Abortion is now completely unavailable in Mississippi, even in cases where it is theoretically "legal."

So this means that females in Mississippi, the religious right, female Republicans, all those in favor of banning abortion cannot have an abortion themselves in their own state. Right?

The implication is that the people in these groups have never had an abortion and will never need one in the future. Right?

Seems to me that these people are shooting themselves in the foot on this issue.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2394 on: July 20, 2022, 04:15:50 PM »

Some of those cases would be performed at a traditional hospital, like for emergency care, right?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #2395 on: July 20, 2022, 04:42:29 PM »
« Edited: July 20, 2022, 07:09:37 PM by 7,052,770 »

Some of those cases would be performed at a traditional hospital, like for emergency care, right?

I'll start with a disclaimer that I'm not an expert on this since luckily we never found ourselves in that situation, but it is my understanding that the 3 big hospitals in Jackson (UMC, St. Dominic, and Baptist) do not perform any type of abortions for any reason, period. In the past this wasn't that big of a deal because the JWHO was a <10 drive from all 3 of them.

Now ... who knows? I assume the state will prevent UMC from performing them, and the other two are explicitly affiliated with religious groups that oppose abortion. So I'm not sure. I would hope that truly life-threatening ones wouldn't be denied, but we've already seen that happening in other states, so we are in uncharted territory.

Also I don't know as much about the hospitals outside of Jackson, other than they tend to be much smaller, and with a few exceptions refer any difficult case to Jackson (or Birmingham, New Orleans, etc.) anyway.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2396 on: July 20, 2022, 08:36:03 PM »
« Edited: July 21, 2022, 05:43:41 AM by Person Man »

I'll start with a disclaimer that I'm not an expert on this since luckily we never found ourselves in that situation, but it is my understanding that the 3 big hospitals in Jackson (UMC, St. Dominic, and Baptist) do not perform any type of abortions for any reason, period. In the past this wasn't that big of a deal because the JWHO was a <10 drive from all 3 of them.

Now ... who knows? I assume the state will prevent UMC from performing them, and the other two are explicitly affiliated with religious groups that oppose abortion. So I'm not sure. I would hope that truly life-threatening ones wouldn't be denied, but we've already seen that happening in other states, so we are in uncharted territory.

Also I don't know as much about the hospitals outside of Jackson, other than they tend to be much smaller, and with a few exceptions refer any difficult case to Jackson (or Birmingham, New Orleans, etc.) anyway.
That’s why a lot of abortion bans/personhood laws don’t have exceptions. What’s the point of them?

The only possible way to ban elective abortions but keep keep access to therapeutic/forensic abortions would be to have a clear, inexpensive, and speedy way to get a permission slip from the State Attorney that shows, by probable cause, that the pregnancy was caused by a felony that the pregnant person is not liable for or at least two from a bar or board appointed state bioethics ethics committee  that affirms that the pregnancy is dangerous or futile. The state would have to allow certain facilities to do it.

What I am trying to say is that there is a way to ban elective abortion without effecting necessary ones  but no one will go for it and any bans will effectively ban all abortions.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2397 on: July 21, 2022, 08:38:39 AM »

https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/21/health/mexico-abortion-assistance-cec/index.html

More Americans who want abortions are turning to Mexico for help.

For decades abortion rights advocates in Mexico looked to the United States as an example of what was possible. The recent US Supreme Court decision left many of them stunned -- and determined to show solidarity and take action.

The last year has brought about a dramatic role reversal. In September 2021, Mexico's Supreme Court decriminalized abortion. And in June 2022, the US Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade, the landmark 1973 ruling that guaranteed legal access to abortion across the country.
"It surprised me that Mexico is going forward, and the United States is going backward," Cruz says. "I never imagined that."

Cruz says she and other advocates in Mexico have been watching closely as an increasing number of US states passed abortion restrictions. And by the time the US Supreme Court decision came down, she says, they were ready to help.

"A beautiful web is being woven so that women can have different options," says Sandra Cardona, who helps run "Red Necesito Abortar" -- Spanish for "I Need to Abort Network" -- from her home in Monterrey, Mexico.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2398 on: July 21, 2022, 09:06:52 AM »

https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/21/health/mexico-abortion-assistance-cec/index.html

More Americans who want abortions are turning to Mexico for help.

For decades abortion rights advocates in Mexico looked to the United States as an example of what was possible. The recent US Supreme Court decision left many of them stunned -- and determined to show solidarity and take action.

The last year has brought about a dramatic role reversal. In September 2021, Mexico's Supreme Court decriminalized abortion. And in June 2022, the US Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade, the landmark 1973 ruling that guaranteed legal access to abortion across the country.
"It surprised me that Mexico is going forward, and the United States is going backward," Cruz says. "I never imagined that."

Cruz says she and other advocates in Mexico have been watching closely as an increasing number of US states passed abortion restrictions. And by the time the US Supreme Court decision came down, she says, they were ready to help.

"A beautiful web is being woven so that women can have different options," says Sandra Cardona, who helps run "Red Necesito Abortar" -- Spanish for "I Need to Abort Network" -- from her home in Monterrey, Mexico.
Well, I guess that’s one way to stop immigration. Abuse people more here while they abuse their people less.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2399 on: July 22, 2022, 11:20:43 PM »

If President Biden (or any future President) were to pull an Andrew Jackson on this court (and render it impotent forever), I doubt there will be much of a backlash.
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 93 94 95 [96] 97 98 99 100 101 ... 113  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies