SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 07:42:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 68 69 70 [71] 72 73 74 75 76 ... 113
Author Topic: SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed)  (Read 103702 times)
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1750 on: June 24, 2022, 09:28:31 PM »

This decision is only ging to drive younger people further and further away from religion. You do realise that?

Four people to date have recommended this, none of which have a history of caring what God might thing enough to change their mind on an issue.  I take these assessments with a grain of salt.  

Well I mean, I would expect a Trump coup supporter to just refuse to believe facts and evidence
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1751 on: June 24, 2022, 09:31:45 PM »

The Lord is all-seeing, all-knowing. It is perfectly possible He has arranged for this to happen. I can't say anything certain either way of course.

So why do you say God is a He? You don't know that. He could be a She or an It, or in Its own category.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1752 on: June 24, 2022, 09:33:33 PM »

The Lord is all-seeing, all-knowing. It is perfectly possible He has arranged for this to happen. I can't say anything certain either way of course.

So why do you say God is a He? You don't know that. He could be a She or an It, or in Its own category.
When I use He for God, I do not mean human biological He. God is above all that. I am not a Christian as well, so I don't personally think linking the two makes any sense at all (from the perspective of my belief system, anyway. feel free to believe what you want to believe).
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #1753 on: June 24, 2022, 09:34:53 PM »

how can u guys believe god must care or have a "plan" lol

imagine being able to believe the final destination of all things that have ever lived isn't endless torment at the hands of interdimensional demons. must be nice.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #1754 on: June 24, 2022, 09:56:26 PM »

This decision is only ging to drive younger people further and further away from religion. You do realise that?

Four people to date have recommended this, none of which have a history of caring what God might thing enough to change their mind on an issue.  I take these assessments with a grain of salt.  

I can assure you that God's reputation is in the toilet, especially among younger people in this country, and it's "Christians" who have put it there. Prominent Christians in this country made the decision a while back to whore themselves and their faith out for worldly influence, and because of that sin, Christianity in the US is now often seen as a brand or cultural identity rather than a genuine faith. And that's a reputation that all Christians, even the good ones, have to deal with now.

Christians have forgotten what they're here for, and that's to serve others and lead people to Christ. It's not to save the world themselves through political action. Look at Trump, one of the men most responsible for this repeal. He's a hell-bound man. Trump is 76 and will soon die, and the "Christians" who have been kissing his ass for the last few years have never once bothered to attempt to lead that man to Christ. Even worse, they're willing to publicly pretend that he's Christian because they need his influence and power. They're fine with him and his devotees burning in hell if it means they can get some more political power to push whatever their next issue is. It's goddamn disgusting. How can you possibly expect people who don't already agree with you to take anything you say related to God seriously?
super6646
Canada

« Reply #1755 on: June 24, 2022, 10:04:53 PM »

What a ing travesty this can happen in a developed country in the 21st century.

Guarantee many of the same pro-lifers are all about “my body my choice” with the vaccine and demand the gov to stay away from regulating their guns even if lives would be saved. What the hell is going on with the US?
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #1756 on: June 24, 2022, 10:10:59 PM »

Guarantee many of the same pro-lifers are all about “my body my choice” with the vaccine and demand the gov to stay away from regulating their guns even if lives would be saved. What the hell is going on with the US?

tbf the whole "my body, my choice" when it came to COVID restrictions started as something to point out that most pro-choicers were completely fine with giving up bodily autonomy to save other humans when it came to that issue, but not when it comes to an issue that is literally designed to kill humans.
super6646
Canada

« Reply #1757 on: June 24, 2022, 10:13:32 PM »

tbf the whole "my body, my choice" when it came to COVID restrictions started as something to point out that most pro-choicers were completely fine with giving up bodily autonomy to save other humans when it came to that issue, but not when it comes to an issue that is literally designed to kill humans.

An abortion is strictly a matter for the person dealing with it. A vaccine is a rather minor inconvenience at worse for 99.99% of people that has a tremendous utilitarian purpose for society as a whole, and not doing so was to a detriment for 0 rational reasoning besides “well I don’t trust the experts”. I don’t see the comparison whatsoever. Just being selfish in the worst of ways in both cases.
Fuzzy Bear Loves Christian Missionaries
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1758 on: June 24, 2022, 10:16:00 PM »

I can assure you that God's reputation is in the toilet, especially among younger people in this country, and it's "Christians" who have put it there. Prominent Christians in this country made the decision a while back to whore themselves and their faith out for worldly influence, and because of that sin, Christianity in the US is now often seen as a brand or cultural identity rather than a genuine faith. And that's a reputation that all Christians, even the good ones, have to deal with now.

Christians have forgotten what they're here for, and that's to serve others and lead people to Christ. It's not to save the world themselves through political action. Look at Trump, one of the men most responsible for this repeal. He's a hell-bound man. Trump is 76 and will soon die, and the "Christians" who have been kissing his ass for the last few years have never once bothered to attempt to lead that man to Christ. Even worse, they're willing to publicly pretend that he's Christian because they need his influence and power. They're fine with him and his devotees burning in hell if it means they can get some more political power to push whatever their next issue is. It's goddamn disgusting. How can you possibly expect people who don't already agree with you to take anything you say related to God seriously?

I've heard this from you already.  We agree on some subjects, but not this one.

"The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction."
Proverbs 1:7, KJV.  The word "fool" has a powerful meaning in Scripture, implying someone who is both unreasonable and unteachable.  If people are beginning to think that maybe they're not on God's Side on this issue, that is all to the good.  I hope their discomfort grows to the point to where they cry out to God, who is lovingly waiting for them to come.
super6646
Canada

« Reply #1759 on: June 24, 2022, 10:16:42 PM »

"The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction."
Proverbs 1:7, KJV.  The word "fool" has a powerful meaning in Scripture, implying someone who is both unreasonable and unteachable.  If people are beginning to think that maybe they're not on God's Side on this issue, that is all to the good.  I hope their discomfort grows to the point to where they cry out to God, who is lovingly waiting for them to come.

Yes loving things make you fear them. Good to know smh
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #1760 on: June 24, 2022, 10:19:32 PM »

That has nothing to do with what I said.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #1761 on: June 24, 2022, 10:20:34 PM »

An abortion is strictly a matter for the person dealing with it. A vaccine is a rather minor inconvenience at worse for 99.99% of people that has a tremendous utilitarian purpose for society as a whole. I don’t see the comparison whatsoever.

Abortion is a pretty big deal for the person in the womb whose most fundamental human right is being stripped from them.

I'm also not even anti-vax, nor was I anti-COVID restrictions in the early stages of the pandemic. It would be hypocritical of me to say women shouldn't get abortions because it kills living humans for purely selfish purposes, but people should be free to do whatever they want and not be subject to any restrictions in a worldwide pandemic when no vaccine exists yet.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1762 on: June 24, 2022, 10:21:58 PM »

An abortion is strictly a matter for the person dealing with it. A vaccine is a rather minor inconvenience at worse for 99.99% of people that has a tremendous utilitarian purpose for society as a whole, and not doing so was to a detriment for 0 rational reasoning besides “well I don’t trust the experts”. I don’t see the comparison whatsoever. Just being selfish in the worst of ways in both cases.

One person that dealt with the issue of abortion was my grandchild who died in an abortion.  That child would be 20 years old now.  That child felt pain before they died; pain that you would Constitutionally object to if it were felt by a convicted murderer, and pain that you would have more pity for if it were suffered by an unborn animal.

What would you say to that unborn child as they felt the pain death by abortion brings?

I don't get maudlin about this subject, but I'm certainly thinking about it today.  My unborn grandchild is with Jesus for Eternity and has no memory of the pain.  That does not justify the actions of humans on this Earth.  
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1763 on: June 24, 2022, 10:22:31 PM »

Based Tony Evers said that he won't appoint any DAs who will enforce any ban on abortion and he'll immediately pardon anyone charged with a crime for one.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1764 on: June 24, 2022, 10:27:40 PM »

Let the reader decide.  I'm sorry that my religious convictions didn't lead me to vote the way you'd like me to, but my reasoning is far more consistent and Biblical than those who argue that a Biblical Christian ought to have voted for Biden. 

The Biden Administration has unleashed the Forces of Mordor against the church.  They are actively anti-Christian, not just passively.  Voting is a choice between two (2) individuals, not an endorsement of that candidate's every issue position.  I have no regrets as to my 2016 and 2020 votes. 
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #1765 on: June 24, 2022, 10:28:48 PM »

Back on topic.
longtimelurker

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: 2.43

« Reply #1766 on: June 24, 2022, 10:34:17 PM »

What a sad day for this country. I shudder to think about what's next. Will the Court overturn marriage equality? I assume that will be the next challenge, if it isn't already in the works.

Same sex relations, contraception, school integration,

And maybe the economic issues as well, social security, Medicare,

The whole new deal paradigm is at risk.

I would like to add Epperson v. Arkansas, Edwards v. Aguillard, and other decisions which forbade public schools to teach "creationism" as science.  Get ready for the fundamentalist interpretation of the Noachian deluge to be given equal time with geology and biology in taxpayer-funded schools in the majority of states.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1767 on: June 24, 2022, 10:36:34 PM »

Based Tony Evers said that he won't appoint any DAs who will enforce any ban on abortion and he'll immediately pardon anyone charged with a crime for one.

As long as that Pathetic Worm is defeated at the polls this year I'm fine with that.  It's a salvo against the Rule of Law, but God is bigger than that pathetic nerd (whom I actually endorsed in 2018). 
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #1768 on: June 24, 2022, 10:38:06 PM »
« Edited: June 24, 2022, 10:49:20 PM by Adam Griffin »

All Democrats (especially at the state level) have to do is start yelling "Marbury v. Madison" and/or "judicial review" - or what? Is the Supreme Court going to send in its army?

This country has been on Terri Schiavo levels of life support for the past 40 years. Let's just get it over with now. Who's going to win, after all: the tightly-clustered and defensible population centers allied with multinational corporations who actually own most of the land, food, water and utility operations alongside the educated people who actually fly the drones, turn the keys and drop the bombs, or....the rubes whose Walmarts, pharmacies, utilities and grocery stores can be red-zoned, along with those who spent 20 weeks in basic/AIT and/or can shoot at planes with 1% accuracy?
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #1769 on: June 24, 2022, 10:42:23 PM »

As long as that Pathetic Worm is defeated at the polls this year I'm fine with that.  It's a salvo against the Rule of Law, but God is bigger than that pathetic nerd (whom I actually endorsed in 2018). 

Schoolyard bully talk wrapped in a flag and a cross does not civil dialogue make, nor does it lead by example, nor does it serve as a positive model of Christianity that is appealing to younger generations.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #1770 on: June 24, 2022, 10:46:26 PM »

I've heard this from you already.  We agree on some subjects, but not this one.

Proverbs 1:7, KJV.  The word "fool" has a powerful meaning in Scripture, implying someone who is both unreasonable and unteachable.  If people are beginning to think that maybe they're not on God's Side on this issue, that is all to the good.  I hope their discomfort grows to the point to where they cry out to God, who is lovingly waiting for them to come.

"The fear of the LORD" here refers to Trump, just in case you missed it.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #1771 on: June 24, 2022, 10:47:38 PM »

Let the reader decide.  I'm sorry that my religious convictions didn't lead me to vote the way you'd like me to, but my reasoning is far more consistent and Biblical than those who argue that a Biblical Christian ought to have voted for Biden. 

The Biden Administration has unleashed the Forces of Mordor against the church.  They are actively anti-Christian, not just passively.  Voting is a choice between two (2) individuals, not an endorsement of that candidate's every issue position.  I have no regrets as to my 2016 and 2020 votes. 

I'm not talking about voting, I'm talking about exploiting the name of Jesus Christ for political power and deliberately ignoring their Christian obligations in order to maintain worldly power.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #1772 on: June 24, 2022, 10:47:51 PM »

If D's win in 22)24)26 whenever they get the next D Fillibuster proof Trifecta they are gonna have to expand the Crt, they don't want to but the pressure is gonna be so great that we need Kruger and Child's not 13 judges
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1773 on: June 24, 2022, 10:49:30 PM »

Solid you do know that you can just post in the thread, right? You don't need to tweet it and then repost the tweets into the thread.

So in order to preserve "abortion rights", a scumbag like Ben Jealous would be willing to pursue criminal charges against an American Citizen (Brett Kavanaugh) for which there would actually not be Probable Cause (let alone be able to swear in an information that they would be able to prove the case beyond a reasonable doubt at trial).  That's interesting; the degree to which people will go to in order to protect this Sacred Cow.

I'm just wondering if the poster has thought this out.  I'm just wondering if people actually think this is a great idea.  I'm just wondering if people think that taking this approach on abortion could not be used in reverse by conservatives against liberals.  After all, when you throw out the Probable Cause standard for initiating charges, what CAN'T one get arrested for?

This is truly a lunatic idea that I hope is confined to a limited group of posters.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1774 on: June 24, 2022, 10:51:54 PM »

I'm not talking about voting, I'm talking about exploiting the name of Jesus Christ for political power and deliberately ignoring their Christian obligations in order to maintain worldly power.

That's not what I'm about, and my personal life proves that.

That's frankly not what my church is like.  I would not belong to an overtly political church.  There is a point where Scripture demands that one take a position on public issues, and abortion is certainly one of those.
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 68 69 70 [71] 72 73 74 75 76 ... 113  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies