SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 12:50:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 47 48 49 [50] 51 52 53 54 55 ... 113
Author Topic: SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed)  (Read 103364 times)
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1225 on: May 09, 2022, 05:48:44 AM »

Just gonna drop this right here.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2014/06/26/325806464/states-cant-mandate-buffer-zones-around-abortion-clinics-high-court-says
Yoda
United States

« Reply #1226 on: May 09, 2022, 05:49:42 AM »

Were these home addresses previously a secret? That seems unlikely. You can find anyone's home address within a few minutes if you know what to Google.

Now, is it appropriate to go do a protest in a neighborhood? Not really. It's disrespectful to the other people living nearby. But is it a "leak" ? Is a 1/6-level incitement of violence? Please...

Anecdotal, but I saw a twitter thread where someone at the protests said that Kavanaugh's own neighbors were claiming responsibility for having organized the protest. If true, would seem to somewhat negate that argument.
Yoda
United States

« Reply #1227 on: May 09, 2022, 05:56:30 AM »

Goodbye Roe! This should have happened decades ago!

Why? Are you a female? Do you want the government telling you how to manage your body? Truly?

Or, if you are not a female, how come you think you have a right to tell women how to manage their bodies? Would you like the government to tell you how to manage yours? Truly?

Abortion is legalized murder. Why are you pro-murder?

This "logic" rests upon the belief that a fetus - or an even tinier clump of cells - is a person. There are about a million miscarriages in the US per year. Have you ever been to a funeral for a miscarried fetus? Ever even hear of one happening in your entire life? Eagerly awaiting your response.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #1228 on: May 09, 2022, 05:59:36 AM »
« Edited: May 09, 2022, 06:03:30 AM by tack50 »

I do not know if releasing someone's address is a crime or not in the US; but I will say that when inevitably a bunch of trumpists start protesting at Pelosi's house or whatever for some dumb reason the people using the "this is legitimate protest" line will use it again.

I don't think that "escraches" as we'd call them are a good or arguably even a legitimate form of protest. Of course this is up for debate and I won't claim there is a right or wrong answer, but if the reverse happens with far right trumpists protesting at the house of Dem politicians, people will have a right to ask for consistency.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1229 on: May 09, 2022, 06:03:12 AM »

I do not know if releasing someone's address is a crime or not in the US; but I will say that when inevitably a bunch of trumpists start protesting at Pelosi's house or whatever for some dumb reason the people using the "this is legitimate protest" line will use it again.

I don't think that "escraches" as we'd call them are a goor or arguably even a legitimate form of protest. Of course this is up for debate and I won't claim there is a right or wrong answer, but if the reverse happens with far right trumpists protesting at the house of Dem politicians, people will have a right to ask for consistency.
Interesting. I didn't know there was a specific English word for something like this.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #1230 on: May 09, 2022, 06:06:42 AM »

The people who leaked this need to be arrested and throw in prison for years

For what crime?

For leaking the address of supremes court justices . The police also should be sent to clear that neighborhood out

Your side may get its way in overturning Roe, but you don't get to overturn the First Amendment as well. That would invite war.

This is undermining the free and fair judicial process, and clear example of intimidation

Where do you stand on Jan. 6th protesters being put in jail?

Pretty much all of of us who dont think January 6th was insurrection nonetheless support prosecuting and jailing those who rioted and committed crimes. Fighting cops, breaking windows, disrupting a public meeting, all violent crimes. Not sure if all the justices live in VA but here it is illegal to picket a specific residence since thats also a menacing act.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1231 on: May 09, 2022, 06:09:58 AM »

Why? Are you a female? Do you want the government telling you how to manage your body? Truly?

Or, if you are not a female, how come you think you have a right to tell women how to manage their bodies? Would you like the government to tell you how to manage yours? Truly?

This "logic" rests upon the belief that a fetus - or an even tinier clump of cells - is a person. There are about a million miscarriages in the US per year. Have you ever been to a funeral for a miscarried fetus? Ever even hear of one happening in your entire life? Eagerly awaiting your response.

I know a few women who miscarried and were much more devasted than your dismissive response suggests.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1232 on: May 09, 2022, 06:12:02 AM »

I don't think that "escraches" as we'd call them are a good or arguably even a legitimate form of protest. Of course this is up for debate and I won't claim there is a right or wrong answer, but if the reverse happens with far right trumpists protesting at the house of Dem politicians, people will have a right to ask for consistency.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frisby_v._Schultz

Governments are allowed to prohibit picketing a specific residence. Thats the law in Virginia.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1233 on: May 09, 2022, 06:15:21 AM »

Governments are allowed to prohibit picketing a specific residence. Thats the law in Virginia.
Does this mean that the pickets outside John Roberts' house could be illegal? Iirc, he was a resident of the state of Virginia.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1234 on: May 09, 2022, 06:17:39 AM »

Does this mean that the pickets outside John Roberts' house could be illegal? Iirc, he was a resident of the state of Virginia.

If their police and commonwealths attorneys are willing to enforce it. The first bill i ever wrote that got introduced in the state legislature was an attempt to modify it that got tabled.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1235 on: May 09, 2022, 06:18:38 AM »

If their police and commonwealths attorneys are willing to enforce it. The first bill i ever wrote that got introduced in the state legislature was an attempt to modify it that got tabled.
It would seem that Jason Miyares would likely have interest in enforcing this, if it was his decision to do so.
Yoda
United States

« Reply #1236 on: May 09, 2022, 06:36:44 AM »

For what crime?

For leaking the address of supremes court justices . The police also should be sent to clear that neighborhood out

Your side may get its way in overturning Roe, but you don't get to overturn the First Amendment as well. That would invite war.

This is undermining the free and fair judicial process, and clear example of intimidation

Pretty much all of of us who dont think January 6th was insurrection nonetheless support prosecuting and jailing those who rioted and committed crimes. Fighting cops, breaking windows, disrupting a public meeting, all violent crimes. Not sure if all the justices live in VA but here it is illegal to picket a specific residence since thats also a menacing act.

Good to hear, but this is not what I asked. I asked if he supports Jan. 6th protesters being put in jail, ie the ones who walked around outside but did not violently enter the capitol.
Yoda
United States

« Reply #1237 on: May 09, 2022, 06:38:30 AM »

I know a few women who miscarried and were much more devasted than your dismissive response suggests.

You completely misread that if you think I was being dismissive of miscarriages and not his argument that "abortion is legalized murder."
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1238 on: May 09, 2022, 06:39:00 AM »

This is horrible what people do to people in this situation. That’s why pregnancies aren’t revealed until the second trimester as much as possible. People aren’t responsible with this.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1239 on: May 09, 2022, 09:13:47 AM »

Haha, it was organized by his neighbors.

lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1240 on: May 09, 2022, 09:15:51 AM »

Haha, it was organized by his neighbors.

In the past, a few of Wooten-Holway’s protests against Kavanaugh were mistakenly held in front of the wrong house. She wonders why no one on that street set her straight.

By one neighbor who invited a bunch of outsiders and didn't even know the correct house.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #1241 on: May 09, 2022, 09:28:11 AM »

Protesters outside a reactionary nutjobs house: "Call the National Guard!!"
Protesters outside a women's clinic: "Freedom of Assembly!"
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #1242 on: May 09, 2022, 10:31:47 AM »

Tell us you don't respect women who experienced a miscarriage without telling us you don't respect women who experienced a miscarriage. 

No mentally stable woman experiences a miscarriage thinks "oh well, it was just a clump of cells", and you're disgusting for suggesting that's the case.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1243 on: May 09, 2022, 10:33:08 AM »

Tell us you don't respect women who experienced a miscarriage without telling us you don't respect women who experienced a miscarriage. 

No mentally stable woman experiences a miscarriage thinks "oh well, it was just a clump of cells", and you're disgusting for suggesting that's the case.

And a lot of women who are expecting wait a while before they tell family.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #1244 on: May 09, 2022, 10:49:48 AM »

For what crime?

No problem with it whatsoever and also think the capitol rioters should be in prison for years
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1245 on: May 09, 2022, 10:59:29 AM »

I've made my stance clear regarding riots, threats of violence, and protesting outside the homes of politicians.

National Democrats have also, repeatedly, consistently, loudly, been clear on this.

But that doesn't stop right-wingers from simply lying even more repeatedly, loudly and consistently.  For everyone one speech Joe Biden gives saying "don't engage in violence, don't send threats, etc." you have six hundred Republicans delivering monologues saying "Joe Biden is encouraging violence, telling people to send threats, etc."

If lying had any consequences whatsoever, the Republican Party would cease to exist tomorrow.  The entire party is built on lies.  Their entire political strategy is built on lies.  Their entire ideology is a big fat lie.  They lied about their convictions regarding the confirmation process, twice, to get Gorsuch and ACB onto the Supreme Court.  They lied on Kavanaugh's behalf and allowed him to repeatedly commit perjury to get him on the court.  They encouraged all three justices to lie about their plans regarding abortion to get on the court, and then lied that they believed those justices when they were lying.  Even now they're lying to our faces about their plans regarding abortion laws and how they intend to abuse Samuel Alito's ruling, which itself is packed full of lies.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1246 on: May 09, 2022, 11:22:19 AM »

In addition to the fact that the Alito moving story turned out to be fake to just put this outrage over the peaceful home protesting into perspective
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #1247 on: May 09, 2022, 12:38:40 PM »

In addition to the fact that the Alito moving story turned out to be fake to just put this outrage over the peaceful home protesting into perspective

Not to mention the many parents of trans kids having to flee Texas, etc.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1248 on: May 09, 2022, 12:51:06 PM »

Chip chip chipping away....
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #1249 on: May 09, 2022, 01:10:34 PM »

As usual, the left takes every measure possible to make it so difficult to agree with their highly reasonable request. Great job winning people over.
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 47 48 49 [50] 51 52 53 54 55 ... 113  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies