SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 02:53:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 50 51 ... 113
Author Topic: SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed)  (Read 102680 times)
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1125 on: May 08, 2022, 07:20:21 AM »

More proof that Republicans should put Mark McCloskey on the Supreme Court.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1126 on: May 08, 2022, 08:40:29 AM »

I just noticed that OSR never provided any proof that the address actually got leaked
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #1127 on: May 08, 2022, 09:09:08 AM »

You people do realize it’s very easy to find someone’s address? Most politicians list in their bio. You can go look at Sen. Graham’s house on google earth if you want
Mr. Matt
United States

« Reply #1128 on: May 08, 2022, 09:12:18 AM »

Is leaking a federal judge's house address even against the law (yet)? There were state laws passed in the wake of the murder of the New Jersey judge's son but I don't think one was passed federally yet.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #1129 on: May 08, 2022, 09:21:43 AM »

I just noticed that OSR never provided any proof that the address actually got leaked

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/abortion-rights-group-doxxes-scotus-justices-offers-stipends-for-protests?_amp=true
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #1130 on: May 08, 2022, 09:31:21 AM »

My view on this whole address thing falls somewhere in the middle (shocking, I know).  

Addresses are hard to hide anymore.  And that's not a debate over should be vs. shouldn't be.  Obviously, we then run into the argument over "well if someone tried to leak what was discoverable info anyway, does the intent matter?", but that's beyond my purview.  

I do think that there should be some sort of protection in place to keep people from getting too close to a public servant's private residence, though.  Things are very heated and inflammatory right now.  
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1131 on: May 08, 2022, 09:32:19 AM »

Is leaking a federal judge's house address even against the law (yet)? There were state laws passed in the wake of the murder of the New Jersey judge's son but I don't think one was passed federally yet.
Technicalities like that only matter when it's convenient for Republicans for them to matter.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1132 on: May 08, 2022, 09:46:18 AM »

Republicans cognitive dissonance is remarkable

They really just don’t have brains that function like you’d expect

NYDem
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #1133 on: May 08, 2022, 09:53:48 AM »

The people who leaked this need to be arrested and throw in prison for years
What law did they break?

Supreme Court opinions are not classified. At worst, it's a breach of protocol.

Also, I'm getting rather sick of arguments about the personal comfort of people in prominent positions of public trust. I'm far more interested in the impact their actions have on millions of people than whether Justice Kavanaugh gets a good night's sleep.

They leaked their PERSONAL ADRESSES

Addresses are not private. They are trivial to find. It is impossible to “leak” an address because that information isn’t secret. This isn’t some new thing either. Phone books, city directories, etc. all would include such information. There has never been a time where addresses were assumes to be private.
Former Dean Phillips Supporters for Haley (I guess???!?) 👁️
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1134 on: May 08, 2022, 10:07:09 AM »

My view on this whole address thing falls somewhere in the middle (shocking, I know).  

Addresses are hard to hide anymore.  And that's not a debate over should be vs. shouldn't be.  Obviously, we then run into the argument over "well if someone tried to leak what was discoverable info anyway, does the intent matter?", but that's beyond my purview.  

I do think that there should be some sort of protection in place to keep people from getting too close to a public servant's private residence, though.  Things are very heated and inflammatory right now.

This opinion is far too sensible to be widely adopted. The reason for that is (I think) that you are actually attempting to look at this question of addresses on its own actual merits, without letting the wider political situation and circumstances dictate your response via thoughtless partisanship. In general, that is something that most people will rarely be interested in trying to do.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #1135 on: May 08, 2022, 10:15:47 AM »

Were these home addresses previously a secret? That seems unlikely. You can find anyone's home address within a few minutes if you know what to Google.

Now, is it appropriate to go do a protest in a neighborhood? Not really. It's disrespectful to the other people living nearby. But is it a "leak" ? Is a 1/6-level incitement of violence? Please...
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #1136 on: May 08, 2022, 10:21:38 AM »

Honestly, I don't think Gen-Zers are very familiar with those or grasp how in the recent past, everyone's phone number and address were delivered to everyone annually. (Yes, it was possible to get yourself "unlisted," but the vast majority of people were in there.)
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #1137 on: May 08, 2022, 10:49:38 AM »

Anyone with enough determination can find an address, because they are public information. You can't throw someone in jail for communicating what is already information and you certainly can't do it just for protesting outside someone's house. What happened to free speech?
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1138 on: May 08, 2022, 11:01:09 AM »
« Edited: May 08, 2022, 11:07:43 AM by Antifacist Ghost of Ruin »

Since when is a person's address classified material and above the level for people to protest? Just say you want a new restriction on First Amendment rights.

No I think they have all the right to protest but a large group of people descending on your neighborhood could absolutely intimidate the justices into making a decision which would undermine the judicial process.

I will say this the national guard should be sent in to protect their homes to ensure these protesters can’t step a foot on private property

Calm down and unclutch your pearls. The justices have protesters outside their offices most days of their careers. There are plenty of police present.

"Send in the National Guard". Roll Eyes You truly are driven to hysterics easily.

I don't think that's an entirely fair criticism of OSR. He does belong to a political party that believes mob justice and assassination of political opponents (especially Supreme Court Justices) are acceptable. And Republicans (of Gilead) are very well know for their projection; many "conservatives" likely believe that liberals would do the same thing they would in this situation: storm the court and try to kill opposing justices.

Edit: Links added lest I be accused of being engaged in excessive hyperbole.
ConservativeRepublican
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.74, S: 1.91

P P
« Reply #1139 on: May 08, 2022, 11:05:25 AM »

Goodbye Roe! This should have happened decades ago!
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1140 on: May 08, 2022, 11:26:13 AM »

Why? Are you a female? Do you want the government telling you how to manage your body? Truly?

Or, if you are not a female, how come you think you have a right to tell women how to manage their bodies? Would you like the government to tell you how to manage yours? Truly?
ConservativeRepublican
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1141 on: May 08, 2022, 11:27:08 AM »

Why? Are you a female? Do you want the government telling you how to manage your body? Truly?

Or, if you are not a female, how come you think you have a right to tell women how to manage their bodies? Would you like the government to tell you how to manage yours? Truly?

Abortion is legalized murder. Why are you pro-murder?
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #1142 on: May 08, 2022, 11:30:27 AM »

Murder is based sometimes. Without it, we'd still have John Lennon.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1143 on: May 08, 2022, 11:32:55 AM »

God bless
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1144 on: May 08, 2022, 11:35:00 AM »

The person who "doxxed" Kavanaugh and organized the protest outside his house is his next-door neighbor. I don't think she broke any laws to find out where he lives.

In the past, a few of Wooten-Holway’s protests against Kavanaugh were mistakenly held in front of the wrong house. She wonders why no one on that street set her straight.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2022/05/07/wooten-holway-protest-justice-kavanaugh-neighbor/?msclkid=b0905522ceec11ec988594cb0d0c1d3b
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1145 on: May 08, 2022, 11:36:20 AM »

Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #1146 on: May 08, 2022, 11:37:55 AM »

I believe the typical thing in these incidents is to knee-jerk blame it on a false flag attack?
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1147 on: May 08, 2022, 11:42:09 AM »
« Edited: May 08, 2022, 11:45:29 AM by hermit »

Frankly I never thought I'd see the day that we'd be going backwards in our evolution, but then, when it comes to women and women's bodies, our country (and most of the world) wants to rule over our womenfolk and that's that. Maybe it's part of the "protection" mentality, maybe it's part of the "fear of God" mentality, maybe governments believe that they have the right to tell women how to act, what to think, how to treat their bodies, basically how to live.

Oh well, I think it's just the pendulum swinging the other way, for now. There are too many problems associated with the abortion debate. Too many people have too many differing opinions, and until we all sit down and get clear on what we want to stand for as a country, we will continue to have this confusion, not only about abortion but also about what freedom means.

Because that is what is truly at stake here: personal freedom vs government oppression.
ConservativeRepublican
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1148 on: May 08, 2022, 11:43:42 AM »

Democrats are violent thugs.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1149 on: May 08, 2022, 11:44:16 AM »

Who says it's murder? You?
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 50 51 ... 113  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies