WV-SEN 2024: Manchin out, Justice for All
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:45:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  WV-SEN 2024: Manchin out, Justice for All
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 19
Author Topic: WV-SEN 2024: Manchin out, Justice for All  (Read 23559 times)
Spectator
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #250 on: April 19, 2023, 01:18:14 PM »

I will not stop laughing if Manchin somehow underperforms Biden because a lack of D enthusiasm. It would be a fitting end and apt punishment for him blocking so much.

He’s been DOA since his November 7, 2018. You’d think he would’ve been smart enough to sense that this was his last term no matter what and start voting like he represented San Francisco.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #251 on: April 19, 2023, 01:22:02 PM »

I will not stop laughing if Manchin somehow underperforms Biden because a lack of D enthusiasm. It would be a fitting end and apt punishment for him blocking so much.

He’s been DOA since his November 7, 2018. You’d think he would’ve been smart enough to sense that this was his last term no matter what and start voting like he represented San Francisco.

This has been obvious to every American other than Joe Manchin, one wonders if he is just dumb or delusional or both.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #252 on: April 19, 2023, 01:31:19 PM »

This has been obvious to every American other than Joe Manchin, one wonders if he is just dumb or delusional or both.

The guy just seems completely out of time. He still think it's the ol' days were senate races were far more about the person running rather than partisanship. He also acts like the senate was the place from 30-40 years ago and that Republicans besides Romney and Murk are willing to get much done if you just give them enough. He's a politician with a 1970s mind. It can't be his age since Biden and Schumer learned their lessons from recent years.

However, I expect Manchin to do better than Biden, although it's a low bar. As of today, I'd say he loses something like 59-39%.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #253 on: April 19, 2023, 01:59:09 PM »

The guy just seems completely out of time. He still think it's the ol' days were senate races were far more about the person running rather than partisanship. He also acts like the senate was the place from 30-40 years ago and that Republicans besides Romney and Murk are willing to get much done if you just give them enough. He's a politician with a 1970s mind. It can't be his age since Biden and Schumer learned their lessons from recent years.

However, I expect Manchin to do better than Biden, although it's a low bar. As of today, I'd say he loses something like 59-39%.
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.48, S: 1.30

« Reply #254 on: April 19, 2023, 02:10:48 PM »

GOP drops $1M on Manchin as Justice preps run

Republicans are starting their attacks against Manchin early. Gov. Justice will likely announce his Senate campaign before this month ends.

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/04/19/manchin-justice-gop-election-00092629

Republican group One Nation, which is aligned with Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, is unloading more than $1 million on a campaign hitting Manchin for supporting Democrats’ marquee party-line bill last year, according to details shared with POLITICO. Simultaneously, a strategist close to GOP Gov. Jim Justice said that the governor has made up his mind and will likely launch his Senate campaign before the end of the month.
Republican group One Nation, which is aligned with Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, is unloading more than $1 million on a campaign hitting Manchin for supporting Democrats’ marquee party-line bill last year, according to details shared with POLITICO. Simultaneously, a strategist close to GOP Gov. Jim Justice said that the governor has made up his mind and will likely launch his Senate campaign before the end of the month.
Manchin has not yet announced his own reelection plans, saying he won’t decide on his future until the end of the year. In the meantime, he’s fighting openly with the Biden administration over its implementation of the law he helped write, dinging a missed deadline on stricter sourcing requirements for electric vehicles. On Tuesday he called new EPA emission standards “dangerous.”
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #255 on: April 19, 2023, 02:31:23 PM »

As I've mentioned before, Manchin's voting behavior would make sense if you look at the special interest donations he's taken. According to OpenSecrets, only about 3% of his campaign contributions are from small individual donors (<$200), while large contributions and PAC contributions combine to comprise over 93% of his campaign contributions. With those kinds of donations, it should hardly be a surprise that he votes in accordance with the wishes of his special interest donors instead of his constituents.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #256 on: April 19, 2023, 04:12:56 PM »

I mean, I’d vote for Justice over Manchin in a second.  That’s an easy one!
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #257 on: April 19, 2023, 04:25:06 PM »
« Edited: April 19, 2023, 04:29:25 PM by Mr.Barkari Sellers »

Manchin hasn't decided on running and that's affecting his a Approvals, so put that into perspectie

Justice is hugely POPULISR just like Reagan was Popular over Carter not Kennedy but RS not Ds voted in the D prim and voted for Carter the weaker nominee

Just  like now Indies are voting for Trump not DeSantis
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
Shaula
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #258 on: April 20, 2023, 08:27:28 AM »

No idea why Mooney is running to get clobbered by Justice. He's in a safe R seat. Well, at least Riley Moore will be an upgrade still.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #259 on: April 20, 2023, 08:36:02 AM »

No idea why Mooney is running to get clobbered by Justice. He's in a safe R seat. Well, at least Riley Moore will be an upgrade still.

To be fair I don’t think anyone, Mooney included, was expecting Justice to run until the rumors started coming out shortly after the midterms.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #260 on: April 20, 2023, 09:07:53 AM »

To be fair I don’t think anyone, Mooney included, was expecting Justice to run until the rumors started coming out shortly after the midterms.

Wasn't that kind of logical to assume? Anyways, it's not unusual candidates running with literally zero chance to win.
Babeuf

« Reply #261 on: April 20, 2023, 09:18:37 AM »

He/CfG probably see an opening through attacking Justice as a former Dem and not conservative enough. I see very little chance of this succeeding though, WV is the wrong state for it and Justice has an established brand.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #262 on: April 20, 2023, 10:29:15 AM »

Wasn't that kind of logical to assume? Anyways, it's not unusual candidates running with literally zero chance to win.

Because of Justice’s age, the idea of him running was widely seen more as wishcasting than something that would actually happen. He wasn’t seen as particularly likely to run until last November or December.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #263 on: April 20, 2023, 10:56:50 AM »

Incase there was any lingering questions about Manchin's intentions.

Spectator
United States

« Reply #264 on: April 20, 2023, 10:59:26 AM »

What a sad end to a career. He might set the new record for an incumbent losing in the modern era.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #265 on: April 20, 2023, 11:11:35 AM »

At this point, I am rooting for Manchin to lose. I want to retain the majority, but I also want his brand of politics to die, and fast.
Unbeatable Titan Susan Collins
johnzaharoff

« Reply #266 on: April 20, 2023, 11:15:20 AM »

At this point, I am rooting for Manchin to lose. I want to retain the majority, but I also want his brand of politics to die, and fast.

Mitch McConnell thanks you for your support. 
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #267 on: April 20, 2023, 01:21:29 PM »

Mitch McConnell thanks you for your support. 

Mitch McConnell can thank deez nuts. Democrats shouldn't put our entire agenda on pause because a guy who's doomed to lose re-election doesn't want to lose his self-importance.
AncestralDemocrat.
United States

« Reply #268 on: April 21, 2023, 05:43:48 PM »

Junior Chimp

« Reply #269 on: April 21, 2023, 06:12:13 PM »

Because of Justice’s age, the idea of him running was widely seen more as wishcasting than something that would actually happen. He wasn’t seen as particularly likely to run until last November or December.
Age wasn't the Problem here! The Problem was for the last two Cycles Republicans & the NRSC had a massiv problem and inability to recruit popular Republican Governors.

Look who all passed on Senate Runs in 2022 in particular: Doug Ducey, Larry Hogan, Chris Sununu, etc. They all passed on Runs because of DONALD TRUMP.

Compare that to the Pre Trump Aera where they recruited John Hoeven, Mike Rounds, etc.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #270 on: April 21, 2023, 09:11:02 PM »

Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
Shaula
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #271 on: April 22, 2023, 10:19:25 AM »

And Mooney joins the rank of successful Republican 2022 Senate candidates Josh Mandel, Mo Brooks and David McCormick...
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #272 on: April 23, 2023, 12:57:29 PM »

Justice is the likely GOP nominee.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #273 on: April 24, 2023, 09:36:54 PM »

Joe Manchin has resorted to trashing his own bill. As the comments make note of, the obvious rejoinder here is why did he ever vote for it then. Perhaps an interesting exercise in how to create attack ads for your opponent.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #274 on: April 24, 2023, 10:43:59 PM »

Endorsed
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 19  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length