Will Volodymyr Zelenskyy be regarded in Ukraine the same way Abraham Lincoln is in the US?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 18, 2024, 06:19:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Will Volodymyr Zelenskyy be regarded in Ukraine the same way Abraham Lincoln is in the US?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Will Volodymyr Zelenskyy be regarded in Ukraine the same way Abraham Lincoln is in the US?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 52

Author Topic: Will Volodymyr Zelenskyy be regarded in Ukraine the same way Abraham Lincoln is in the US?  (Read 1899 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 29, 2022, 01:05:22 AM »

I honestly think yes. There will be monuments and statutes of him in Kyiv standing in 2100.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2022, 02:19:44 AM »
« Edited: April 29, 2022, 02:24:39 AM by Southern Delegate Punxsutawney Phil »

This assumes there still will be a Ukrainian state in 2100.
What the world will look like in 2100 is unknowable.
We are roughly eighty years until 2100. Imagine asking someone in 1940 (roughly eighty years ago) what the world would look like today.
I don't think they'd do a very good job. And mankind has gotten scarcely better at predicting the future.
IF there is an independent Ukraine in 2100, then for sure, there will likely be a Zelensky statue. So I voted yes.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2022, 02:28:16 AM »

This does raise some interesting possibilities about how Zelensky will be remembered. It's highly likely he at some point becomes a figure of folk legend among the Ukrainian people. Maybe at some point he even becomes a bit of an Arthurian figure.
But that's unlikely to happen by 2100. 2300 is a much safer bet.
😥
andjey
Junior Chimp
Ukraine
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2022, 02:28:52 AM »

Yes, very likely
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2022, 02:30:39 AM »

Also with the recent Lend-Lease passage I wonder if Biden will be seen as a Ukrainian hero too similar to Rutherford Hayes in Paraguay.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2022, 02:34:00 AM »

Also with the recent Lend-Lease passage I wonder if Biden will be seen as a Ukrainian hero too similar to Rutherford Hayes in Paraguay.
Alongside Boris Johnson. But yes, it's quite possible. What the Ukrainian politicians of 2100 see it fit to memorialize and emphasize are going to be quite relevant here.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2022, 02:49:23 AM »

Yeah as much as I despise him there's no denying that Boris Johnson (as well as Macron) will be very fondly remembered in Ukraine. I suspect that we'll see quite a few streets named after Johnson, Macron and Biden in the coming years.
😥
andjey
Junior Chimp
Ukraine
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2022, 05:22:50 AM »

Yeah as much as I despise him there's no denying that Boris Johnson (as well as Macron) will be very fondly remembered in Ukraine. I suspect that we'll see quite a few streets named after Johnson, Macron and Biden in the coming years.
Disagree big time about Macron. As far as I can say, in Ukraine now 99% love Boris Johnson, 75% love Joe Biden and maybe about 20% love Macron.

In general, I would say that Johnson is now our most popular foreign politician. At the same time, I would call Scholz and Orban the most unpopular leaders of the West here. In general, people in Ukraine now have the best attitude towards the Baltic states, Poland, Britain and the United States; worst to Hungary, Germany and Austria. I would say that every time Ukrainians (and this is quite often) with great pain endure the statements of various Western public officials about the "need to work with Russia after the war" or "the inability to give up Russian energy" and so on. And such statements, when they are once again made by Western politicians, clearly do not contribute to their popularity here
Yeahsayyeah

Political Matrix
E: -9.25, S: -8.15

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2022, 05:30:30 AM »

There probably won't be statues of Olaf Scholz, that's for sure.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2022, 05:33:54 AM »

There probably won't be statues of Olaf Scholz, that's for sure.
No no, you have it all wrong. There'd be statues of him in every town square in every major city in Ukraine. And they'll name airports after him too.
This will all be real.
(as real as Bielefeld)
Yeahsayyeah

Political Matrix
E: -9.25, S: -8.15

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2022, 06:34:29 AM »

I stand corrected, there will be statues of Olaf Scholz at the mystic and mythic places of Bielefeld and Azovstal.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2022, 07:28:00 AM »

In reality, of course Scholz hasn't been anything like as bad as Orban.

But his messaging has been genuinely awful, and that's what most Ukrainians will notice (its pretty much the same thing, but in the opposite direction, for Johnson)
Astatine

Political Matrix
E: -0.72, S: -5.90

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2022, 10:49:43 AM »

Disagree big time about Macron. As far as I can say, in Ukraine now 99% love Boris Johnson, 75% love Joe Biden and maybe about 20% love Macron.

In general, I would say that Johnson is now our most popular foreign politician. At the same time, I would call Scholz and Orban the most unpopular leaders of the West here. In general, people in Ukraine now have the best attitude towards the Baltic states, Poland, Britain and the United States; worst to Hungary, Germany and Austria. I would say that every time Ukrainians (and this is quite often) with great pain endure the statements of various Western public officials about the "need to work with Russia after the war" or "the inability to give up Russian energy" and so on. And such statements, when they are once again made by Western politicians, clearly do not contribute to their popularity here
Interestingly, a new poll regarding attitudes of Ukrainians towards foreign leaders just dropped today:

Favorable/Unfavorable (might include rounding errors):

Polish President Duda: 92/3
British PM Johnson: 88/4
US President Biden: 85/9
Latvian President Nauseda: 76/3
Turkish President Erdogan: 76/10
French President Macron: 75/18
EU Comission President von der Leyen: 66/7
German Chancellor Scholz: 31/54
German President Steinmeier: 26/45
Belarussian President Lukashenko: 3/96
Russian President Putin: 0/99

Link: https://ratinggroup.ua/en/research/ukraine/devyatyy_obschenacionalnyy_opros_ocenki_mezhdunarodnogo_partnerstva_26_aprelya_2022.html
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2022, 12:32:34 PM »

Why isn't Macron that liked?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2022, 12:58:51 PM »

Probably because he thought he could "make a deal" with Putin for the longest time.
rc18
United Kingdom

« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2022, 01:08:08 PM »
« Edited: April 29, 2022, 01:36:32 PM by rc18 »

Why would he be? What has he done for Ukraine other than not being Le Pen? He spent the first month of the war having chats with Putin, while government-owned industries were reluctant to pull out of Russia.

Hell, even the self-propelled howitzers he's now sending are not from French stocks but are diverted exports to Morocco; this is Moroccan generosity, not French.

Notice that while he has a decent total favourable figure in the poll above, very few are strongly favourable. Even von der Leyen does better, at least she went to Kyiv. No senior French official has been to Kyiv yet AFAIK.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2022, 02:46:14 PM »

Interestingly, a new poll regarding attitudes of Ukrainians towards foreign leaders just dropped today:

Favorable/Unfavorable (might include rounding errors):

Polish President Duda: 92/3
British PM Johnson: 88/4
US President Biden: 85/9
Latvian President Nauseda: 76/3
Turkish President Erdogan: 76/10
French President Macron: 75/18
EU Comission President von der Leyen: 66/7
German Chancellor Scholz: 31/54
German President Steinmeier: 26/45
Belarussian President Lukashenko: 3/96
Russian President Putin: 0/99

Link: https://ratinggroup.ua/en/research/ukraine/devyatyy_obschenacionalnyy_opros_ocenki_mezhdunarodnogo_partnerstva_26_aprelya_2022.html
A shame they didn't poll Victor Orban...
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2022, 04:54:56 PM »

It’s giving Kosovo vibes.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2022, 12:27:19 PM »

Probably because he thought he could "make a deal" with Putin for the longest time.

Pope Francis is also taking an unrealistically rosy diplomatic approach and thus I would imagine isn't very well-liked right now. A lot of what he says assumes this "great power blocs fighting over a buffer state" model that's oddly dismissive of that alleged buffer state's own agency for someone from Latin America.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2022, 04:37:42 PM »

Pope Francis is also taking an unrealistically rosy diplomatic approach and thus I would imagine isn't very well-liked right now. A lot of what he says assumes this "great power blocs fighting over a buffer state" model that's oddly dismissive of that alleged buffer state's own agency for someone from Latin America.

It's anti Western rose tinted glasses. He's the most non European pope in centuries remember ?

I doubt Benedict or John Paul would say the same thing.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2022, 08:31:59 PM »

The people of Donetsk and Luhansk deserve to decide their own fate.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2022, 08:02:54 AM »
« Edited: May 05, 2022, 09:30:24 AM by tack50 »

Actually I will argue he will be better regarded than Abraham Lincoln is in the US. After all Lincoln won a Civil War, while Zelenskyy is repealing an invading force that has little to no sympathy. I cannot see the Ukranians eventually talking about "The war of Ukranian agression" or whitewashing the Russians in the same way the Confederacy was.

George Washington might actually be a better parallel here if anything?
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2022, 08:47:57 AM »

Actually I will argue he will be better regarded than Abraham Lincoln is in the US. After all Lincoln won a Civil War, while Zelenskyy is repealing an invading force that has little to no sympathy in the US. I cannot see the Ukranians eventually talking about "The war of Ukranian agression" or whitewashing the Russians in the same way the Confederacy was.

George Washington might actually be a better parallel here if anything?

Even at the height of confederate sympathizing in the early 20th, most southerners and southern historiographers tended to regard Lincoln as an honorable man and 'respectable enemy' who in their view would have treated the South more mercifully than the various 'scalawags' and 'carpetbaggers' who dominated Southern politics after the war.

Once in a while you'll see a crazed type denounce Lincoln, but most people of the Lost Cause side of things tend to adhere to that view even today.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2022, 11:36:09 AM »

What would you say the biggest disappointments/disagreements are of the ~25% that do not like Biden?
😥
andjey
Junior Chimp
Ukraine
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2022, 12:00:55 PM »

What would you say the biggest disappointments/disagreements are of the ~25% that do not like Biden?

Well, I would divide these people into 3 groups:

1) Trumpists. This is the first, largest group. American politics in Ukraine is well monitored. At the very least, almost everyone knows each nominee from the main parties and their main views. So, we also have Trampists. They believe that if Trump had been president, Putin would not have invided Ukraine, or the United States would have helped us even more;

2) The second group is people who believe that the United States is not doing enough to support Ukraine. First of all, these are people who are disappointed that there are no US troops here. But there are also those who believe that there is insufficient financial assistance from the United States;

3) Finally, the third group, which is also the smallest. These people perceive Biden as the almighty leader of the free world, and accordingly, he is to blame for all the problems associated with the war. For example, Orban is blocking another package of sanctions, but Biden is to blame for this, because he did not put enough pressure on the former
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies