Describe a Hispanic Protestant Democrat
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 07:40:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Describe a Hispanic Protestant Democrat
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Describe a Hispanic Protestant Democrat  (Read 960 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 28, 2022, 05:26:07 PM »

?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2022, 05:44:57 PM »

BRTD, after he discovered that he has an ancestor from Spain, and decides it would be cool to claim Hispanic ethnicity. These threads are spam BRTD. You know it, and I know it. Carry on.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2022, 05:55:19 PM »

BRTD, after he discovered that he has an ancestor from Spain, and decides it would be cool to claim Hispanic ethnicity. These threads are spam BRTD. You know it, and I know it. Carry on.
I've only made like four of them ever. I think bronz is probably the most prolific poster of them.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2022, 06:07:49 PM »

I've only made like four of them ever. I think bronz is probably the most prolific poster of them.

Four too many BRTD. Using bronz's act as a defense on this matter, is about as effective in my world as claiming Hitler is worse than Putin, as it were. No, no poster here is remotely as evil etc., as either of them, just in case some dimmer bulbs here misinterpret my text.

What party would a Godless gay guy affiliate with who is on Medicare, has loved pot since rocks cooled, and gets off on dissonant classical music (no Mozart please, thank you very much), and has lived all his live in densely populated areas that vote overwhelmingly Dem, and has attended schools, all of them in fact, the students of which are almost wall to wall Dem, BRTD?
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2022, 06:51:35 PM »

This is an interesting question, one that would spark discussion if left alone, that would be drowned out if placed anywhere else.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2022, 07:14:58 PM »

I don’t think they’re particularly uncommon.  Didn’t Obama win a majority of Hispanic Protestants?
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2022, 07:16:29 PM »

A mixed-race Hispanic Protestant.
TransfemmeGoreVidal
Fulbright DNC
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2022, 07:35:08 PM »

Probably more then a few actually.

1. A youngish progressive that was raised Catholic but joined a liberal Protestant congregation that was more in line with their stances on birth control and LGBT rights.

2. Theologically conservative evangelical who prioritizes immigration rights and economic issues over their social conservatism.
ملكة كرينجيتوك
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2022, 12:04:01 AM »

Probably more then a few actually.

1. A youngish progressive that was raised Catholic but joined a liberal Protestant congregation that was more in line with their stances on birth control and LGBT rights.

2. Theologically conservative evangelical who prioritizes immigration rights and economic issues over their social conservatism.

28% isn't exactly "a few", and only 9 points lower than 37%.

https://www.prri.org/spotlight/religion-divides-hispanic-opinion-in-the-u-s/

Among all Hispanic Americans, 37% identify as Democrats, 25% as independents, and 21% as Republicans. Hispanic Catholics closely mirror that, with 41% identifying Democrats, 20% as independents, and 19% as Republicans. Hispanic Protestants are less likely to identify as Democrats (28%) and more likely to be Republicans (32%) or independents (31%). Religiously unaffiliated Hispanics are much more likely to be Democrats (46%) than independents (22%) or Republicans (7%).
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2022, 04:08:09 AM »

I assume that BRTD is asking this question means that there are no Hispanics at his church.
Agonized-Statism
Anarcho-Statism
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -9.10, S: -5.83

P
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2022, 01:10:30 PM »

I knew a few in Houston. First or second generation Americans whose families converted to Protestantism, probably to get ahead, and as young people often do didn't like Trump.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2022, 01:25:24 PM »

If Wikipedia is to be believed;

Tony Cardenas, Ritchie Torres, Raul Ruiz are democratic hispanic Protestants in the house of reps.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_affiliation_in_the_United_States_House_of_Representatives
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2022, 11:37:38 PM »

I assume that BRTD is asking this question means that there are no Hispanics at his church.
Oh, there are. I'm asking actually because the typical Atlas poster tends to really overthink these sort of questions so I enjoy the responses.
Ethelberth
Rookie
Suriname

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2022, 12:39:13 AM »

Cardenas is some sort of Pentacostal. That list of affliations is famously inaccurate concerning smaller protestant denominations. For example UCC  has handfull of congressmembers not reported in this list.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2022, 01:12:13 AM »

There are many Salvadorans and Guatemalans in the US. Most of them are Protestant and, even in 2020, most of them who could vote supported Biden. Further, there are non-trivial numbers of Mexicans from Chiapas or Oaxaca, where Protestantism is more common. Then, of course, there are Hispanics who convert to Protestantism in the US.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2022, 07:57:09 PM »

There are many Salvadorans and Guatemalans in the US. Most of them are Protestant and, even in 2020, most of them who could vote supported Biden. Further, there are non-trivial numbers of Mexicans from Chiapas or Oaxaca, where Protestantism is more common. Then, of course, there are Hispanics who convert to Protestantism in the US.
Yeah I was thinking about Hispanic ELCA members (yes there's actually a significant number in the Twin Cities.) Good points in general of course, and the other posts in the thread were actually surprisingly non-bad/full of laughable overthinking.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2022, 02:25:55 PM »

This person has a graduate degree and works in a professional services firm.  One parent is an old money WASP Anglican, one parent is Puerto Rican.  They met at Yale.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2022, 06:45:41 PM »

This person has a graduate degree and works in a professional services firm.  One parent is an old money WASP Anglican, one parent is Puerto Rican.  They met at Yale.
Yeah that's an example of overthinking.

There's first language Spanish first generation Americans who go to mainline churches. My mom's best friend is one for example. Her daughter had a wedding with some Mexican traditions included in a Lutheran church.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies