thread about leak to destroy Atlasia
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 06:48:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  thread about leak to destroy Atlasia
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8
Author Topic: thread about leak to destroy Atlasia  (Read 7702 times)
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: April 25, 2022, 03:24:51 AM »

This whole thing makes me think more highly about MB - not less.
The man was a great Southern governor back in the day, he was a great gentleman today too.
Keep doing what you're doing, man. You're a man of integrity and honor.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #51 on: April 25, 2022, 03:35:36 AM »

I'd like to apologize to everyone for creating this mess. Specifically to Truman/KaiserDave I didn't intend for anything personal to result from it. But for better or for worse it's making everyone sort some things out.

Worst non-apology ever. Hope you enjoyed losing 90% of your friends for a sh**tty meaningless stunt.
I can’t make anyone like me.

What was so insane that your opinion could just completely 180 degree flip?

Don't f**king patronize me or respond to my comments anymore.
I (and many other people) really don't understand why you're doing this. You and Truman are the only ones who are taking this truly personally. I'm gonna be fine, you're gonna be fine, we're all gonna be fine. I've always liked you and never had any problem with you until today.

I just told you not to respond to my comments.
Rudely blowing me off as you did on discord over and over again isn't doing you any favors.

And for some reason you keep replying. I'm sorry you made the choice to burn your bridges with a bunch of folks and you'll be on ignore from now on. Congrats on impressing Adam Griffin, I guess: I'm sure his crappy new party will flourish with the "make budgets and die" system of government that makes a game fun to play.

He need not impress me now, for reasons I guess you don't even realize.

But let my old self give you some advice: toughen up, wise up, realize you can't cancel people by saying "bye" on a forum, and don't be such a raging dips[inks]t towards others in public or private. Old sacks of s[inks]t like me have seen a dozen generations of "I'm bored so now the game must die or it's dead" types come through: most of them just drift off once the fun is done for them, rather than trying to convince everybody else they're on some holy crusade to put their own boredom out of its misery.

If ya wanna play, then play. If you got some project or idea to change things up, then offer it and convince people. Some of us tried to tell the conspirators days/weeks ago that the whole idea of "this will only cost us 5 votes max" was a nonsensical idea. Whatever, I suppose. Everybody's entitled to try to break the game. As someone who probably did it more than anybody else over the past decade, I'll just say that this particular idea was never bound to work, regardless of leaks, olds, or anything else. Sorry.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #52 on: April 25, 2022, 03:48:14 AM »

And for some reason you keep replying. I'm sorry you made the choice to burn your bridges with a bunch of folks and you'll be on ignore from now on. Congrats on impressing Adam Griffin, I guess: I'm sure his crappy new party will flourish with the "make budgets and die" system of government that makes a game fun to play.

But let my old self give you some advice: toughen up, wise up, realize you can't cancel people by saying "bye" on a forum, and don't be such a raging dips[inks]t towards others in public. Old sacks of s[inks]t like me have seen a dozen generations of "I'm bored so now the game must die or it's dead" types come through: most of them just drift off once the fun is done for them, rather than trying to convince everybody else they're on some holy crusade to put their own boredom out of its misery.

If ya wanna play, then play. If you got some project or idea to change things up, then offer it and convince people. Some of us tried to tell the conspirators days/weeks ago that the whole idea of "this will only cost us 5 votes max" was a nonsensical idea. Whatever, I suppose. Everybody's entitled to try to break the game. As someone who probably did it more than anybody else, I'll just say that this was never bound to work, regardless of leaks, olds, or anything else. Sorry.

Dude, you weren't even active for the longest time until you started your dumb Old Labor thing like a week ago. And don't patronize me by giving me the "Wise Old Man" routine - to be very clear, you and I have accomplished the same amount, which is: nothing. Because it's a game. And it was always a game. If you thought bringing real world sh**t into Atlasia was a good way to own your opponents, that was your problem. And it's MB's problem, too: I'm sorry both of you seem to lack the social skills to understand why that would bother a lot of people.

If you really felt that way, you wouldn't be ranting on the forum and in the game you say means nothing. And if it means nothing, then you wouldn't be so salty about leaks in the first place. As pissy as I've gotten here over the years, I'm just glad I didn't mess with this as a teenager!

And yeah: this "wise old man" who has literally been on the road for two weeks and who did literally no GOTV until the final 12 hours of an election apparently womped all the sage, wise planning of a half-dozen or more of you "Labor leaders" had been doing for weeks - without running on anything whatsoever "outside the game" - hell, half the votes I got were just from people who love my ass so much they couldn't help but put a [1] next to my name.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #53 on: April 25, 2022, 03:54:01 AM »

What exactly is “real world sh**t” here? It’s an Atlasia chat. The leaks are of you discussing things related to Atlasia, not things related to the real world.

Once you’ve started using a medium to scheme and plot in this game, well, subterfuge and deception invites more of it. If you have a medium where you don’t want this to happen then don’t invite the devil in etc etc.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #54 on: April 25, 2022, 04:02:20 AM »

But let my old self give you some advice: toughen up, wise up, realize you can't cancel people by saying "bye" on a forum, and don't be such a raging dips[inks]t towards others in public. Old sacks of s[inks]t like me have seen a dozen generations of "I'm bored so now the game must die or it's dead" types come through: most of them just drift off once the fun is done for them, rather than trying to convince everybody else they're on some holy crusade to put their own boredom out of its misery.

If ya wanna play, then play. If you got some project or idea to change things up, then offer it and convince people. Some of us tried to tell the conspirators days/weeks ago that the whole idea of "this will only cost us 5 votes max" was a nonsensical idea. Whatever, I suppose. Everybody's entitled to try to break the game. As someone who probably did it more than anybody else, I'll just say that this was never bound to work, regardless of leaks, olds, or anything else. Sorry.

Dude, you weren't even active for the longest time until you started your dumb Old Labor thing like a week ago. And don't patronize me by giving me the "Wise Old Man" routine - to be very clear, you and I have accomplished the same amount, which is: nothing. Because it's a game. And it was always a game. If you thought bringing real world sh**t into Atlasia was a good way to own your opponents, that was your problem. And it's MB's problem, too: I'm sorry both of you seem to lack the social skills to understand why that would bother a lot of people.

If you really felt that way, you wouldn't be ranting on the forum and in the game you say means nothing. And if it means nothing, then you wouldn't be so salty about leaks in the first place. As pissy as I've gotten here over the years, I'm just glad I didn't mess with this as a teenager!

And yeah: this "wise old man" who has literally been on the road for two weeks and who did literally no GOTV until the final 12 hours of an election apparently womped all the sage, wise planning of a half-dozen or more of you "Labor leaders" had been doing for weeks without running on anything whatsoever "outside the game" - hell, half the votes I got were just from people who love my ass so much they couldn't help but put a [1] next to my name.

OMG! 😱 You weren't able to do GOTV until the last 12 hours of the election? I take back what I said, man. That's a huge accomplishment worthy of praise. Btw I'm not and have never been in Labor. It's also completely irrelevant to the matter at hand. Basically I don't particularly care that you once thought leaking private convos was a viable way to "win" at a game.

You obviously care about something related to this game, or else you wouldn't be raging. Labor-affiliated or not, you were involved - your bussy wouldn't be burping so much otherwise. You can take the age-old "I'M NOT OWNED, YOU ARE - I DON'T CARE ABOUT THIS GAME, STOP BEING A LOSER" shtick, but here you are whining and complaining because stuff you said related to the game got out in the end. In the words of the world-famous Shirley Cain, "who care".

Insult and injury are at the core of this game just like RL politics. I'm guessing this is the first time you've experienced it.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #55 on: April 25, 2022, 04:05:32 AM »

What exactly is “real world sh**t” here? It’s an Atlasia chat. The leaks are of you discussing things related to Atlasia, not things related to the real world.

Once you’ve started using a medium to scheme and plot in this game, well, subterfuge and deception invites more of it. If you have a medium where you don’t want this to happen then don’t invite the devil in etc etc.

Not to be too much of an "old man" here, but from around the end of 2016/early 2017, the teenagers on here really did become snowflakes for this kind of stuff. Attack them in-game and they start thinking it's literal assault or whatever. I think Trump's presence caused this wilting syndrome. Deeply Disturbing!
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #56 on: April 25, 2022, 04:12:26 AM »
« Edited: April 25, 2022, 04:15:50 AM by Adam Griffin »

And yeah: this "wise old man" who has literally been on the road for two weeks and who did literally no GOTV until the final 12 hours of an election apparently womped all the sage, wise planning of a half-dozen or more of you "Labor leaders" had been doing for weeks without running on anything whatsoever "outside the game" - hell, half the votes I got were just from people who love my ass so much they couldn't help but put a [1] next to my name.

OMG! 😱 You weren't able to do GOTV until the last 12 hours of the election? I take back what I said, man. That's a huge accomplishment worthy of praise. Btw I'm not and have never been in Labor. It's also completely irrelevant to the matter at hand. Basically I don't particularly care that you once thought leaking private convos was a viable way to "win" at a game.

You obviously care about something related to this game, or else you wouldn't be raging. Labor-affiliated or not, you were involved - your bussy wouldn't be burping so much otherwise. You can take the age-old "I'M NOT OWNED, YOU ARE - I DON'T CARE ABOUT THIS GAME, STOP BEING A LOSER" shtick, but here you are whining and complaining because stuff you said related to the game got out in the end. In the words of the world-famous Shirley Cain, "who care".

Insult and injury are at the core of this game just like RL politics. I'm guessing this is the first time you've experienced it.

I'm sorry, your profile says you're 34? Jesus Christ. Criticizing your sh**tty old tactics obviously got under your skin - I'm not going to convince you of what a lot of this board is that MB is, at best, clueless and empty headed and at worst a lot more uncaring about the trust of others. Anyway, again, good luck with your crap party.

The great thing about being 34 (or even 24!) is that I'm not dumb enough to be obsessed about "trust" in random online strangers in a political game - nor to try to recant a resignation from fantasy game moderator in the hopes of holding onto magic internet politics influence. Sounds like you need to go out and get a life, and learn how actual relationships and transactional politics works!

But to put it into a perspective you can understand based on your obsession: I just won a s[inks]t-ton of influence I wasn't even trying to win, while you're screaming about "trust" because your dumb explosion plan crumbled completely. So whatever. Even my long-term enemies in this game would think you sound completely ridiculous, so just stop. You can't talk about "trust" in one sentence while s[inks]t-talking people in the game in the next. Move on.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #57 on: April 25, 2022, 04:18:47 AM »

Lol, I know some dude who's been on the same sh**tty internet board for almost two decades isn't trying to give me his word salad version of "touch grass."

I'm the GM. Look forward to working with you.

And I can control the Supreme Court. And I can assure you, you are not any longer.

Even if you were:

I can assure you from experience that the position means absolutely jack-s[inks]t.
Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P
« Reply #58 on: April 25, 2022, 04:29:48 AM »

https://images.app.goo.gl/nWmrfM6xC21N7zD68
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #59 on: April 25, 2022, 04:41:52 AM »

For someone ranting about "magic internet politics" you have more delusions about your own imaginary influence than anyone I've ever met. I can conversely assure you that your own (widely mocked) position as a Supreme Court justice also means "absolutely jacksh**t".

Oh, wait...you think I'm on the Supreme Court? How cute.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #60 on: April 25, 2022, 04:50:17 AM »

For someone ranting about "magic internet politics" you have more delusions about your own imaginary influence than anyone I've ever met. I can conversely assure you that your own (widely mocked) position as a Supreme Court justice also means "absolutely jacksh**t".

Oh, wait...you think I'm on the Supreme Court? How cute.

The fact that I just roasted you for thinking anyone would give a sh**t about the imaginary power you think you have and you're still trying to suck yourself off in this thread is... truly astounding.

ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #61 on: April 25, 2022, 08:49:41 AM »

Maybe I missed a lot here, but leaks were status quo in this game for many, many years. PMs, DMs, Discord, IRC - you name it. Honestly, one of the biggest generators of drama and activity ever.

Oh, honey, there were leaks from AIM chat rooms in 2004. We also used some sort of online gaming group voice chat software for a while, but I can't remember its name at all. Teamspeak? Gamespeak? Something like that...

Anyway, for us Extreme Olds (tm), this was also a great topic of conversation: how much should we penalize folks transacting business off the Forum? So we discussed quite a bit how we needed to weigh the benefits of real-time communication against the fallout of scandals like this and, more importantly, the effects on activity. The fact is, once things that are exciting start happening off the forum, it starts draining activity away; although that doesn't matter all that much in some ways, it does affect our ability to recruit and retain useful talent who actually wants to productively contribute to the game because they don't see any of the information that is being circulated and discussed in a different location.

The fact is, this drama would have been much more interesting of a plotline if it were actually discussed and debated in public rather than (evidently) on Discord. Heck, the idea of abolishing the national government and implementing foreign policy as a game mechanic was something I tried to propose and advocate for before and around the last ConCon in 2015. It's not (inherently) a bad one. But when these discussions, arguments, counterarguments, and plots only happen in locations that aren't readily available to newcomers, it's not surprising we see few people being attracted this way. And it seems like these facts were exacerbated by the nihilism of the folks planning these events. Might as well make Atlasia's demise a self-fulfilling prophecy, eh?
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #62 on: April 25, 2022, 09:17:15 AM »

I regret reading this thread.
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
The Pieman
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #63 on: April 25, 2022, 09:28:04 AM »

The gay ops are real! FRAUD and RIGGING is confirmed as all smart people knew from the beginning.
Also this thread is aids.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #64 on: April 25, 2022, 10:46:15 AM »

probably a reference to the various points where real names are used in the logs? a name, fyi, is a word by which a person is identified in the real world, and so qualifies as "real world sh**t."

any time you dump a discord log of that size without making any effort to isolate the relevant parts and trim the rest, there's gonna be some personally identifiable information in it. it's mostly about fantasyland stuff, but there's passing discussion of users' real names, where they live, what they do — all things that are known within the server, but not to broader atlas. this is, in my opinion, what distinguishes this kind of leak from leaking individual PMs/DMs

i'm not gonna get hysterical and call it "doxxing" or whatever, but not a trend that should be encouraged, and i certainly understand why people are upset with MB over it. i know i will be more circumspect about what personal details i share on servers that include him in the future, and i would encourage others to do the same.
Wells
MikeWells12
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #65 on: April 25, 2022, 11:51:10 AM »

Glad certain people have come to the realization that this is a game - what an astute observation! I would never have known otherwise.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #66 on: April 25, 2022, 11:52:54 AM »

Maybe I missed a lot here, but leaks were status quo in this game for many, many years. PMs, DMs, Discord, IRC - you name it. Honestly, one of the biggest generators of drama and activity ever. I remember being PO'd whenever leaking PMs was suddenly an infractable offense on here.

I still don't understand the full scope of what was being planned, but if a group wants to end the game or whatever, I'm not sure what moral outrage exists when somebody "outs" your comments - especially when you've been publicly clamoring for such. Maybe I'm just an Old™ scheming a-hole, but these are the risks involved with conspiracies.
They're just pissed they got caught sh*ttalking a large variety of people.

Well that's usually how it always goes! Glad to see I haven't missed much!

Reminds me of when I fell asleep with computer still in @atlasforumIRC and when I woke the following afternoon (it was a crazy day), all of the usual suspects were in there so I just started collecting logs and then posted them on the forum. The most impactful ones were of club trash talking people, including people that still were somewhat favorable to them.

For me, it was all captain obvious, but for others it was the wake up call they needed.
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: 2.43

« Reply #67 on: April 25, 2022, 11:56:33 AM »

Maybe I missed a lot here, but leaks were status quo in this game for many, many years. PMs, DMs, Discord, IRC - you name it. Honestly, one of the biggest generators of drama and activity ever. I remember being PO'd whenever leaking PMs was suddenly an infractable offense on here.

I still don't understand the full scope of what was being planned, but if a group wants to end the game or whatever, I'm not sure what moral outrage exists when somebody "outs" your comments - especially when you've been publicly clamoring for such. Maybe I'm just an Old™ scheming a-hole, but these are the risks involved with conspiracies.

Reminds me of when I fell asleep with computer still in @atlasforumIRC and when I woke the following afternoon (it was a crazy day), all of the usual suspects were in there so I just started collecting logs and then posted them on the forum. The most impactful ones were of club trash talking people, including people that still were somewhat favorable to them.

For me, it was all captain obvious, but for others it was the wake up call they needed.

Maybe the real solution all along was to bring back Mibbit
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #68 on: April 25, 2022, 12:06:10 PM »

Honestly I've often 'dreamed' about this. While Discord provides features we could only dream of in IRC and introduced me to some great people in and outside of the game, it has also created reduced forum activity/voter engagement, added secrecy to a level I'm not sure is helpful, and added additional, unhelpful drama to the game on several occasions. While I'd personally keep using Discord for other, non-game purposes, returning the game to IRC could prove a good decision.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #69 on: April 25, 2022, 12:08:05 PM »

reject modernity, embrace tradition
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #70 on: April 25, 2022, 12:12:44 PM »

probably a reference to the various points where real names are used in the logs? a name, fyi, is a word by which a person is identified in the real world, and so qualifies as "real world sh**t."

any time you dump a discord log of that size without making any effort to isolate the relevant parts and trim the rest, there's gonna be some personally identifiable information in it. it's mostly about fantasyland stuff, but there's passing discussion of users' real names, where they live, what they do — all things that are known within the server, but not to broader atlas. this is, in my opinion, what distinguishes this kind of leak from leaking individual PMs/DMs

i'm not gonna get hysterical and call it "doxxing" or whatever, but not a trend that should be encouraged, and i certainly understand why people are upset with MB over it. i know i will be more circumspect about what personal details i share on servers that include him in the future, and i would encourage others to do the same.

Given the immediate regret Mega Brain demonstrated after the fact, I don't think he had really put a lot of thought into it beforehand. Unfortunately he won't be welcome in as many social circles as he was before. Certainly, I would have thought incriminating screenshots and things of that nature, while annoying, would have been "fair game" but a violation of privacy like that with doxxing potential was beyond the pale. If NC Yankee was more focused on his nominal job as a moderator and less focused on his daily "muh Labor demographics" pity party I would figure there would be some recrimination there.

I haven't read the full extent of what got leaked, but while I continue to abhor all the actions of those who took advantage of a meaningless resolution to launch a violent assault and constitutional crisis in an attempt to destroy the game, I will acknowledge my agreement with you on the bold. The leaking of any RL information without consent is highly inappropriate and should not be a part of the game. It was wrong when LT did it, and it's wrong to the extent that the Anti-OBD movement has done it.

I thank MB and NCY for taking action to limit the scope of who saw those leaks, and urge any future leakers to take care to redact RL information.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #71 on: April 25, 2022, 12:15:23 PM »

Given the immediate regret Mega Brain demonstrated after the fact, I don't think he had really put a lot of thought into it beforehand. Unfortunately he won't be welcome in as many social circles as he was before. Certainly, I would have thought incriminating screenshots and things of that nature, while annoying, would have been "fair game" but a violation of privacy like that with doxxing potential was beyond the pale. If NC Yankee was more focused on his nominal job as a moderator and less focused on his daily "muh Labor demographics" pity party I would figure there would be some recrimination there.

Why don't you check the posts and time stamps then compare those time stamps to when I made my long post in question before mouthing off.

And how is daily?

Do you just throw out nonsense as a strategy?
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #72 on: April 25, 2022, 12:18:52 PM »

I haven't read the full extent of what got leaked, but while I continue to abhor all the actions of those who took advantage of a meaningless resolution to launch a violent assault and constitutional crisis in an attempt to destroy the game, I will acknowledge my agreement with you on the bold. The leaking of any RL information without consent is highly inappropriate and should not be a part of the game. It was wrong when LT did it, and it's wrong to the extent that the Anti-OBD movement has done it.

I thank MB and NCY for taking action to limit the scope of who saw those leaks, and urge any future leakers to take care to redact RL information.

Thank you.

But the former's cold feet actions to delete his threat were useless, since he moronically decided to make an entire chat log available as a download. And the latter, as far as I can tell, took no corrective action at all other than deciding my swear words were offensive in a comment in this thread.

NCY deleted the doc link from LT's post. Of course, neither can control what people saved in their internet histories at this point.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #73 on: April 25, 2022, 12:20:38 PM »

I first pruned the quote pyramids from my own posts. Then inquired as to the content of the leaks since I didn't actually review it myself for lack of time and when it was replied to me with uncertainty expressed in terms of personal information contained therein, I determined it prudent to continue its extraction from there.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #74 on: April 25, 2022, 01:08:08 PM »

The main personal info I noticed waa a few ages or purported ages (their guess from me was like 15 years off) and a couple of references to states or cities where posters lived. I didnt notice any actual names but its so long i could have missed something.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies